Read 1567 times

Most depressing/disturbing movies you've seen.
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:54:59 pm »
Depressing:

3 - Amistad
2 - Sometime in April
1 - Requiem for a Dream

Disturbing

1 - Rosemary's Baby

(I only have 1 here and it's "that" movie. It's extremely unique in that my wife, who's particularly squeamish about horrors, actually enjoyed this movie while I, who absolutely thrive off disturbing horror, can't bring myself to watch it a second time. It's not particularly scary it's the gradual crescendo of claustrophobia I find deeply unsettling. It's a masterpiece and does what it does brilliantly... and I can't watch it again. I've enjoyed movies like "Dogtooth", but nothing disturbs me like this one.

No... I'm NOT going to watch "A Serbian Film".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:00:35 pm by Aristocrat »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: Most depressing/disturbing movies you've seen.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 11:04:47 pm »
Enter the Void reallyessed me up.

And Zodiac lake scene makes me feel super uncomfortable, even on the seventh time.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• hippo
  • Super Waygook

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 12:40:25 am »
Depressing:

* Shawshank Redemption -- It's supposed to be uplifting, about staying determined, a story of overcoming obstacles.  I just thought of how unrealistic it was, and how being alone, trapped, and being atomized for years destroys a person.  Dude would have never had made it.  ( I have never watched any horrible documentaries about the Holocaust The readings and trip to the Holocaust Museum were enough for me ).  I have never read the book, so I do not know how it gels with the movie.

* Disturbing -- The Act of Killing (though the seeing The Look of Silence is worth seeing).  The leaders of Indonesia were allied with the "right" countries, so they were good.  They murdered people to maintain power.  They never faced any meaningful consequences because you are "good" if you are an ally of the "free world."  They presumably had at least some guilt about the murders and bloodshed on the "Communists," so they did the killings based on Hollywood movies familiar to the murderers.   In effect, they seemed to try to disassociate by re-enacting what they had seen at the theater in movies they had enjoyed.  In the movie, they reenact the real-life murders, which in turn were based on Hollywood films.  The sequel, The Look of Silence, seeks to prompt people to look at the murders again, examing the morality of killing for power. Yay, humanity! :-)

On a more crass note: I will never forget my involuntary viewing of Two Girls and a Cup.  I only saw a few seconds, but that was enough.

My parents let me watch whatever I wanted when I was a kid, so I have never really been bothered by "horror" or anything like that.  It is usually the real things that freak me out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:56:18 am by hippo »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 01:27:26 am »
My Own Private Idaho

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 03:55:50 am »
1. THREADS

2. THE ROAD

3. LETTERS FROM A DEAD MAN (Russian).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:58:57 am by Titus Groan »

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 05:37:20 am »
And Zodiac lake scene makes me feel super uncomfortable, even on the seventh time.

Oof. Yes. Neither I nor my wife were ready for that scene when it sprang up. We also almost had to walk out of the theater during “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” rape scene(s). David Fincher has a knack for those squirmy scenes.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 06:25:04 am »
Depressing - Sweet Sixteen, Ken Loach
Disturbing -   Eraserhead

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 07:34:53 am »
Come and See (USSR - 1985) A film about a 16 year old boy who wants to find a gun meaning he can fight in the war.  He does, and you follow him around through the war, ending up in an awful massacre in a French village by SS troops.  The boyish looks he starts with go as he looks about 50 years old from everything he's seen and endured.  Amazing film, but harrowing.  You could probably add a fair few other war films into this too.   

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

• uninvitedlark
  • Explorer

• April 03, 2020, 08:53:43 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:14:28 am »
Depressing:

- Amour x Michael Haneke, solely based on my viewing experience. it's about the love and death of an old couple, but i watched it on a wednesday matinee where, well, you guessed right, it was packed with old people. by the end of the film, everyone was crying. to see so many old people see themselves on screen really made the rest of that wednesday gray.

Disturbing:

- anything by gaspar noe. recently, his film climax did a number on me. what a wild, nauseous ride. but hey, i personally don't like 'feel good' movies. i prefer 'feed bad' movies. i already feel good about my life! i don't need a movie to do that for me.

also, for any movie buffs out there using letterboxd, feel free to add me here:

https://letterboxd.com/bulgogiboi/

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 10:04:17 am »
Uninvitedlark, following!
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 10:36:00 am »
In the disturbing category, I nominate The Human Centipede. It doesnt get much worse than this. Enjoy if you havent seen it, preferably at night and alone.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 10:44:35 am »
In the disturbing category, I nominate The Human Centipede. It doesnt get much worse than this. Enjoy if you havent seen it, preferably at night and alone.

Watched it, was pretty fun but not too bad. Try Green Inferno or Cannibal Holocaust.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 11:45:19 am »
Depressing:

3 - Amistad
2 - Sometime in April
1 - Requiem for a Dream

Disturbing

1 - Rosemary's Baby

(I only have 1 here and it's "that" movie. It's extremely unique in that my wife, who's particularly squeamish about horrors, actually enjoyed this movie while I, who absolutely thrive off disturbing horror, can't bring myself to watch it a second time. It's not particularly scary it's the gradual crescendo of claustrophobia I find deeply unsettling. It's a masterpiece and does what it does brilliantly... and I can't watch it again. I've enjoyed movies like "Dogtooth", but nothing disturbs me like this one.

No... I'm NOT going to watch "A Serbian Film".

Amistad: 1997
Sometime in April: 2005
Requiem for a Dream: 2000
Rosemary's Baby: 1968

Total =  7970/4=1992

Stop bringing up all those stupid old movies that no one on the planet wants to watch. I only want to watch movies that are going to be released tomorrow, just like every other  person on the planet. Who cares what was popular decades ago. No one! That's who.

As an aside. Precisely what does extremely unique mean? Is it more unique than kinda unique? Or sorta unique? It's gotta be more unique than almost unique, that's a given. How about incredibly unique. I bet that is more unique than extremely unique.

:-) 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 11:48:39 am »
Depressing: Anything to do with religion

Disturbing: same same

I like new movies, like Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 01:12:47 pm »
Star Wars: Episode VI. The good guys lose to a bunch of teddy bears.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 02:41:22 pm »
Antichrist always sticks in my mind. not a good movie to watch at 2am while really high.

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 02:48:12 pm »
Antichrist always sticks in my mind. not a good movie to watch at 2am while really high.

That may the only time worth watching it.

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 03:16:32 pm »

It had its moments, but most of the time I felt like I was back at university, sitting in a Psych lecture. Still, was a pretty good movie, most disturbing thing was seeing William Dafoe's sausage.

That reminds me of 'Nymphomaniac' (2013) another disturbing movie, which had some pretty awful scenes.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 03:50:37 pm »
It had its moments, but most of the time I felt like I was back at university, sitting in a Psych lecture. Still, was a pretty good movie, most disturbing thing was seeing William Dafoe's sausage.

Willem Dafoe: Wisconsin native! Must’ve been a bratwurst. For more on Willem Dafoe sausage, see “The Lighthouse”.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 04:50:15 pm »

That reminds me of 'Nymphomaniac' (2013) another disturbing movie, which had some pretty awful scenes.
haha yeah. it was while i was at university that i watched it actually. it was my complete unpreparedness for it which probably made it more disturbing

"hey guys, wanna watch this film i found? i heard it's pretty cool"

yeah thanks a bunch gary