Read 2842 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Sam Okyere
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2020, 12:34:49 pm »
You might have chosen a better example given how much Michael Jackson himself had his own skin color changed over the years! :laugh:

Is it not peculiar though that blackface is a thing, while whiteface is not (to any significant degree)? What is it about changing one’s skin tone to darker that people seem to find so entertaining? There you might find the answer to why people find it offensive. And the fact is that even if the boys didn’t know about the racist origins of blackface — and possibly even the actual pallbearers (“There are no black people in Africa.”) — given that its origins are racist, maybe letting them know a lot of people think that’s “not cool” isn’t such a bad thing. Justin Trudeau didn’t think anything of it when he put on black face — so let it slide? (Apparently, yes!)

So Jackie Chan walks into a bar...

Well, in Trudeau's case and also a Virginian governor, if leftist wear blackface it's okay.  If Trudeau gropes female reporters 20 years ago or if Clinton does the same and worse 20 years ago, their sexism is okay because they're fellow leftists.  They get a hypocritical pass.  I would hardly be using them as an example and people to look up to. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2020, 12:38:04 pm »
As for the rest of it, if he was caught doing slanty eyes, then he definitely has less of a leg to stand on and leaves himself a bit vulnerable.  As for the rest of it, he should have stood his ground and doubled down.  The twitter mob or Korean equivalent can be un nerving the first time it happens.  Then you realize many are keyboard tough guys.  Either way, don't apologize and don't back down.  Take a page out of Trump or Maher's book.  This was probably his first backlash.  Not many people can take the hate, be able to push back, and keep going stronger than before. 

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2020, 01:13:08 pm »
As for the rest of it, he should have stood his ground and doubled down.

As much as I agree with you, I can 100% see why he didn't.

If you look at any foreigner that has become famous here and is making their money as a foreign celebrity in Korea they have one main thing in common.

They act cute and funny and tell Koreans how great they are / their country is.

Take a look at that Dave or the Korean Englishman or whatever they are on youtube, watch the show where foreign celebs bring over their mates to show off Korea, same with Sam.  Their career, their future earnings are all dependent on towing the propaganda line and not rocking the boat.  Whilst a Korean may well be able to make / keep a career after challenging things, foreigners (just like the E2s and the rest of it being a clown in a school) are here to supplement the Korean ego.

Sam was faced with a dilemma, stick to his morals and kill his career, or do a 180 in chance of future earnings.  Maybe not the honorable decision, but just as Ramsay can sell Cass, money clouds our judgement.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2020, 01:23:10 pm »
As much as I agree with you, I can 100% see why he didn't.

If you look at any foreigner that has become famous here and is making their money as a foreign celebrity in Korea they have one main thing in common.

They act cute and funny and tell Koreans how great they are / their country is.

Take a look at that Dave or the Korean Englishman or whatever they are on youtube, watch the show where foreign celebs bring over their mates to show off Korea, same with Sam.  Their career, their future earnings are all dependent on towing the propaganda line and not rocking the boat.  Whilst a Korean may well be able to make / keep a career after challenging things, foreigners (just like the E2s and the rest of it being a clown in a school) are here to supplement the Korean ego.

Sam was faced with a dilemma, stick to his morals and kill his career, or do a 180 in chance of future earnings.  Maybe not the honorable decision, but just as Ramsay can sell Cass, money clouds our judgement.
maybe, but now he's basically admitted he was wrong. he could have still stood his ground while being respectful

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2020, 01:33:50 pm »
maybe, but now he's basically admitted he was wrong. he could have still stood his ground while being respectful

I would love to think he could have respectfully spoken out about it, and for it to be well received and have no determent to his career.  I don't know enough about Korean popular culture to know of any incidents when foreign celebrities have spoken up about issues respectfully to see how they have been received.