Read 1735 times

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
10,000 Frenzied Cult Members Descend on Seoul
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:14:37 am »
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200816000062

On Saturday, more than 10,000 people took part in rallies in downtown Seoul, including one led by a far-right group, and participated in by pastor Jun Kwang-hoon and other members of Sarang Jeil Church in Seoul.

"Pastor Jun broke the self-isolation rule and spread false information to deliberately delay virus tests for church members," acting Mayor Seo Jeong-hyup said in a press briefing Sunday.

During a recent media report, Jun claimed that the COVID-19 infections among his church members seem to have been caused by "virus terrors by outside forces."

A total of 4,066 members are required to undergo virus tests, but the authorities have failed to reach 669 people, according to the city government.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: 10,000 Frenzied Cult Members Descend on Seoul
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:45:40 am »
Well, I mean, Mr. Jun isn't wrong. Infections usually are brought in via "virus terrors by outside forces".  :undecided:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:59:24 am »
just copying this from reddit

That pastor, Jeon Gwang Hoon, is the same class act who stated publicly that if he were to order women in his congregation to remove their panties, then they would do so. Last year he also made waves for saying that he would "kill God" if his deity got in his way.

And to think this guy is the head of the Christian Council of Korea (CCK), representing millions of Christians in this country. What the hell is wrong with people?

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 10:13:28 am »
just copying this from reddit

That pastor, Jeon Gwang Hoon, is the same class act who stated publicly that if he were to order women in his congregation to remove their panties, then they would do so. Last year he also made waves for saying that he would "kill God" if his deity got in his way.

And to think this guy is the head of the Christian Council of Korea (CCK), representing millions of Christians in this country. What the hell is wrong with people?

Sounds like your run of the mill cult leader.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 10:29:17 am »
Sounds like your run of the mill cult leader.
why ARE there so many weird cults in korea? what makes koreans more susceptible to this nonsense than other countries?

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 10:31:12 am »
I always found it odd that Christians in Korea never considered Catholics to be Christians.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 11:04:28 am »
why ARE there so many weird cults in korea? what makes koreans more susceptible to this nonsense than other countries?

Definitely happens in other countries, off the top of my head, USA had the FLDS, Helter Skelter (doomsday cult) and People's Temple. Japan had that Aum Shinrikyo, they gassed the Tokyo subway, during rush hour, in the 90s. South Africa has some extremely loony pastors, recently, one of them demanded a couple thousand dollars from their congregation so they could journey to hell to fight the devil and get the cure for the CCP virus.

I'd say, cults in the US reached their peak during the "revolution" on the 70s and continued on till the 80s. The US was generally a straight-laced and heavily conservative society till The Beatles came along and counter-culture became wildly influential, paving the way for these cults. Just my opinion, but when I see these televangelists and pastors, flying around in private jets, I'd go out on a limb to define them manipulating the gullible and vulnerable and creating a type of cult or cult personality.

With places like Japan and Korea, the history and culture is different to the west and the base culture of Confucianism makes people a lot more susceptible and accepting of authority figures.

Still, the common factor, with cult followers in the West in East is that they're all brainwashed by highly intelligent and manipulative narcissists. With every cult, you'll find people not worshipping a deity, but being convinced to worship a person.

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 11:16:52 am »

We actually have a bunch in Utah (mostly weird mormon offshoots).

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 11:19:43 am »
is Catholicism a cult then? people worship a leader (the pope), it's the richest church in the world, lots of abuse of power, scandals, etc

what's different between a cult and a religion? just..size?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 11:23:21 am »

really. it's all alien to me. i mean, we get jehovah witnesses in the uk but i haven't heard about any other ones

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 11:26:02 am »
is Catholicism a cult then? people worship a leader (the pope), it's the richest church in the world, lots of abuse of power, scandals, etc

Yeah, just size I'd say. The RC church has cults within it like Opus Dei (Da Vinci Code) though they probably wouldn't 'name themselves as such.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 11:36:11 am »

I don't think so, I went to a Catholic school and during morning mass, my friends didn't seem to be worshipping him, they seemed to be worshipping God, Mary or Jesus (I'm not sure). I think their pope is more like a guide or leader of their
Faith. The institution and political power of the Vatican, much like the house of Saud, is another matter.

