Read 5871 times

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Looks like we'll be wearing masks for a while...
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:16:26 pm »
Korea is a safe place to hunker down and weather the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
The Korean government has basically taught most other countries how
to successfully bring this kind of catastrophe under control. (However
some nations seem to be extremely slow learners.)

But it seems like Korea is dropping the ball on the vaccine issue.  A lot
of other countries are almost ready to start administering a permanent
fix.  Korea, on the other hand, has said a vaccine must be 100% safe.
Which could take years.

Don't throw out your masks yet.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200812000758
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:47:56 pm by SPQR »

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
Re: Looks like we'll be wearing masks for a while...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 01:40:10 pm »
I would personally prefer a vaccine that is safe rather than jumping into something that has potential issues. However, it does beg the question about how travel in and out of the country would work. It think it will definitely cause some airlines to go out of business because of a lack of tourism. There is a lot of questions to be asked.If you have received a vaccine abroad, will you be allowed in the country without a mandatory quarantine? Will Korea citizens and foreigners who live here be upset because they will be potentially unable to travel safety?How many people from other countries will get the vaccine?

That's just the tip of the iceberg of questions. One thing is for certain, many changes are afoot.
One good thing though, the masks definitely saved me from my students getting me sick.  :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:42:22 pm by buckybee »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 02:38:07 pm »
seems there are new church clusters all of the time. i'm not sure why churches are still allowed to open, or why there isn't more regulation in place. kids aren't allowed to come to school every day but church-goers are allowed to gather in huge groups multiple times a week?

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 03:05:29 pm »
I’d still prefer masking in Korea to vaccinating in Russia at this point. It is remarkable that there’s actually a good chance an effective vaccine might be ready by early next year.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 04:59:22 pm »
seems there are new church clusters all of the time. i'm not sure why churches are still allowed to open, or why there isn't more regulation in place. kids aren't allowed to come to school every day but church-goers are allowed to gather in huge groups multiple times a week?
That whole pesky Freedom of Religion thing.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 05:10:28 pm »
good ol' religion above health, safety and logic

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 05:19:40 pm »
It's easier to enforce the laws when it comes to schools, they're a gathering point for a large number of individuals and they're a government institution, making it pretty difficult to go against quarantine procedure.

Certain church groups, like the ones in Korea, tend to disobey quarantine by gathering under more clandestine circumstances, while the main churches, mosques synagogues etc. close their doors. I can't speak for what's going on the US, I really don't know. What I do know is that back in SA, most mosques, synagogues and churches are closed. The few that are open are only allowing a finite number of people to enter, while practicing strict social distancing.

In other news, South Africa's first Satanic church was officially recognized and will open next month.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 05:21:51 pm by Aristocrat »

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 08:15:11 am »
In other news, South Africa's first Satanic church was officially recognized and will open next month.

I somehow expect they’ll be smarter about social distancing and masking than your typical church. They won’t be relying on God’s grace to protect them.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 08:49:04 am »
It's easier to enforce the laws when it comes to schools, they're a gathering point for a large number of individuals and they're a government institution, making it pretty difficult to go against quarantine procedure.

Certain church groups, like the ones in Korea, tend to disobey quarantine by gathering under more clandestine circumstances, while the main churches, mosques synagogues etc. close their doors. I can't speak for what's going on the US, I really don't know. What I do know is that back in SA, most mosques, synagogues and churches are closed. The few that are open are only allowing a finite number of people to enter, while practicing strict social distancing.

well if they did close down the churches, there would be nowhere for them to gather in huge groups, anyway. i'm sure a few would find somewhere to gather, but i doubt it would cause huge outbreaks (like what we've been seeing recently)

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 11:34:33 am »
I somehow expect they’ll be smarter about social distancing and masking than your typical church. They won’t be relying on God’s grace to protect them.

