Read 782 times

Have you been sexually harassed at school?
« on: August 10, 2020, 06:23:58 pm »
Anyone is welcome to start a poll for male NETs who might've faced sexual harassment, I'd like this one to focus on the experiences of female NETs. Please, don't make a big deal about 'double standards' or something and derail the thread, respect the issues female NETs are facing by not making this about you. It's simply easier to focus on one thing at a time, in this case, the problems female NETs face, which in my experience, far outweighs the problems most male NETs face in this regard. 

I'm not going to divulge too much (PM for more details), but for a while, there were rumors of ANOTHER female NET in my city being sexually harassed at school. In this case, the NET raised her concerns to her CT, principal, MOE and POE. All gave her the same f*cking response of basically "You're overreacting, just deal with it". Nobody supported her, offered her a solution or some kind of compromise, the type of response and leadership skills you could expect from a manager at a Mcdonalds. No, she was simply told "Go back to work." from her CT all the way up to the POE, like a bunch of spineless zealots.

This is why I roll my eyes every single time the MOE arranges workshops and every supervisor gives the same speech of how he/she is there to help us.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: Have you been sexually harassed at school?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:05:35 pm »
If all the routes up are blocked, go sideways. I'm sure if she's being harrassed other Korean female teachers surely will have noticed. Is she close to any of them? A possible avenue to address the issue...

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 05:57:21 am »
That sucks.  Transfer schools in the second semester.  Korea is still working out this issue as we all know. 

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 07:23:47 am »
I feel like the poll options are missing something.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 07:44:14 am »
I've also heard stories from another female NET about it, but I don't really know how it was dealt with

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 10:02:00 am »
Korea is still working out this issue as we all know.

Pretty slow at doing this.

When I arrived in Korea in 2008, foreign teachers and Korean teachers were suffering from this. I recall at all our teacher's dinners, the principal or senior men staff would come around to the tables and demand we drink a toast (they were hammered by this time) and I saw plenty of harassment of the Korean lady teachers, especially if they were young and single. Inappropriate hugs, kisses, hands on places they should never touch etc, etc. When I asked why they don't do something they told me they dare not as that would be the end of their career advancement opportunities.

At district English camps where I met a good number of foreign lady teachers who said they suffered the same as I described above but it was much worse for the Korean teachers.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• WoodsA15
  • Waygookin

• January 14, 2018, 01:22:15 pm
    • Pocheon, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 02:41:33 pm »
This same situation happened to the NET that I replaced. The person that did it is still here and in a high position, and she had no other option but to go back home. She tried everything to get help, and they wouldn't let her transfer schools. They waited so long to tell her she wouldn't be able to transfer that she couldn't reapply through EPIK... and she felt her best option was to return home.
Anyone is welcome to start a poll for male NETs who might've faced sexual harassment, I'd like this one to focus on the experiences of female NETs. Please, don't make a big deal about 'double standards' or something and derail the thread, respect the issues female NETs are facing by not making this about you. It's simply easier to focus on one thing at a time, in this case, the problems female NETs face, which in my experience, far outweighs the problems most male NETs face in this regard. 

I'm not going to divulge too much (PM for more details), but for a while, there were rumors of ANOTHER female NET in my city being sexually harassed at school. In this case, the NET raised her concerns to her CT, principal, MOE and POE. All gave her the same f*cking response of basically "You're overreacting, just deal with it". Nobody supported her, offered her a solution or some kind of compromise, the type of response and leadership skills you could expect from a manager at a Mcdonalds. No, she was simply told "Go back to work." from her CT all the way up to the POE, like a bunch of spineless zealots.

This is why I roll my eyes every single time the MOE arranges workshops and every supervisor gives the same speech of how he/she is there to help us.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 02:44:32 pm »
This same situation happened to the NET that I replaced. The person that did it is still here and in a high position, and she had no other option but to go back home. She tried everything to get help, and they wouldn't let her transfer schools. They waited so long to tell her she wouldn't be able to transfer that she couldn't reapply through EPIK... and she felt her best option was to return home.

unfortunately a lot of NETs end up with no option because things take sweet time here......regardles s of whether it was harassment related, regular renewal, transfer, etc.......

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 07:37:18 pm »

Yeah, the NET who was affected had to return home as it got progressively worse at the school and the staff, particularly the principal, were becoming openly hostile against her for 'taking things too seriously' and embarrassing the school... it just blows my mind how so many leadership positions in Korea are filled with people who demand enormous respect yet demonstrate complete incompetence. A skilled leader is able to mediate or compromise or solution in any situation, rarely, have I seen that here.

Nobody allowed her to transfer or offered any kind of support, from the bottom to the top it was basically, "Go back to class and STFU."

When it comes to MS and HS, I really think male NETs should teach at boy's schools and female NETs at girl's schools, it just makes things simpler.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 07:52:28 pm »
Another option is going directly to the police. But you'll probably need a Korean speaker, and also perhaps go to a police station far away for the school. And keep on plugging away until somebody actually does something. There was an incident on some island in Jeolla province a few years back where a woman teacher was raped by some student fathers. The teacher initially tried to report it to the school, and local police station, but eventually had to go a few towns out before anyone took any action.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 01:34:04 am »
Another option is going directly to the police. But you'll probably need a Korean speaker, and also perhaps go to a police station far away for the school. And keep on plugging away until somebody actually does something. There was an incident on some island in Jeolla province a few years back where a woman teacher was raped by some student fathers. The teacher initially tried to report it to the school, and local police station, but eventually had to go a few towns out before anyone took any action.

Korea, sparkling...