Read 352 times

Getting a teaching certificate
« on: July 27, 2020, 03:17:06 pm »
For those of you that did not go abroad with a teaching certificate, did you get one later? If so, online or in person and where? I would be interested in programs specifically for the US.

For those of you who did not choose to get a teaching certificate, why?

I will be in Korea or a different country than my home country most likely for the rest of my working life and need to make sure I have a future. I thought about becoming a tour guide after I learn Korean to an advanced level and know enough history to pass the Korean tour guide certification classes/exams.....but that's quite far off.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Getting a teaching certificate
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 05:23:31 pm »
I came to South Korea in 2002 for only one year. The plan was to travel Asia a bit, to see some of the wider world outside my home country and its neighbor.

I quickly found out I LOVED living overseas, traveling AND teaching! So, I signed on for JUST one more year.

I soon realized I hadn't had enough yet, that four or five more years of teaching would be fun, so I decided to get a CELTA to learn how to teach BETTER.

So, after year 2 I re-signed a third year at the same hagwon on Geoje under one condition: a one-month break to go to New Zealand (a country i had wanted to visit) for the CELTA in all of January 2005 (nice summer weather in Auckland then, beaches great on the weekend).

(I first wanted to go to Uruguay for their advertised rarely-offered Cambridge CELTYL, which is CELTA for young learners, but the scheduling didn't work out.)

The CELTA program helped me a lot, and I was a keen learner of teaching for years, reading dozens of books on it (bought online through the Whatthebook? site).

None of my Korean employers gave a flying fig that I had the certificate, but then again I didn't do it for that kind of impact, though I was cognizant that it could open doors in other countries like the Czech Republic, Poland, etc).

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 05:54:18 pm »
I did the CELTYL after i had a CELTA and DELTA and after teaching kids for 10+ years but was still shocked how little I knew and how crap I was,at teaching kids. It'since been discontinued and people do the TYLEC instead. Needless to say no Korean employer has ever asked me any questions about qualifications in interviews.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 09:59:23 pm »
Has Celta, Delta changed the way you get paid in Korea??  From my experience here they want a degree in teaching and a MA in teaching/linguistics in order to get the "big bucks" here in Korea  (which isn't much at all)......Celta, Delta doesn't seem to affect pay here in Korea at all.   In fact it's never listed as anything above a regular TESL certificate.  It's valued much more in other countries.

Who cares what you've done, stoat..its not applicable... It shows you've probably wasted your money, especially if you are still here in Korea making less than 2.7 a month...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:15:12 pm by dippedinblush »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 10:18:58 pm »
CELTA allowed me to get a job with the British Council and become an IELTS examiner. DELTA  gets me a higher hourly rate for the BC, got me a jobs as a senior teacher on a higher salary scale and teacher trainer. Also enabled me to become a CELTA , DELTA, ICELT and TYLEC tutor, all for extra pay. But yeah, when I do the odd hourly paid stuff for Korean companies, all they're interested in is experience.  Considering I worked out the other day I've made about 100k doing IELTS examining over the years, my 1k on the CELTA was I reckon a pretty good investment.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 10:25:32 pm »
Wow!  So when are you gonna take me out for a drink?

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 07:55:46 am »
Thanks for the info, but what about an actual teaching license?

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 08:44:13 am »
I do have my license from the states. Every state has different requirements for a license and each university has their teaching classes set up to meet those requirements. Probably best to look online for certificates you can get online (if you plan on staying here to do it), or look for the requirements in the state you where you would like to get your certificate.