Read 298 times

Today was my last day at this horrible job. Upon leaving my director told me they saw damage on the wallpaper and will have to charge me for the damage. I have taken pictures of all the damage in the apartment prior to moving in. It was impossible to take picture of every dents and marks on the wallpaper so I only took 3 of the most serious damages. Now the school is saying that they must charge me for the entire wallpaper. They won't pay me for the entire month of July and 9 days for August. It is over 2.5 million won after tax and other stuff. What options do I have?

PS: I have F6 visa so I don't need LOR.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Re: Hagwon is trying to take my last month paycheck for wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 10:05:56 am »
Today was my last day at this horrible job. Upon leaving my director told me they saw damage on the wallpaper and will have to charge me for the damage. I have taken pictures of all the damage in the apartment prior to moving in. It was impossible to take picture of every dents and marks on the wallpaper so I only took 3 of the most serious damages. Now the school is saying that they must charge me for the entire wallpaper. They won't pay me for the entire month of July and 9 days for August. It is over 2.5 million won after tax and other stuff. What options do I have?

Wallpapering an entire 32 pyeong apartment costs around 1-1.2 million depending on the type of the wallpaper. So it's clear that they are trying to screw you over and it isn't about the actual wallpaper.
Contact the labour board.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 10:18:05 am »
Haha.

My cats have torn the wallpaper, ripped the curtains, scratched up the patio door frame and clothes closet.

I'll make sure to get my last pay and contract bonus before it could be taken away. How? Hmm.. i think i'll agree to work an extra couple of weeks after the end of my contract, and help find my replacement to start no earlier than then. I might lose that two weeks of pay, or a portion of it. So be it.

The director knew i had two indoor cats when he hired me. The wear and TEAR is typical and expected. I believe the responsibility should be shared.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 10:43:59 am »
Haha.

My cats have torn the wallpaper, ripped the curtains, scratched up the patio door frame and clothes closet.

I'll make sure to get my last pay and contract bonus before it could be taken away. How? Hmm.. i think i'll agree to work an extra couple of weeks after the end of my contract, and help find my replacement to start no earlier than then. I might lose that two weeks of pay, or a portion of it. So be it.

The director knew i had two indoor cats when he hired me. The wear and TEAR is typical and expected. I believe the responsibility should be shared.

Your case is completely different so I am not sure there is any value in your comment to the OP. They didn't damage the wallpaper, the Hagwon is trying to screw them over.

OP good luck and hope you win at the Labour Board.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 11:00:50 am »

if they deduct anything from your paycheck other than taxes, then you have to wait two weeks, and then you can contact the MOEL. file a case with them and they will sort it out. you will win, as it seems pretty cut and dry. it might take a month or more to process though, so be prepared to wait.

also, OP, make sure to record any future conversations you have with your employer. i recommend downloading an app on your phone that automatically records any conversations you have. also, don't sign anything

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 11:14:59 am »
Trash the entire place. Doors, pipes, aircon, TV, floor, ondol.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 11:23:44 am »
Isn’t wallpaper replacement technically required every time there’s a change in tenant anyway? And even if there was damage in excess of the usual wear and tear, wouldn’t that have to come out of the housing deposit, not ones salary? Any way you cut it, definitely a sham excuse to take your money.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 11:56:22 am »
Isn’t wallpaper replacement technically required every time there’s a change in tenant anyway? And even if there was damage in excess of the usual wear and tear, wouldn’t that have to come out of the housing deposit, not ones salary? Any way you cut it, definitely a sham excuse to take your money.
it's the landlord's responsibility to replace the wallpaper (if just wear and tear)

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 01:26:48 pm »
it's the landlord's responsibility to replace the wallpaper (if just wear and tear)

Right, but I thought I remember hearing something about them being required to change it between every tenant, no matter the amount of wear and tear, though I could easily be wrong.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 01:36:33 pm »
Right, but I thought I remember hearing something about them being required to change it between every tenant, no matter the amount of wear and tear, though I could easily be wrong.
i think it's every 2 years? i'm not completely sure. i suppose most housing contracts last two years (for koreans) so that's where "after every tenant" could be from. or maybe i'm wrong, too. either way, OP shouldn't have to pay for wallpaper. especially not 2.5m (i mean, come on hahah)

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 03:12:33 pm »
Even if housing is part of your contract, part of your rent goes towards maintenance such as wear and tear. Even so, wallpaper in Korean apartments is dirt cheap.

2.5mil for damages to wallpaper? They're definitely trying to screw you over. Have fun watching them do a 180 as you threaten to take them to the labor board. They're rolling the dice to see if you'll panic. Call their bluff.