Read 514 times

• Pidge
  • Waygookin

• May 25, 2016, 08:15:03 am
    • Daejeon
Importing American phone to Korea?
« on: August 05, 2020, 10:30:37 am »
Hi all,

I'm really interested in importing an American phone for one reason: I haaaaate having a camera shutter sound. I know Korean phones all have it because of nefarious dudes, but I'm a benevolent chick lol. I just wanna take quiet photos.  :cry:
Oh, and I'm interested in getting a Google Pixel. That's another reason.

I tried googling around but can't find any definitive info about importing phones to Korea.
Has anyone done this before? Is it possible? Pricey?

If it's really not feasible, then is there ANY way to work around the shutter sound?

Thanks so much!

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
Re: Importing American phone to Korea?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:14:47 pm »
There is no way around the shutter sound. When you put a Korean sim card in a phone..it'll have that sound when you take a pic.
When I take my phone back to Canada and put in a Canadian sim card in my Korean phone I don't get any shutter sound when taking a pic.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 12:20:18 pm »
the only workaround is downloading a 3rd party app and taking photos through that

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 12:24:37 pm »
There is no way around the shutter sound. When you put a Korean sim card in a phone..it'll have that sound when you take a pic.
When I take my phone back to Canada and put in a Canadian sim card in my Korean phone I don't get any shutter sound when taking a pic.

I use my phone that I bought in the US and there is no shutter sound with a Korean sim in it

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 12:27:56 pm »
Since Pixels work on an eSim with Google Fi, you can always easily switch between sims in your settings and you won't have the shutter sound if it bothers you that much.

But from what I've noticed, the shutter sound on the Pixel is soft and hardly noticeable.

Current Pixel 3 user here. The Pixel 4a just came out and it looks superb!

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 12:32:43 pm »
I use my phone that I bought in the US and there is no shutter sound with a Korean sim in it
same

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 12:43:00 pm »
Most countries donít have the clicking sound (which I agree is really annoying). Google to find which donít - which is almost all - then buy a phone while on the vacation abroad.
yeah. it'll no doubt be cheaper than buying a phone in korea anyway

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 12:43:09 pm »
The sim card has nought to do with it. I went to Canada and the phone literally told me, "You're not in Korea or Japan so there's no shutter sound now."

It's location based.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?