Koreans’ Responses:

• Jpdoescoffee
  • Waygookin

• November 15, 2019, 01:48:29 pm
    • Pohang
    more
Re: Sam Okyere
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 05:59:59 pm »
Basically, tens of thousands (literally) of koreans shutting Okyere down for calling out blackface

• Jpdoescoffee
  • Waygookin

• Pohang
    more
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:01:03 pm »
And Okyere ends up deleting the original post and apologizing to Koreans.
Lol. Korea. What a sh*thole place this is.
With so many Koreans telling displeased foreigners to go back to their home countries, maybe we should all just leave. See what happens to the economy.
Heck, i grew up hearing “go back to your own country” as a Korean-American in the States. So disgusting to see Koreans saying the same thing here
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:03:51 pm by Jpdoescoffee »

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 06:22:27 pm »
The only time I ever saw blackface in person was in Korea, just a few years ago... at a Christmas church service. They were having something of a talent show and one group of older (40s/50s) men and women sang a song from “Sister’s Act” with the scene playing on the screen in the background as they sang, or maybe they were just lip syncing. The kicker was when the woman singing as Whoopi Goldberg’s character appeared in full blackface with a nappy wig. A real gas.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:24:01 pm by Don Hobak »

• Jpdoescoffee
  • Waygookin

• Pohang
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 06:26:32 pm »
Blackface is of course an issue, and i understand that due to the historical and cultural differences, Koreans can be confused why it’s wrong.

But my bigger concern is that instead of being open for conversation, especially from a party who feels wronged, so many Koreans took to arms. Like some kind of mob mentality in an effort to defend Korea’s honor or some sh*t.

The nationalism and xenophobia and general homogeneity here is so toxic...

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 06:33:59 pm »
Korea loves him for speaking Korean, until he stops talking lovingly about Korea and points out something objectionable.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 07:13:34 pm »
Yeah, on the one hand if Koreans as a whole don't see a problem with black face, what gives someone from another country the right to come in and dictate what they should find acceptable or not? On the other hand, Koreans tend to be hyper sensitive about racist slurs in Western countries, so there's a lot of hypocrisy about.   I asked my wife if she'd mind comedy sketches on TV in the West depicting Asians with yellow faces, slitty eyes and goofy teeth and she said it wouldn't bother her.  On the other hand she probably wouldn't find black face offensive either.  On the third hand there's no way she'd ever tell a foreigner to 'go back home' so it's likely the Koreans complaining about Okyere complaining about Korean racism are the same ones complaining about anti Korean racism.   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:38:53 pm by stoat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 09:38:36 pm »
Yeah, on the one hand if Koreans as a whole don't see a problem with black face, what gives someone from another country the right to come in and dictate what they should find acceptable or not? On the other hand, Koreans tend to be hyper sensitive about racist slurs in Western countries, so there's a lot of hypocrisy about.   I asked my wife if she'd mind comedy sketches on TV in the West depicting Asians with yellow faces, slitty eyes and goofy teeth and she said it wouldn't bother her.  On the other hand she probably wouldn't find black face offensive either.  On the third hand there's no way she'd ever tell a foreigner to 'go back home' so it's likely the Koreans complaining about Okyere complaining about Korean racism are the same ones complaining about anti Korean racism.   
I asked my wife if she gets annoyed by Caucasian people dressing up like Asians and using stereotypical things like you mentioned and she wasn't bothered either. She also didn't get the problem with the kids wearing make up of their faces in the first post

Is it mostly Americans who get offended by blackface? I don't remember it being much of an issue or something people complained about in the UK

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 10:05:58 pm »
Difficult to say exactly when it became a major problem in the UK. The Black and White Minstrel show (70s to 80s) was  deemed problematic in the 90s because it seemed to characterise all black people, whereas Little Britain, which had actors using blackface to depict specific characters, was Ok until around 2010.  Then by 2017, they'd moved onto emojis. All this happened earlier in the US of course.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:24:21 pm by stoat »

• T_Rex
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 05:38:43 am »
Oh, Sam Okyere....

I remember he shared his experience with racism in Korea on TV a few years ago. And then some English teachers commented on those experiences in a YouTube video. And then a Korea Times journalist got offended by their whitesplaining.

