Read 2280 times

Hi guys,

I just wanted to get some opinions on the current situation with the hiring of my replacement NET in a GEPIK public school.

The candidate the school really like falls into a higher pay category and as such my school cannot afford to hire them. However the candidate has consented to lower pay as my school is really appealing, stable, fun, relaxed etc and they feel it is worth the pay cut especially given the demand for public school jobs.

The problem is that apparently GEPIK does not allow teachers to take pay cuts in order to stay at their school or to be hired by a school. I cannot see the logic in this.

Imagine this scenario: a teacher has put in a year or more at the same school and therefore automatically falls into a higher pay category. That teacher wants to renew. The school receives a lower (or even the same) budget for the next year and cannot afford to pay the higher salary. The existing teacher is not allowed to volunteer for a pay/freeze in order to stay. The school has to find a new teacher that they do not know, has to pay recruiting fees, has train a new teacher etc etc etc.

I do not get it. Is GEPIK concerned that the teacher will turn around after starting and claim they never consented to the lower pay and start causing GEPIK a big headache?

Any thoughts/info?

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
Re: IS THIS LOGICAL? - Budget too low to hire more qualified teacher
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:03:55 am »
I am sure the fear of legal headaches is an issue, but I have a feeling it's the usual story of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:07:24 am »
Imagine this scenario: a teacher has put in a year or more at the same school and therefore automatically falls into a higher pay category. That teacher wants to renew. The school receives a lower (or even the same) budget for the next year and cannot afford to pay the higher salary. The existing teacher is not allowed to volunteer for a pay/freeze in order to stay. The school has to find a new teacher that they do not know, has to pay recruiting fees, has train a new teacher etc etc etc.

That's one side of it and certainly isn't good. However, the law sounds very logical to me because it protects our pay. Most schools would probably cut pay if they could, even just by one hundred or two hundred thousand a month. The saving would be small but nice for the school. The fixed salaries that have been established are dependant on experience and qualifications and mean that we all get paid fairly and appropriately. As usual with things like this, there are problems like the one you mentioned above but it's small compared to the benefit of having a system that pays fairly. My opinion, it's a logical law with an unfortunate side-effect.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:16:22 am »
I understand the legal ramifications with a school trying to save money, but in this case the candidate is consenting to a lower salary. If they sign the contract willingly there should not be an issue. Maybe GEPIK wants an affidavit to support the consent given...

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:24:25 am by thepeoplestrust »

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:49 am »

That's one side of it and certainly isn't good. However, the law sounds very logical to me because it protects our pay. Most schools would probably cut pay if they could, even just by one hundred or two hundred thousand a month. The saving would be small but nice for the school. The fixed salaries that have been established are dependant on experience and qualifications and mean that we all get paid fairly and appropriately. As usual with things like this, there are problems like the one you mentioned above but it's small compared to the benefit of having a system that pays fairly. My opinion, it's a logical law with an unfortunate side-effect.

I totally agree it does have an unfortunate side effect.  But it is a safe guard for a huge number of teacher's already here.  Any number of new graduates would work for a pittance here,  just to secure a PS job.  If schools were allowed to reduce the pay for us then a lot of them would.  Because it would help their bottom line.

It's sad for your friend but does offer the rest of us some protection

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:33:09 am »

I totally agree it does have an unfortunate side effect.  But it is a safe guard for a huge number of teacher's already here.  Any number of new graduates would work for a pittance here,  just to secure a PS job.  If schools were allowed to reduce the pay for us then a lot of them would.  Because it would help their bottom line.

It's sad for your friend but does offer the rest of us some protection

That is a really good point and one I had not considered. I suppose if you make one exception then you open the flood gates.

It is strange how this would still apply for a renewal though unless there really is weight given to the threat of legal proceedings.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:33:14 am »
Korea: Where logic goes to die.

I'm not surprised at all by this. I see examples of Korean "logic" every single day.