Read 99970 times

• Robotka
  • Veteran

• October 05, 2010, 01:05:29 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Grade 5, Lesson 12 - This is a Bedroom (2011, Merged with old)
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2011, 03:24:57 pm »
And here are my wonderful powerpoints from Open Class (we did Day 3 of lesson 12).  I made them from scratch to be unique.

The House Rooms one we used for Listen and Read A, reviewing rooms we'd already introduced.  I found really beautiful mostly monochrome rooms to illustrate the words my co-teacher suggested.  Then there's a diagram of a house at the end with all the rooms again (except balcony, since it actually has porches instead).

The Jjanggu sentence game is a white board game but would probably work just having students write the sentences in their notebooks or on paper.  The second slide has a photo with the faces cut out, which you can insert your own photos behind.  I put pictures of myself and my coteacher there, and the kids thought it was pretty funny.  (One girl said, "Teacher...scare.")  It also took a long time to play, since I did two sentences per slide.  We finished it the next class.

• Lisac
  • Waygookin

• February 25, 2011, 08:00:55 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #201 on: November 14, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »
i showed the video of the Jay's tiny house and the grade 5s loved it. they thought it was interesting. And when i asked if anyone wants to live in such a small house. Many students esp boys want to try to live in it.

Thanks to whoever that posted the video ^__^

« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2011, 08:44:57 am »
Attached is a short writing/collocation exercise from Lesson 12.

• pavisse
  • Explorer

• October 30, 2011, 09:52:20 am
    • Gunwi, Gyenbuk
Grade 5, Lesson 12, Reading Writing Board Game
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »
Howdy Howdy,

I'm new at this but my board game seemed to go over well last week.
It's simple, printable, and covers the rooms of the house.
We have dice in the class and then we had the kids use their erasers and such for game pieces.

I had them roll the die till they got to a room and then they had to write down a sentence for what the room was.
They went crazy when I had them go back to the beginning every time they forgot to put a period.
Either way they seemed to enjoy themselves and I will probably repeat this for some of the other chapters, with different images.

I will also attach another image with the sentences written out so you can have a reading/speaking exercise.

• kalamin
  • Waygookin

• September 07, 2011, 03:02:24 pm
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2011, 02:51:33 pm »
I showed an episode/clip of cribs

• eaglejam
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2010, 08:35:26 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2011, 08:59:16 am »
basic MTV Teens video, good for introduction,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV6qQiMQrAQ

« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2011, 03:34:27 pm »
Here's a good story to use instead of storytime.  Has a review after the story too.

• toddt
  • Adventurer

• September 22, 2010, 02:16:53 pm
    • Hanam-si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2012, 02:44:47 am »
Here is a Simpsons review you can use with your students. I took screen shots of various Simpsons episodes with various characters in various locations around the house :)

• laurac
  • Adventurer

• September 20, 2010, 07:44:44 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »
hey this a groupwork code finder,
the first page is for the teacher.
cut up all of the rest of the paper for each student in each group.
They should decode individually and then put their results together and draw the end result (the house and its contents)

• ktaektae
  • Waygookin

• February 22, 2011, 09:35:57 pm
    • korea
Re: 2010-2011 Grade 5, Lesson 12 - This is a Bedroom
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »
This is listen_and_repeat close gap ppt. I hope it is usful for all.

• ivveee
  • Newgookin

• December 12, 2011, 03:32:38 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »
This is an interesting PPT you can you for this lesson.

Re: Dream Bedroom Design, for "This is a Bedroom"
« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »
Thanks!

I'm going to upload more of my elementary lessons... Those of us who never have co-teachers in the room while we're teaching (ahem), should start deviating more from the textbook.

If I could get my hands on the people who wrote the more racist bits of the book....

it was hard for my students to understand the conept of the dream bedroom, because in korea they dont really have bedrooms. the house isnt looked at the same as it is in America. so I had to explain a lot, plus my students are lower level, some words were very hard for them.

I am constantly trying to supplement the Grade 5 textbook. I generally skip all the activities that are linguistically incorrect, racist or just plain wrong (like pointing to a dining room and calling it a living room). I never do the chants or the songs, and my students only take about 2 minutes to write the Grade 2 level words (like "grapes" or "apple") that are in the book.

Here is an example of something I've done recently:

1. Ask the students about the rooms in their house. How many bedrooms? Who sleeps there?

2. Write "Dream Bedroom Design" on the board. Words li
ke "dream" and "design" have been konglishized, so they should understand. Use this website to further introduce the idea of designing your own bedroom, and get them excited about the prospect:
http://www.oyunlar1.com/online.php?flash=11

3. Give them a worksheet, but tell them not to write on it until you have told them to. Then, question by question, brainstorm answers. Example: What is your favorite color? And write all the colours that they shout out to you on the board. It greats a great energy. Do this for all 6 questions. You're just reviewing basic vocabulary here... colours, sports, animals... so it shouldn't be a problem. Write them on the board, and stick appropriate magnets/flashcards next to them for your visual learners.

4. Explain/translate "theme"... in Korean: 주제 or 제목 (ju-jae or jae-mok). Essentially, they choose one of their answers (or a combination of them) and make up their theme.

5. Each student draws out their dream bedroom. Again, you may want to show the website flash game again. You can also go over vocab like bed, dresser, carpet...

6. The 2nd part is more difficult. Basically, once they colour in their picture, they have to tell you about it, using "There is..." and "There are...". Illustrate the difference between these two. This part takes a lot of teacher support... and you'll end up with similar sentences (There is a blue dresser)... but hey... it's a lot better than singing a decontextualized song about a future house that makes no sense to anyone....

the students had a hard time doing this one because they all live in apartments. but with the help of my co-teacher we were able to manage and get the students to learn what objects are in a bedroom

[mod edit - merged posts]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:35:10 pm by complex303 »

• divine
  • Adventurer

• November 19, 2010, 04:55:53 pm
    • Geumsung, Gyeonsanbukdo
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2012, 03:22:39 pm »
Hello everyone,

If you are finding your students are struggling with this lesson, try introducing the first lesson with this Pink Panter video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxrJI_Tna8&feature=related

This is a great video to begin this lesson with.Ciao!