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=226950#

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 06:30:24 am »
The usual claptrap. White people are uniquely bad and can't experience racism, the past = the present, the West = America, black people perfectly understand white people's experience but white  people will never understand black people's, but they can't talk about it until they do etc.  And what's redlining and the living standards of African Americans got to do with Sam Okyere? As an African immigrant in the US he'd be outperforming the average white person in the present day.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 08:34:58 am by stoat »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 09:50:04 am »
Difficult to say exactly when it became a major problem in the UK. The Black and White Minstrel show (70s to 80s) was  deemed problematic in the 90s because it seemed to characterise all black people, whereas Little Britain, which had actors using blackface to depict specific characters, was Ok until around 2010.  Then by 2017, they'd moved onto emojis. All this happened earlier in the US of course.
the kids with the coffin photo was shared on a popular facebook meme group and i noticed that most people jumped in with "blackface is always wrong - no exceptions". there were some people that tried to be more sympathetic/nuisanced by saying there aren't trying to be disrespectful or aren't exaggerating black people's features/they shouldn't be expected to know about the history of america/they are just cosplaying certain meme people/etc - but most of them were immediately banned

seemed to follow what you see in media these days regarding this kind of thing

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 10:04:26 am »
the kids with the coffin photo was shared on a popular facebook meme group and i noticed that most people jumped in with "blackface is always wrong - no exceptions". there were some people that tried to be more sympathetic/nuisanced by saying there aren't trying to be disrespectful or aren't exaggerating black people's features/they shouldn't be expected to know about the history of america/they are just cosplaying certain meme people/etc - but most of them were immediately banned

seemed to follow what you see in media these days regarding this kind of thing

I mentioned this last night in a group.

These kids don't know who Al Jolson is. They don't know what a minstrel show is. They didn't learn about the Civil War, or Lincoln or the Emancipation Proclamation.

They don't learn about slavery or the Civil Rights Act.

So when KIDS do this, it's really important to explain to them why it is insensitive to  a different culture. These are ASIAN children cosplaying an AFRICAN meme. It's not racism.

People are allowed to be as offended as they like, but this particular instance isn't RACISM. It can be called ignorant or insensitive, sure, but they don't hate black people/Africans/what have you.

Add to that the ACTUAL PALLBEARERS shared the meme and said great job. But no, let's listen to all the 23 year old, white American women about how terrible this injustice is, hahaha.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2020, 10:18:51 am »
What are your feelings on blackface?

a) as usual you think attacking someone with dumbass 2nd grader personal insults is the way to deal with something that makes your side look bad

b) what are your feelings on blackface?

Some of it used to be racist sure, mocking black people as a group, and some of it is/was just actors/people dressing up as other people. A lot of the outrage is probably from people being told they should be outraged. If public opinion seems to be mainly against it because it triggers black people, fine make it socially unacceptable, though it is proving to be a slippery slope these days with actors not being allowed to depict anyone that doesn't share their group of immutable characteristics
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:13:42 am by stoat »

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2020, 11:36:47 am »
Safe to assume Sam spent most of his life in two places: Ghana and Korea, so he’s probably not steeped in America’s racial history either. We should probably also give him the benefit of the doubt and say he’s probably not a 23 year old white American woman (if only for the fact that he was made famous by 비정상 회담, not 미녀들의 수다). I’m not sure what he said, but I’m guessing he was just drawing attention to the fact that many people find this kind of blackface imagery offensive. I doubt he called them white supremacists. Then came the “You can’t say that!” backlash.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 12:07:04 pm »
Oh, yeah, Sam was measured and cool in his response.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2020, 01:33:47 pm »
I mentioned this last night in a group.

These kids don't know who Al Jolson is. They don't know what a minstrel show is. They didn't learn about the Civil War, or Lincoln or the Emancipation Proclamation.

They don't learn about slavery or the Civil Rights Act.

So when KIDS do this, it's really important to explain to them why it is insensitive to  a different culture. These are ASIAN children cosplaying an AFRICAN meme. It's not racism.

People are allowed to be as offended as they like, but this particular instance isn't RACISM. It can be called ignorant or insensitive, sure, but they don't hate black people/Africans/what have you.

Add to that the ACTUAL PALLBEARERS shared the meme and said great job. But no, let's listen to all the 23 year old, white American women about how terrible this injustice is, hahaha.
yeah from what i saw it was mostly americans getting offended by it. there was even one black guy who said he found it funny, only to be told by some white people how he was wrong

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 09:23:16 pm »

Add to that the ACTUAL PALLBEARERS shared the meme and said great job.

/debate