Read 1316 times

Are Coupang rewards worth the hassle?
« on: September 02, 2020, 11:53:50 am »
All I've done is tie my Coupang account to my bank account so I wouldn't have to do a transfer for every purchase.

Rocket pay, Smile whatever, I've ignored these things. Is it worth signing up for these benefits? If they entail installing addons or plugins, I'm out, but otherwise, I'm open to trying it out.

Re: Are Coupang rewards worth the hassle?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:10:46 pm »
I use Smile Pay for small online purchases. I set it up to bill straight to my phone. No great benefit but all you have to do is type in your PIN and payment is done rather than using Samsung AppCard or whatever. In the end the small timesaver +5,000 won or whatever signup discount was worth it.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 12:49:23 pm »
Rocket is essentially Amazon Prime. Faster shipping and automatic payment (actually saves you from every individual payment entry). I just linked my credit card so it automatically charges that anytime I make a purchase. It's like 2,500원 a month I think..? For me, yes, totally worth it. Setting it up also wasn't a hassle as I recall. It's been awhile but I don't recall a headache with that one as some Korean security has caused. Of course, knowing some Korean or having a friend to help will make it more smooth.
Also, especially during COVID and just being a weak person, you can use Coupang Fresh and have fresh food delivered generally within the day, so I hardly hit up the mart anymore and really helps my terrible back. For me, produce has been really good quality and generally competitive if not better prices.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 01:02:08 pm »
All I've done is tie my Coupang account to my bank account so I wouldn't have to do a transfer for every purchase.

Rocket pay, Smile whatever, I've ignored these things. Is it worth signing up for these benefits? If they entail installing addons or plugins, I'm out, but otherwise, I'm open to trying it out.
yeah you get 1% back. pretty good. think you auto sign up if you connect your bank account?

but yes, totally worth signing up for 로켓와우  as thecourttt said
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:04:09 pm by oglop »

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 07:08:10 am »
I guess it is worth it considering how much my wife orders. :/ The cost per month is 2,900won, not bad.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 10:28:19 am »
Considering how much I crammed my suitcase full of stuff from Seoul twice a year until recently.  Now that Coupang has come along, you can avoid it as much.  Though some things still can't be found online and  or in Seoul and vice versa that you can find in one or the other.  With Costco getting more "Korean" all the time, I'd say Coupang is the way to go.  Registration and set up had me wanting to throw my computer out the window and yell at them.  Lots of &&^%$* roadblocks.  But once you get through that,e asy enough I guess. 

I guess once a year now, I may still hit the places in Seoul but stock up less than before.  (Itaewon foreign food mart, Namdaemun Market underground and Namdaemun World Food Mart on ground level, Shinsegye Dept Store Myeongdong basement, etc)  Still some good finds in these places but Coupang makes it easier to avoid having to go up to Seoul to get your fix unlike up until 2 or 3 years ago. 

Still waiting to see what rewards I get.  I don't know anything about those.  I haven't been a joined debit card linked member for long.  (Still wish they took credit cards though.  One pain compared to G Market.) 

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:30:39 am »
Considering how much I crammed my suitcase full of stuff from Seoul twice a year until recently.  Now that Coupang has come along, you can avoid it as much.  Though some things still can't be found online and  or in Seoul and vice versa that you can find in one or the other.  With Costco getting more "Korean" all the time, I'd say Coupang is the way to go.  Registration and set up had me wanting to throw my computer out the window and yell at them.  Lots of &&^%$* roadblocks.  But once you get through that,e asy enough I guess. 

I guess once a year now, I may still hit the places in Seoul but stock up less than before.  (Itaewon foreign food mart, Namdaemun Market underground and Namdaemun World Food Mart on ground level, Shinsegye Dept Store Myeongdong basement, etc)  Still some good finds in these places but Coupang makes it easier to avoid having to go up to Seoul to get your fix unlike up until 2 or 3 years ago. 

Still waiting to see what rewards I get.  I don't know anything about those.  I haven't been a joined debit card linked member for long.  (Still wish they took credit cards though.  One pain compared to G Market.)

Coupang doesn't take credit card?

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 11:47:41 am »

At this point, between all the different online options, those places are for browsing and shopping. Like you'll definitely find something but it's more in the spontaneous sense than something you're actively looking for. Still worth the once a season weekend/in the area stroll though because you usually do find something you weren't counting on and brightens your day.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 02:57:34 pm »
Coupang doesn't take credit card?

No, just debit card and bank account withdrawal.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 03:01:22 pm »

I use my credit card on Coupang all the time

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 05:09:14 pm »
yes i just checked and 신용/체크카드 is one of the options

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 06:04:52 pm »

Do you have a normal name-brand credit card, or one of those store-brand ones?

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 01:52:49 pm »
don't mean to jump on the bandwagon but coupang is excellent equivalent to 'amazon' if you were back in the usa.

even if you don't want to pay for rocket shipping, if you meet the min amount you can still get free quick shipping but honestly 2900/month is really nothing (especially if you used to do amazon prime which was $99/month)!

they also have next day groceries (you need to meet a min which isn't that much)

and sometimes they have 새벽 (next day EARLY MORNING) shipping! so at 6 or 7am your stuff is already here! it doesn't have to be groceries either.
Sometimes even same day (you order early in the morning, you get it in the evening)

you can link your bank account which is perfect for those who don't have a cc or dc!
if you do bank account, every time you buy something, Coupang will send you an account number where you can transfer the money to (you must initiate this).

Debit card/credit card (IN KOREA): go nuts!