Well, I just learned that they do believe in astrology so... I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 07:11:13 pm »

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 09:29:15 am »
Religion, fortune telling, astrology, mythology can all be grouped
together in my opinion.  They are not based on fact or rational
thought.  These things were fine in the middle ages, dark ages
and further back because 99% of the population had no education
or access to information.

However, in today's information rich environment the fact that these
primitive beliefs still exist is frightening.  What is more worrisome
is that these strange beliefs still exist in advanced countries.

I do believe in peoples freedom to follow these strange cults if
they so desire, but the government should be vigilant and stop these
misguided people from hurting themselves and society as a whole.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 09:39:38 am »
Sam Harris said it best, and I am paraphrasing.

"Imagine how good a book would be if it were written by the creator of the universe. But look at what we have. There's no passages about germ theory, or DNA. There's no talk of a heliocentric solar system. Instead we have pages and pages of how to slaughter animals, who to kill and why. There's nothing, absolutely nothing in this book that couldn't have been written by an uneducated bronze age peasant."
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 10:17:47 am »
Religion, fortune telling, astrology, mythology can all be grouped
together in my opinion.  They are not based on fact or rational
thought.  These things were fine in the middle ages, dark ages
and further back because 99% of the population had no education
or access to information.

However, in today's information rich environment the fact that these
primitive beliefs still exist is frightening.  What is more worrisome
is that these strange beliefs still exist in advanced countries.

You're contradicting yourself:

You claim to advocate freedom of choice yet propose Fascism by forcing people to follow your way of thinking... If you disagree, please tell me how a person minding their own business somehow harmed you. Dude, if I can be interested and not feel threatened by the fact that freaking Satanists have established their first church in my home city yet you somehow feel threatened by something so mundane and ubiquitous, then you're the problem. Everyone else manages fine by either showing interest or not giving a sh*t.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 10:32:46 am »
Sam Harris said it best, and I am paraphrasing.

"Imagine how good a book would be if it were written by the creator of the universe. But look at what we have. There's no passages about germ theory, or DNA. There's no talk of a heliocentric solar system. Instead we have pages and pages of how to slaughter animals, who to kill and why. There's nothing, absolutely nothing in this book that couldn't have been written by an uneducated bronze age peasant."

Just shows you how ignorant you and he are about the Bible.

It is also amazing that people who deny the existence of God, still turn to praying when the chips are really down. Because you don't believe in God, doesn't make it true.

By the way, I am a Christian but I DON'T believe in religion. Religion is a lot of man made rules, mostly to suit themselves and in fact Jesus himself was totally against the religious leaders in his time. Following religion is not the same as having faith in God.

Anyway, I think it is against this forum's rules to have religious discussions but I wanted to state clearly that there is a lot of misinformation going around in today's world about God and religion.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 10:33:29 am »

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 10:35:57 am »

Anyway, I think it is against this forum's rules to have religious discussions but I wanted to state clearly that there is a lot of misinformation going around in today's world about God and religion.

Yes, talking about religion is bad.  But churches spreading SARS-CoV-2 is an unfortunate fact that needs addressing.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 10:38:37 am »
Yes, talking about religion is bad.  But churches spreading SARS-CoV-2 is an unfortunate fact that needs addressing.

I agree, about the addressing thing, but you can't blame God for their stupidity. There are plenty of churches around the world that are observing safety protocols.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• Canada
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 10:46:25 am »
I agree, about the addressing thing, but you can't blame God for their stupidity. There are plenty of churches around the world that are observing safety protocols.

This is great news.  But I don't live in "around the world".  I live in Korea and these churches need prompt and firm attention.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 10:54:44 am »
Confusedsaffer, I'm confused. So..... Do you follow the bible? Is the bible important to you or is it a religious text, and, being from religion, you cast it aside?

Also, you say I'm ignorant of the bible, Sam Harris, too.

Play the game. What is one thing in the bible that predicted a discovery later in history? One where mankind rubbed their head and said, "wow, the scripture was right!"
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?