Read 909 times

Are All Kindergartens This Crazy? What's Your Experience?
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:55:43 pm »
   I moved from teaching elementary and middle school kids in afternoons and evenings, to teaching at a kinder-elementary hagwon. This is the second time I have taught at a kindergarten. It's been a bit  of a shock.
   This current job is definitely the busiest and most stressful job I have done in Korea. At this hagwon , we  have a very high teaching workload, yet the salary does not reflect this. Even so, what I noticed about both kindergartens I taught at is that I've heard a lot more about finances and money concerns.. Bosses grumbling about the rent of the foreign teachers apartments; teachers being moved to cheaper apartments much further away from the school,  parents  moaning about school fees, and parents in general managing the school by remote control.  When I taught at elementary hagwons, finances weren't mentioned much, and yet I had a lighter workload and shorter day.  Back then, parent's wishes were in the background, but now they are in the foreground.
    Some people I know said they had similar experiences with crazy kindergartens. Yet one of my colleagues insists that NOT all kindergartens are that crazy. Some are better-organised.
   Is that so? What do you think? I'd like to read about your experiences at kindergartens.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Are All Kindergartens This Crazy? What's Your Experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 07:32:11 am »
kindergartens seem to be entry-level jobs for most native teachers here. i imagine most bosses pay low wages and give a higher workload because they expect their teachers to be young and a bit of a push-over. they also know they can easily replace the foreign teacher. actual teaching skill isn't much of an issue because many kindergartens lie to the parents about teacher experience/qualifications, their child's behaviour in class and how much their child is actually learning

from what i hear from friends who work in these places (in seoul, anyway) is that they are all pretty similar and the bosses are usually nuts/terrible/over-demanding. although i do know a few people who have continued working at the same kindy job for a few years now, but they always complain about it and their wages are still low..so i dunno...

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 08:27:29 am »
I think it has something to do with this:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2020/03/181_264372.html

I heard Kindergarten hagwons have been under fire for having shady business practices and they are scrambling to make sure all the paperwork is official now.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 02:37:50 am »
I thought many of them, though not all, paid more.  I had seen kindie ads like 9 to 6 30 or so paying 2.6 to 2.9 or even 3 million won on some of the Facebook groups.  Many are in Gangnam and other richer areas though.  More work or a bunch more of shorter periods.  So maybe the same, but could be rough since the kids want to run around and play more.  It prob is helpful to know some basic Korean.  Though I don't know if they put a Korean teacher in the class with you at the same time or not.  Usually hakwons 1 to 9 or so, you are by yourself.  You teach one group one day and the Korean teacher teachers that group the next day.  Maybe you alternate between two classes every day?

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 03:31:56 am »
   I moved from teaching elementary and middle school kids in afternoons and evenings, to teaching at a kinder-elementary hagwon. This is the second time I have taught at a kindergarten. It's been a bit  of a shock.
   This current job is definitely the busiest and most stressful job I have done in Korea. At this hagwon , we  have a very high teaching workload, yet the salary does not reflect this. Even so, what I noticed about both kindergartens I taught at is that I've heard a lot more about finances and money concerns.. Bosses grumbling about the rent of the foreign teachers apartments; teachers being moved to cheaper apartments much further away from the school,  parents  moaning about school fees, and parents in general managing the school by remote control.  When I taught at elementary hagwons, finances weren't mentioned much, and yet I had a lighter workload and shorter day.  Back then, parent's wishes were in the background, but now they are in the foreground.
    Some people I know said they had similar experiences with crazy kindergartens. Yet one of my colleagues insists that NOT all kindergartens are that crazy. Some are better-organised.
   Is that so? What do you think? I'd like to read about your experiences at kindergartens.

I never heard or thought of this before, but ya know....it's starting to make sense.
I've worked 2 kindergartens and it was the same....finances being in the forefront. Like your example of moving the foreign teachers further away to a cheaper location. Second kindy folded.

I've since worked for elementary academies and have never heard much of anything about finances at any of them. Parents don't get too involved and my hours have always been way better than when teaching kindy...and the pay has always been higher as well. Right now I teach part-time at a very small hagwon and get paid 40k/hr which I'm really happy about.

These "facts" never really dawned on me before, but seem to be true. And yeah...kinder tends to be crazier.