Read 5862 times

Re: Looks like we'll be wearing masks for a while...
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2020, 10:41:42 am »
I think we can justifiably add coffee nutters at this point. I feel like taking off your mask to drink coffee for three hours at the cafe is the covid version of “I have my blinkers on so my car isn’t actually parked here.”

“Cafes feared to become virus hotbeds”

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=294876

I wonder how they determined that the infections were due to droplet transmission rather than airborne.

Anyway, seems like too many people are exploiting the meals exception to the mask wearing rule and assuming that the corona virus is going to take a hydration time-out at the same time we decide to.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2020, 11:17:56 am »
yeah i've been quite surprised just how busy cafes have been recently. seems one of those things that can easily be avoided. just get take away coffee?

« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2020, 11:42:06 am »
I'm not confusing them.  They are intertwined.  In this case, one happens because of another.  I'm not going to get into a semantics argument.  Discrimination, racism, inequality, oranges, nectarines, tangerines....wait, nectarines are totally different you might be on to something.

If you break your leg because you fell out of a tree then cutting the tree down so you can't climb it isn't going to fix your leg.
Likewise, inequality is the result of racism from the past. You can't change inequality by looking for racism in everyone and everything.

In South Africa, the race card has been played for decades (on all sides). Has it made things better? How about the US? Tell me:

1 - What are these racist things keeping people back?
2 - How do we fix the problem?

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2020, 09:18:23 pm »
I recommendBusiness Secrets of the Pharaohs by Mark Corrigan. Amazing how similar yet completely different the pharaohs dealt with similar situations we find ourselves in today

Um, the Taibbi book with Huey Carmichael (or Anonyomous) is an excellent primary source since people were talking about systematic racism, which was directly mentioned before I posted my post. The book goes into great detail about the source got away by using four cars at a time, including a car with a stereotypically looking bad (usually black) guy in a sketchy car in the front and often using white guys in the chain to throw off the cops, among other methods. I am not advocating the behavior of the source.  I already read the author's books and articles because he is a good journalist and he has written about the source more generally elsewhere.  But he ultimately proved successful until someone snitched on him.  He analyzes policing methods for bias and then tries to get around them successfully for the most part.  At one point, he had a plan to appear with the author, Matt Taibbi, in a Barack Obama mask to talk on The Joe Rogan show, but he didn't go through with it.  You can read it with skepticism, but there's a lot of interesting material in there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:20:42 pm by hippo »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2020, 10:56:59 pm »
Oglop, well done. Really. My hat goes off to you. Hahahaha

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2020, 07:52:37 pm »
It is best to stay home this year for Chuseok, health officials said on Sunday, warning that the yearly mass migration of people around the country for family events during the national holiday could spark new COVID-19 outbreaks.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200906000037

Ahead of the national holiday slated for Sept. 30-Oct. 4, the Health Ministry said it would limit sales of tickets for the KTX trains.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 07:55:33 pm by L I »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2020, 09:18:30 pm »
It is best to stay home this year for Chuseok, health officials said on Sunday, warning that the yearly mass migration of people around the country for family events during the national holiday could spark new COVID-19 outbreaks.

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200906000037

Ahead of the national holiday slated for Sept. 30-Oct. 4, the Health Ministry said it would limit sales of tickets for the KTX trains.

This could be the end of the crazy holiday travel obligations  which everybody hates!

Hurray!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2020, 05:53:45 am »
Don't most folks pack up the car and cram the expressways leaving Seoul?  At least that use to be the way it was.  But I spent my first Seolnal New Year's holiday period in Seoul ever, earlier this year.  I use to hear Seoul became a ghost town during then and Chuseok and it really was pretty normal and most things were still open except for the one day.  Of course it was after this that some folks came back from travel abroad and we first heard of Covid 19 which China had covered up for months prior.  Anyways, do these holidays get busy anymore anyways?  Of course Chuseok changes every year which is dumb.  They should just take the second week of October when the weather is nice here and call that Chuseok and shut it all down for a week.  Then everyone can just take their time travelling around Korea to where ever and enjoy the weather and the clear skies.  September still has crappy weather most years anyways.  Still humid and rainy sometimes. 

So, anyways, everyone stay up in Seoul and leave the countryside wide open for me, if the weather will be nice this year by that time.  (Hard to say.  Last 3 or 4 autumns were a real disappointment.  But autumn use to be really nice here.  Temp low to mid 20's and dry with no humidity traditionally.  Paradise weather.) 

« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2020, 06:33:21 am »
This could be the end of the crazy holiday travel obligations  which everybody hates!

Hurray!

Everybody, quick! To Jeju!!!

« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2020, 07:54:18 am »

Hurray!

Children and young couples would welcome this, old people would riot; The government isn't going to risk pissing them off.
They'll 'advise', 'recommend' and 'suggest', but ultimately, people are going to do what they do.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2020, 08:43:14 am »
yes but young people hate it already. i can see many young families using corona at an excuse not to do the BS chuseok thing. in fact, in recent years, it seems like it has already become less of a thing than it used to be (from what i remember reading)

« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2020, 09:06:24 am »
yes but young people hate it already. i can see many young families using corona at an excuse not to do the BS chuseok thing. in fact, in recent years, it seems like it has already become less of a thing than it used to be (from what i remember reading)

I've no doubt everyone except the most traditional blowhards hate it. I mean, seriously... when someone gifts you a pre-packaged, overpriced gift set they picked up at the supermarket the nuance isn't exactly subtle, they're basically saying "Take this crap and be done with it, I hate you and my life."

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2020, 09:29:15 am »
I've no doubt everyone except the most traditional blowhards hate it. I mean, seriously... when someone gifts you a pre-packaged, overpriced gift set they picked up at the supermarket the nuance isn't exactly subtle, they're basically saying "Take this crap and be done with it, I hate you and my life."
Only about 10% of Seoul, and surrounding areas, resident's roots go more than 2 generations in Seoul. People during Chuseok/Seollal go to their parent's, or grandparent's, hometowns. So once they die off, and parents all live in the same town like in Seoul that's when the traffic madness will die. I give it maybe 30 years.

« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2020, 12:55:54 pm »
Only about 10% of Seoul, and surrounding areas, resident's roots go more than 2 generations in Seoul. People during Chuseok/Seollal go to their parent's, or grandparent's, hometowns. So once they die off, and parents all live in the same town like in Seoul that's when the traffic madness will die. I give it maybe 30 years.

Waiting for your 'problems' to die or retire seems like the way things are done around here.