Read 8085 times

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Newsflash: Rock music is the center of the music universe.
« on: August 08, 2020, 01:51:43 pm »
 I had an end of course quiz with a class of 18-19 year olds yesterday including a pop quiz in which I tried to be up to date. I Played Dua Lipi, Ariane Grande, Ed Sheeran etc. plus a few oldies. Guess which song they all asked to hear the full version of and wanted a sing a long to at the end? Yep, Bohemian Rhapsody,  which was released before some of their parents were born. Some of the boys were even playing air guitar. :smiley: (the mood soured a bit when I told them it was about coming out as gay.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:08:54 pm by stoat »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:21:23 pm by VanIslander »

Re: Newsflash: Rock music is the center of the music universe.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 04:58:48 pm »
In my second year here, long before the movie came out, I had a fifth grader who was super into Freddy Mercury. Of course his dad was a huge fan too. The boy said his dad was a philosophy professor; not sure what effect that might have had on his musical preferences.

Also several years back I had some kids who were bummed because they had tickets to see Paul McCartney, but he cancelled because he caught the flu. Iím sure thereís some parental (if not grand-parental) influence there as well. Like, really? Mom-pants-wearing Paul McCartney is your idol?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 08:02:20 pm »
There is absolutely could some parental influence there!

My brother-in-law definitely has had a great influence on his 12-year-old son's (my nephew) taste in music... to the point where he heavily subsidies his 70s/80s vinyl collection.

My own son, only 3 months older, has very little influence because his mother and I tend not to listen to music when there are other people around.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 09:50:59 pm »
No doubt. Though as elementary schoolers they had plenty of time to developed their own tastes later in life, perhaps influenced by that of their parents. Oneís true artistic preferences often arenít developed until the teenage years, and very often thatís also when theyíre cemented.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:05:28 pm »
I had an end of course quiz with a class of 18-19 year olds yesterday including a pop quiz in which I tried to be up to date. I Played Dua Lipi, Ariane Grande
Gee, I can't imagine why the class full of boys didn't want to sing those selections...

As Aristocrat said, I love rock, but the pathetic yammering on and on about classic rock and screaming how much better it is than what kids listen to now by increasingly overweight and balding men has just reached the point of being said.

Newsflash: There are people on this planet other than rock fans. A lot more people. And their numbers have spoken. Rock music is not the center of the universe. Just effing accept it and move on and age gracefully.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 10:11:29 pm »
Also Bohemian Rhapsody was "trending" last year because of the movie that was released last year and the song was playing on MELON..... (not to say that that isn't a bomb song) 
Koreans follow trends...that doesn't mean they are suddenly attuned to you playing ROCK N ROLL for them for the first time and have a sudden awakening!

Play Stairway to Heaven....they will fall asleep (unless it is trending in a movie)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:13:38 pm by dippedinblush »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:03 pm »
Gee, I can't imagine why the class full of boys didn't want to sing those selections...

As Aristocrat said, I love rock, but the pathetic yammering on and on about classic rock and screaming how much better it is than what kids listen to now by increasingly overweight and balding men has just reached the point of being said.

Newsflash: There are people on this planet other than rock fans. A lot more people. And their numbers have spoken. Rock music is not the center of the universe. Just effing accept it and move on and age gracefully.
it's almost like this thread was designed to provoke someone specific. hmm

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 10:23:30 pm »

With Rock music, fans stay with the bands for a long time. Rock bands have a longevity than no other genre of music has - Maybe, Musicals? This longevity always brings a new generation of fans.

Will BTS be touring in 20 years time? I think not!

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 10:33:03 pm »
New Kids on the Block and Spice Girls are touring.....

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 01:27:07 am »
Long live rock! I need it every night
Long live rock! Come on and join the line
Long live rock! Be it dead or alive

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 02:27:09 am »

Actually that class is mostly girls, epic reading comprehension fail

Koreans follow trends...   

As opposed to kids in the West who only listen to obscure stuff that's rarely played on radio or tv?

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 03:45:12 am »
Actually that class is mostly girls, epic reading comprehension fail

I had an end of course quiz with a class of 18-19 year olds yesterday including a pop quiz in which I tried to be up to date. I Played Dua Lipi, Ariane Grande, Ed Sheeran etc. plus a few oldies. Guess which song they all asked to hear the full version of and wanted a sing a long to at the end? Yep, Bohemian Rhapsody,  which was released before some of their parents were born. Some of the boys were even playing air guitar. :smiley: (the mood soured a bit when I told them it was about coming out as gay.)

Where does it in any way, shape or form suggest that the class is mostly girls?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 07:12:38 am »

Remember when you 'assume', you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'!

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 08:15:26 am »
I always found that if I played rock music to my Korean students, even Korean rock music, the kids would cover their ears and scream. Yet they'd listen to obnoxious noisy kpop all day without any complaint.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 10:23:41 am »
Remember when you 'assume', you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'!
stoat's done ya there martino

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 01:10:54 pm »
With Rock music, fans stay with the bands for a long time. Rock bands have a longevity than no other genre of music has - Maybe, Musicals? This longevity always brings a new generation of fans.

Baroque?

The real question is, if you have music that you're passionate about and enjoy, why should you give a sh*t what BTS will be doing in 20yrs.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 01:51:25 pm »
The real question is, if you have music that you're passionate about and enjoy, why should you give a sh*t what BTS will be doing in 20yrs.

Because you're interested in culture in general? What stands the test of time and what doesn't and why?

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 03:02:13 pm »

Given that Shinhwa and others toured 20 years later, probably.

Also, jazz, Gospel, blues, Soul, Funk, Motown, Hip-Hop, and Rap all have stayed relevant.

NWA, Public Enemy, Jay-Z, 2Pac, Biggie, Snoop, Eminem, etc. have continued to have massive followings and influence, more influence than has-been rockers.

Rock fanatics seem to be the same bunch of insecure spoiled brats that gave us Disco Demolition Night. People pissed off that other people dare enjoy music other than their precious rock, particularly music featuring people of color.

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 03:10:30 pm »
I always found that if I played rock music to my Korean students, even Korean rock music, the kids would cover their ears and scream. Yet they'd listen to obnoxious noisy kpop all day without any complaint.
Not everyone loves rock. To A LOT of people it just sounds like screeching noise. Kpop can be catchy and has a dance-y beat. It's all subjective. Stop being butthurt that people like different stuff.

"A-yo...shut the f*ck up!"

https://youtu.be/mgIlTyCiVYQ