Personally, I'd define a cult as having a leader who manipulates his/her followers into giving him/her money, sex, obedience etc. and/or worshipping the cult leader.
Cults typically hide under the broad term of a more legitimate Religion i.e. ISIS and the Taliban hide under Islam, Shincheonji hides under Christianity and so do the FLDS. I'm pretty interested in cults and, as said, the cult leaders oftentimes begin by baiting followers in, under the guise of doing good; the People's Temple actually did some pretty good things in the community. Gradually, as the followers become more involved, the veil gets lifted and by this point, the followers are brainwashed and trapped.

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 11:51:26 am »
My favorite cults are the cargo cults.  This is typically pre-industrial island peoples  basing much of their beliefs around 20th technology left around from the Second World War.  They have a charismatic leader(s) who helps them form and understand their social relationships in a way that helps them make since of the airplane or other new technologies that have landed near them.  These are new, so you can see new cults (or religions if they ever get big enough) being formed.  Here’s Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Makes the head of Ancient Aliens seem like a cult leader almost.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:57:03 am by hippo »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 01:14:04 pm »

Personally, I'd define a cult as having a leader who manipulates his/her followers into giving him/her money, sex, obedience etc. and/or worshipping the cult leader.

i mentioned Catholicism because they have a history of "having a leader who manipulates his/her followers into giving him/her money, sex, obedience etc. and/or worshipping the cult leader." maybe not the pope, but leaders in power - and then it being covered up by the leaders. and what about tithe? that's basically being conned into giving your money away because "God loves a cheerful giver"

Cults typically hide under the broad term of a more legitimate Religion i.e. ISIS and the Taliban hide under Islam, Shincheonji hides under Christianity and so do the FLDS. I'm pretty interested in cults and, as said, the cult leaders oftentimes begin by baiting followers in, under the guise of doing good; the People's Temple actually did some pretty good things in the community. Gradually, as the followers become more involved, the veil gets lifted and by this point, the followers are brainwashed and trapped.
what even makes a religion "legitimate"? anyway, i'd argue all religion brainwashes their followers and to an extent traps them. if you stop believing, you'll go to hell/god will be angry/you'll never reach enlightenment and break samsara (i think that's what we learnt at school)

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 02:06:32 pm »
i mentioned Catholicism because they have a history of "having a leader who manipulates his/her followers into giving him/her money, sex, obedience etc. and/or worshipping the cult leader." maybe not the pope, but leaders in power - and then it being covered up by the leaders. and what about tithe? that's basically being conned into giving your money away because "God loves a cheerful giver"

Well, I've met some pretty awesome Catholics who've only done good for the community by running soup kitchens and other charity drives in Cape Town. I'm not prepared to paint an entire religion and it's followers with a single brush.

what even makes a religion "legitimate"? anyway,

That's for each of us to decide.

i'd argue all religion brainwashes their followers and to an extent traps them. if you stop believing, you'll go to hell/god will be angry/you'll never reach enlightenment and break samsara (i think that's what we learnt at school)

Yes, you've made that abundantly clear. You sound very confidant in your decision and there's obviously nothing you have to learn from someone's religion so, why bother with all this trouble of picking apart and critiquing that which you've already rejected? Enjoy life, I promise you that I spend very little of my time considering what Atheists believe and why.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 02:15:56 pm »
Well, I've met some pretty awesome Catholics who've only done good for the community by running soup kitchens and other charity drives in Cape Town. I'm not prepared to paint an entire religion and it's followers with a single brush.
i'm not having a go at the followers but the institution

That's for each of us to decide.
yeah exactly. that was kind of my point too

Yes, you've made that abundantly clear. You sound very confidant in your decision and there's obviously nothing you have to learn from someone's religion so, why bother with all this trouble of picking apart and critiquing that which you've already rejected? Enjoy life, I promise you that I spend very little of my time considering what Atheists believe and why.
well we are just having a discussion about cult v religion. again, i'm not having a go, just trying to have a discussion about the differences. still haven't heard anything convincing apart from size

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 02:42:50 pm »
I believe in Smurfs.

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 02:54:26 pm »
i'm not having a go at the followers but the institution

yeah exactly. that was kind of my point too
well we are just having a discussion about cult v religion. again, i'm not having a go, just trying to have a discussion about the differences. still haven't heard anything convincing apart from size

I enjoy these discussions.

Problem is, I can only really give strong evidence and proof from my own faith and whenever I start bringing that up, the mods tend to close the thread and I'm left being the guy who wasted 10min typing a reply that just got deleted. So, I guess I'm trying to make an argument as gingerly as possible, by bringing up less explicit examples, avoiding certain words, and suggesting to you what my argument is rather than flat out saying it.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 02:59:06 pm »
i'm gonna start my own religion called Waygook Mods Are Noobs and if i get banned put it down to hate speech