Read 1195 times

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• September 07, 2016, 08:35:35 pm
    • Seoul. South Korea
KIIP online classes
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:40:23 am »
Has anyone taken a KIIP class online? What is it like? Do you have to do the "class" bits at specific times, or do you just get it done when you can (of course, within a deadline?) Does the "location" listed when you register actually mean anything? (Like do you need to go there to take a final exam or anything?)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:40:40 am by tamahari »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: KIIP online classes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 08:48:03 am »
The way to get into the online classes is to show there is a reason you canít leave home, such as a newborn baby. Thatíll get you first dibs anyways for the very few spots which fill up quickly.

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 09:18:05 am »
I'm not asking how to get into the class. I'm asking what it's like to take the class. There are more options available for online classes now, because of COVID-19, I assume.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:40:59 am by tamahari »

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 12:06:27 pm »
I'm not asking how to get into the class. I'm asking what it's like to take the class. There are more options available for online classes now, because of COVID-19, I assume.

To my knowledge, the place listed as the overseeing university is where you should be taking your final exam. Our final exam was moved to another university due to overcrowding, though. The online class is really simple.

You need a headset. It makes hearing and responding much much easier.
They usually use Zoom or Webex, in my experience.
You will have class for 50 minutes and then get a 10 minute break. This repeats over and over until you have finished class for the day. You may have writing homework. Depending on your teacher or schedule, you may have to send it through the group chat or prepare to recite it in the next class.
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 09:02:16 am »
To my knowledge, the place listed as the overseeing university is where you should be taking your final exam. Our final exam was moved to another university due to overcrowding, though. The online class is really simple.

You need a headset. It makes hearing and responding much much easier.
They usually use Zoom or Webex, in my experience.
You will have class for 50 minutes and then get a 10 minute break. This repeats over and over until you have finished class for the day. You may have writing homework. Depending on your teacher or schedule, you may have to send it through the group chat or prepare to recite it in the next class.

Thank you. That is informative.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 12:30:42 pm »
For me, the online classes were fast paced (kinda depends on level) and not easy to hear/understand due to background noise and mics that other people had. I prefer in-person class whenever possible.

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 04:25:33 pm »
How much time does the homework for each class usually take? (Just very roughly.)

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 04:27:31 pm »
Depends on how much Korean you know. A lot of the homework is studying for the test. (Most in fact Iíd say.)

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 10:36:14 am »
Hi again.
I registered for an online class that is supposed to start on Saturday, but I haven't received any more information. Will we get instructions about how to access the class itself or how to get a textbook? How long do they wait to tell you those things before the class starts?

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 07:35:27 am »
It could be as close as the day before. You would get a phone call. They never really told me where to get the textbook, but it's available at Kyobo bookstore online or in-store. It's also usually on Gmarket.

They will send you a link/code to get into the class.

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 08:36:19 am »
The books are really cheap on coupang.  Search for: 한국어와 한국문화
 Level  0 book says 기초. Level 1 and 2 say 초급. Level 3 and 4 say 중급 but level 3 is 중급 1 and 4 is 중급 2. Level 5's book is different and is called 한국사회 이해.
Check the link below!

https://www.coupang.com/np/search?component=&q=%ED%95%9C%EA%B5%AD%EC%96%B4%EC%99%80+%ED%95%9C%EA%B5%AD%EB%AC%B8%ED%99%94&channel=user

Also here is PDFs online versions of the books for free.

https://www.kiipgrammar.com/resources.html

As for how the classes are conducted, my classes have been using Cisco Webex meet. I'm not sure what other classes are using though. It's possible that they're using different applications. Your teacher probably will contact you at least 2 days before the actual class to have a "practice meeting". Your teachers will also probably have everybody log in at a select time before the day of class and make sure all their info is correct. The teachers will either contact you through Kakao talk, regular messaging, or they will give you a call. They will most likely give you a link to the chatroom, so save that link!

My advice would be to enter your full passport name on your chat room when you sign up so that you don't run into unnecessary problems.

If something is not clear or you have have more questions, let me know!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:39:17 am by buckybee »

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 10:34:48 am »
I did levels 1-2 in class last year, then 3 and currently 4 online due to COVID.

Normally, yes, you need a reason like parenting to enroll in an online class, however due to COVID all KIIP classes are online right now. It's really not much different than the in-class though. You still are expected to do the 100 hours of lecture online during the times for your designated class (you are able to miss 20/100 hours). And you will do the entire textbook so if you do fall behind, it makes the lectures more difficult.

In my experience, the online class is a little bit of a pain as many people struggle with the webex application (waste of time) and it's more difficult to practice speaking. However, it is nice not to commute. Testing online is stressful. We had technical difficulties for the level 3 exam.

Lastly, it follows the same registration process as usual, so I'd check the KIIP blogspot someone linked earlier for the testing dates, etc. and keep an eye on socinet.

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 02:54:51 pm »
Oh, wait. The exam is online, too? I guess I figured that it was in person. I don't think the teacher specifically said at the start of the class, though.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 07:29:09 am »
Tests for levels 1 & 2 are in person.

I heard that from level 3, they are online.

At least that it what I believe my Teacher said, I was fried.
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 07:58:53 am »
I took level 3 online and we tested online. Currently in level 4 and to my knowledge we will also be testing online, however level 4 has a writing exam and I'm really not sure how that will work.

For level 3 we did class through WebEx and on test day we needed to use 2 devices, so in my case my laptop and iPhone. I set up the iPhone on a tripod across the room so the teacher can watch that you aren't cheating. KIIP tests are 20 multiple choice questions, so we did this in a survey on the app's group chat, then went solo with the teacher for the speaking test. Only level 4 and 5 have writing tests. Hope that helps. I'm unaware if levels 1 and 2 are different for testing online, sorry.

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 08:08:33 am »
I took level 4 test in-person at the testing location and it had speaking, writing, and multiple choice.......the speaking test seemed to ask questions that I don't even know if we talked about....it was 5 questions but you only go so far as you can answer....if you can't answer question 2 then you won't be asked questions 3-5. I did not do well on the speaking and I don't remember my score but it was just below passing unfortunately .....should have studied more