Read 2773 times

Electronic Translators!
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:37:44 am »
Hey you guys,

I'm looking to buy an electronic translator, would you suggest buying one while I'm still in America, or waiting until I'm in Korea? Also would buying a new ipod touch and then getting a translator app be a good substitute? On that same note, does anyone know any good translator apps for the ipod? I found this old thread "http://waygook.org/index.php?topic=2607.0" but it's all I could find on that subject and it wasn't very helpful.

Any advice is appreciated.

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
Re: Electronic Translators!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:10:20 am »
I just bought some K-E and E-K dictionaries for my iPod Touch, and I'm pretty happy with them... I got the Neungyule Korean-English Dictionary and the Neungyule-Longman English-Korean Dictionary.  There is a free Translator app made by Codesign that I like using, but it requires wifi or some other network connectivity, and I wanted a dictionary that was actually stored on the device.  The Eng-Kor Dictionary was $7.99, and the Kor-Eng was $6.99.  Yes, it sucks that one app doesn't go both ways.  You may only need one, but as I speak Korean (albeit not fluently) I opted for both. 

I'd be interested in other app suggestions but these two were pretty well reviewed on the iTunes store...  YMMV

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:45:25 am »
someone recommended that I get "Nurian X43" does anyone have any experience with this electronic translator?

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:45:53 am »
Cell phones here have dictionaries in them.

• gookie
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2010, 12:03:12 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:02 am »
oh, im also looking for one as well. I've seen a lot of them on Gmarket that are quite inexpensive. I would want one that can go both ways especially with sentences and expressions, as well as MP3 and movie playing functions.

• hildydoo
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 01:41:10 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:24 am »
I'm thinking about them too! I would want one that supports multiple languages, (since Korean is not the first foreign language I've studied).... If anybody knows, I'll be following this thread!

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:45:21 am »
Here's a website for a translator I've seen a friend using.  Totally awesome.  http://www.languageteacher.com/45_English_Indonesian_dictionary_English_Indonesian_translation_speaking_electronic_translator_talking_digital_pocket_portable_language_teacher.html I recommend the T-40L.  It has 40 languages and they do international shipping and warranties. I use my electronic dictionary for Korean class and he uses this.  His is faster with it in his native language, English, and Korean.  Great stuff.  Good luck finding what you need!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:48:08 am »
I've been looking atg them also. I'm currently very impressed with the Nurian series as they have a touch screen, and they've got Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English translation abilities.

I'm looking for one that does English, Korean and Japanese if anyone can recommend anything too.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:01:46 am »
I've never considered buying an electronic translator. I use my cellphone if I'm just running out, my computer (with full sized keyboard and google translate to spell-check my compositions), and my ipod (YBM all in one Kore-Eng-Kor) the other 95% of the time.

To me, it just doesn't make sense to spend $100-$200 on another electronic gadget when I'm already flooded with them. Plus, I'm not sure that I'd want to carry another tool, even if I got it for free.

I'd love to hear from people who do have dictionaries about why they made that decision and how it's been worth it.

And on the topic of electronic dictionaries - i'm very happy wit the YBM, but it's far from perfect. While the skin has all been translated to English, the dictionary entries them selves are clearly meant for a Korean learning English, not the other way. The games, too, are backward. I might invest in an electronic dictionary if it solved this problem. Or does anyone know of an iPod app designed for the Western market?

One more thing, for those with iPods. I love Declan's Korean flash cards for studying vocab, and there's another app called Dongsa, maybe (it has the words 하다 했어 하겠어) on the icon. Dongsa has verb conjugations (something my Korean-made dictionary program leaves out entirely). Which makes me think - if you're going to sink a bunch of money on an electronic dictionary, make sure it has these extra frills like verb conjugations and hanja support. Otherwise you're just getting a glorified cellphone dictionary.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:04:10 am by siamagoo »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:24:15 am »
Cell phones here have dictionaries in them.

Mine doesn't  :(
But then, I guess I got what I paid for.  :)