Read 2243 times

• mich
  • Waygookin

• May 11, 2011, 10:53:23 am
    • Incheon
Help with grade 3 afterschool class
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:36 am »
I'm teaching my first grade 3 after school class tomorrow and everything I'm coming up with is too advanced for them!  I need some help with ideas (I'll consider anything at this point...) Very very basic activities.  Please can anyone help me?

• jgroh
  • Veteran

• December 02, 2010, 08:51:36 am
    • Ansan, South Korea
Re: Help with grade 3 afterschool class
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:46:48 am »
Which grade 3 do you mean?

Korea works as follows:
Elementary: 1-6
Middle: 1-3
High: 1-3

edit: if you're doing elementary afterschool, these two links might help.
elementary intermediate: grades 3-4: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,11368.msg91763/topicseen.html#new
and much more material (that can be worked into intermediate classes):
elementary advanced: grade 5-6: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,6575.msg50194/topicseen.html#new
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:34:48 am by jgroh »

• AC_in_Korea
  • Super Waygook

• July 30, 2010, 11:25:33 am
    • Miryang, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:28:32 am »
I teach a grade3/4 after school class, and I started with basic phonics for them. 

I have 4 sets of alphabet flashcards, and I put the kids in four groups.  Then I mix each set of the cards, and give each group one set.  On "GO" they have to arrange the letters properly.  Fastest team to finish correctly wins.

I also play Mario Game with them.  I used the template from waygook (THANK YOU SO MUCH!), and they have to tell me the letter, and the sound it makes.  If they are slightly more advanced, I ask them for a word that starts with that letter.

Here is the game that I started using with them.
Be the change you want to see in the world.

• AC_in_Korea
  • Super Waygook

• July 30, 2010, 11:25:33 am
    • Miryang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:53:14 am »
I also taught them parts of the body by singing head and shoulders with them.  Then we played a popular Korean game, in English.

You point to your nose and say nose, then point to your ear and say eye.  The students have to point to the body part said, not the one shown. It sounds like this "nose, nose, nose, nose, nose, eye."  Each time you say the body part, point to it, then try to trick them with the last one.

After they understood that body parts, I did a dice game with them.  I made two dice with body parts on them.  The students had to roll the dice and draw the body parts that came up.
There is two ways to do this. 
1. You can have them try to complete a normal body figure.  Therefore they need to roll 'arm' twice to be able to draw two arms, and if they roll 'arm' a third time, they don't get to do anything.
2. I let them draw all the body parts they roll (for a limited time) and we see whose alien is the best looking!

Then after these games, I play a Mario game with them that I, once again, got from here, and modified.
I have attached it for you.  This course of action can last anywhere from two to three classes.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

• mich
  • Waygookin

• May 11, 2011, 10:53:23 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:53:26 am »
sorry, i meant grade 3 elementary.  Thank you so0 much for the alphabet super mario game!  you saved my life!

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:56:53 am »
Go outside and play wolf game.  Just have them ask you "what time is it?" You answer 1 o'clock, 3 o'clock...so on.  When you say "lunch time"  they have to run.  Whomever you tag is the wolf and its starts over again. Its a tiring game..but they love it.  FInd a shady area in playground.  You can almost substitute anything for the target language.  Have Fun!
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/