Credit card verification (AgAIN, FOR KOREAN CC): as long as you have a verification app, honestly getting your credit card linked up is like...pretty easy/straightforward.
Basically you need to go through a few steps to verify your id through your phone and it connects to another app (which you should already have if you've used a CC before on your phone and if not, this is the time to download it!), through that other app you'll verify your info, and then you can go back to coupang and it continue the next steps toward complete verification.

i'm not using coupang for the "rewards"...im using it because it's 10000 x's better than gmarket ^^
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:34:52 am by orange6ur1 »

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 02:52:49 pm »
Do you have a normal name-brand credit card, or one of those store-brand ones?

No, my VISA cards don't work.  They work with I Herb, Amazon, G Market, etc.  So, I don't hit Coupang often unless I really want something.  Both are bank credit cards and not store cards.  TD Visa and RBC Visa.  Won't take either VISAs unless they take MASTERCARD or some other card instead.  Weird.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 07:24:50 pm »
No, my VISA cards don't work.  They work with I Herb, Amazon, G Market, etc.  So, I don't hit Coupang often unless I really want something.  Both are bank credit cards and not store cards.  TD Visa and RBC Visa.  Won't take either VISAs unless they take MASTERCARD or some other card instead.  Weird.

Thats the problem! Canadian cards won’t work because they need to use the Korean verification system through your (Korean, post-paid) phone.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 07:40:57 am »
Thats the problem! Canadian cards won’t work because they need to use the Korean verification system through your (Korean, post-paid) phone.

Well, that's really stupid.  All the other sites take my cards.  I guess Coupang limits business on their part.  I will get a Korean merchant  once in a rare while decline my cards too.  So, I just go to one who does not.  VISA is suppose to be global and universal.  98% of merchants here do take them.  The odd one who doesn't, that's their problem.  I take my business elsewhere. 

I think Korean cards have a lot of restrictions on them anyways.  I tried years ago to get one or two but the anti foreign xenophobia thing they use to have going on blocked me and most other foreigners.  I do hear nowadays, foreigners can get them pretty easily.  But they still have a lot of restrictions.  So, I guess I never bothered.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:50:12 am by hangook77 »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 08:39:25 am »

I think Korean cards have a lot of restrictions on them anyways.  I tried years ago to get one or two but the anti foreign xenophobia thing they use to have going on blocked me and most other foreigners.  I do hear nowadays, foreigners can get them pretty easily.  But they still have a lot of restrictions.  So, I guess I never bothered.

If you're at a public school Lotte used to approve cards for foreigners.  Things do change but I saw one of the ladies with her booth set up at my local Kim's Club just yesterday.  That's how I got mine.  I've used it without any restrictions in Canada, US, England, Germany and Spain and on multiple websites.  I have had my credit limit raised significantly and even switched it to sync up with my Korean Airmiles account and will soon hit the threshold for the Morning Calm club at a time when I can't travel!

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 11:14:36 am »
Well, that's really stupid.  All the other sites take my cards.  I guess Coupang limits business on their part. 
I think the use of cell phone verification is to prevent fraudulent transactions in order to keep prices low and delivery reliable. I think Coupang might have more of an active merchant role in this, including having their own delivery fleet, so it makes sense for them to have extra security vs. a simple hosting platform like Gmarket.

I bet there's some way you can link your Canadian Card/Bank Acct to some sort of app that will let you circumnavigate this problem. Or perhaps charge to your cell phone bill. 

I tried years ago to get one or two but the anti foreign xenophobia thing they use to have going on blocked me and most other foreigners
A string of people bailing on their payments when they left is what prompted new restrictions, namely a deposit in the amount of the credit limit. Given the rate of delinquent payments, it's a sensible regulation. I think if we were the ones extending credit, we would want similar restrictions. Not everything is xenophobia or unjustified.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 12:10:31 pm »
I think the use of cell phone verification is to prevent fraudulent transactions in order to keep prices low and delivery reliable. I think Coupang might have more of an active merchant role in this, including having their own delivery fleet, so it makes sense for them to have extra security vs. a simple hosting platform like Gmarket.

I bet there's some way you can link your Canadian Card/Bank Acct to some sort of app that will let you circumnavigate this problem. Or perhaps charge to your cell phone bill. 
A string of people bailing on their payments when they left is what prompted new restrictions, namely a deposit in the amount of the credit limit. Given the rate of delinquent payments, it's a sensible regulation. I think if we were the ones extending credit, we would want similar restrictions. Not everything is xenophobia or unjustified.

Well, G Market, Amazon, I Herb, and others don't do this.  Just easier to buy from them rather than jump through their hoops. 

AS for delinquint, well I am sure there were Koreans who did the same.  But I got a hassle when I tried years ago.  Also the cards had low limits and the balances were non revolving (which defeats the whole purpose of a credit card).  It is easier to get cards nowadays the last few years I have heard.  But low limits and non revolving balances still put me off.  Maybe I'll get one to say I have one someday.  Also I heard the card was restricted when you went to other countries.  Though my Nonghyup check card was the same.  But it did work in Toronto airport a couple of years ago.  So, I was surprised on that one.  Never use to work abroad before. 

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 01:03:49 pm »
Well, G Market, Amazon, I Herb, and others don't do this.  Just easier to buy from them rather than jump through their hoops. 

AS for delinquint, well I am sure there were Koreans who did the same.  But I got a hassle when I tried years ago.  Also the cards had low limits and the balances were non revolving (which defeats the whole purpose of a credit card).  It is easier to get cards nowadays the last few years I have heard.  But low limits and non revolving balances still put me off.  Maybe I'll get one to say I have one someday.  Also I heard the card was restricted when you went to other countries.  Though my Nonghyup check card was the same.  But it did work in Toronto airport a couple of years ago.  So, I was surprised on that one.  Never use to work abroad before. 

Hi, if you use rocket, you don't have to verify any payment. 1 click and done.