• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:58:56 pm by NorthStar »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: Bupyeong Position
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 05:23:15 am »
Rather than start a new topic, put it in the other thread you made: Its 2003, again!.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 10:49:26 am »
from 1.30 - 6.30 you should be getting x3 that salary!

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 02:26:10 pm »
That email address pretty much sums it up! LOL

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 02:49:17 pm »
As I predicted months earlier, job offers like this will become more and more common. We haven't even reached rock bottom yet.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 02:57:34 pm »
Kpops becoming more popular in the West = more applicants = worse job offers.

This video just came out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXZj0DzXIA

Kpop in English?

Im surprised!

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 10:36:06 pm »
 K-POP's becoming more popular in the West. But surely K-Pop is a TERRIBLE reason to move to South Korea!  :cry: I mean that while I have had many wonderful experiences in Korea, I am very much aware that this is a country where people can walk into terrible job situations, especially when they get starry-eyed over things like K-Pop. It doesn't make sense to accept a risible salary level, merely for the chance to live in Gangnam and meet the Beautiful People.
   And if people are financially desperate, they still need to look for a job that will be acceptable financially.
I remember that 20 years ago, there was all this talk about "Cool Japan." Tokyo was so sophisticated, so advanced and so cool. There were manga and sushi, the Asimo robots and capsule hotels. There were cultural events like the Gion Matsuri in Kyoto, there were cool martial arts and amazing places to see, like Mount Fuji or Kamakura.
   I could go on and on.
   However, if you applied to work in Japan, private schools, or organisations like JET would tell you that in fact, you'd be lucky to get a job in Japan at all. Japan was such a great country, and so popular and so special, that you would have to be super humble and accept any job-especially a public school job in a very rural, remote location with nothing to do outside school. Or else the schools would chant their usual formulaic spiel: very long commutes and eye-wateringly high rents are part of the "cultural experience," and it was okay to get into debt for the honour of living in Cool Japan.
    South Korea isn't quite that bd for us foreigners, but that's only true when you are working for reliable employers.
    When Cool Japan was a major thing, teaching salaries in Korea were significantly  higher in real terms.  That meant a greater potential to save money. But none of that would make one whit of difference to people who landed a job where the employer did not honour the contract.