Read 845 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Anyone get a VPN for Netflix?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 01:23:39 pm »
Because it's theft.

I disagree. It's more like making a copy of someones notes.
It would be theft if you could download it, and then delete the original copy of the file, IMO.
However, downloading something doesn't remove it from the original source, the way stealing does. :P

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 01:26:33 pm »
It would be theft if you could download it, and then delete the original copy of the file, IMO.
However, downloading something doesn't remove it from the original source, the way stealing does. :P

Next time you create any art I'll make sure I come over and take a copy without asking and never even acknowledge the work you put into it.

People don't put 10 million dollars into a movie or a tv show so that people can share it around without paying. It's theft. Intellectual property is important.

People don't make art because you're bored and fidgety on a Thursday night. There's no doubt that artists, most of them, love what they do. They need to eat.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 01:28:38 pm »
Yeah, but I just can't get myself worked up over "stealing" shit from big channels like HBO (and most smaller "indie" stuff usually doesn't get enough attention to even have illegal downloads available).

They already got their money (plenty of it). Now gimme my television shows

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 01:40:24 pm »
Next time you create any art I'll make sure I come over and take a copy without asking and never even acknowledge the work you put into it.

People don't put 10 million dollars into a movie or a tv show so that people can share it around without paying. It's theft. Intellectual property is important.

People don't make art because you're bored and fidgety on a Thursday night. There's no doubt that artists, most of them, love what they do. They need to eat.

Go for it. I'll never do art / make music / etc. and if I did, it wouldn't be good enough to make money from, far from it haha.
And, I never agreed upon any intellectual property laws.
There are websites now that allow artists to get commissions and stuff now which allows them to turn their love of arts into business.
Also, somethings, like certain games, can only be gained now by downloading them from sites, as the places that made them went bankrupt and without selling the IPs on, which makes purchasing them impossible, or having to pay crazy prices to people on places like eBay.

While I disagree that downloading stuff is theft, I will always pay for the things first, and download it only if I: can no longer get it at a reasonable price through legit means, OR if I really hate the company that made the thing (even if the thing is something I like).

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 01:41:52 pm »

I realize you are joking, but stating your disagreement to a law
is not a defense.  I wouldn't advise using it if you end up in
court.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 01:53:19 pm »
Also, somethings, like certain games, can only be gained now by downloading them from sites, as the places that made them went bankrupt and without selling the IPs on, which makes purchasing them impossible, or having to pay crazy prices to people on places like eBay.

I will always pay for the things first, and download it only if I: can no longer get it at a reasonable price through legit means,

Thank you for writing this and clarifying things a bit. I'm not saying this is you, but I've just met so many people who have, like, 10TB of everything ever created and they say they're massive fans of things.

Like, no.............. You have a good job, you can afford this stuff. I understand not being able to find a DVD of some art movie from the 70s sure, but these people I've met have every single TV show from the last 5 years, every single movie that ever hit the top 10 at the box office, every album from anyone who's ever been on the radio ever and it's like, **** man, just take some more genius without paying for the toils of anyone.

Also, it's very easy to see the "Hollywood Fatcat" or the "Gold-Encrusted Record Producer" tropes, but it takes thousands of people to make a film. So the "Haha, take that, Hollywood Producers" stereotype doesn't really work.

We would never go into a Michelin restaurant, eat everything and then storm out saying that the fatcats have had their share, and the ONLY reason that is is because people would see you behaving badly (social shame) and the threat of being arrested (legal punitive measures).

It doesn't matter that the food that you ate would have been there had you not stolen it. The point is that you've not compensated the head chef for his ideas, nor the line cooks for their labour, not the owner for his massive risk of investing in the restaurant in the first place.

If TV shows were all left in some box on USB keys down a tunnel, and the police were always hanging around and watching the box, you would NEVER take anything from that box. 
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 01:56:15 pm »
If they have 10TB of whatever they're just hoarders. The majority of the time people are downloading these days is because its not on Netflix or Spotify is blocked in their country or something like that.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 01:56:56 pm »
I realize you are joking, but stating your disagreement to a law
is not a defense.  I wouldn't advise using it if you end up in
court.

I'd say I'm about 70 - 30 in joking / not joking.
Yeah, I wouldn't haha.
I only view theft / stealing as in, completely taking a physical object without permission, or copying something digital in a way to try make lots of profit from without compensating the original source. With the 2nd, I agree with CO2, but only when it comes to small artists and stuff. With big companies that say drop $10mil on making a movie and complain it only made $200mil profit and stuff, to them I don't consider it stealing.

Most download places don't even earn money from your download, but would only gather revenue off ads anyway; And ad blocker is so common, that you probably aren't giving them anything either; And most people will probably just be using it for personal use and not to trying make money from it.

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 01:58:11 pm »
Thank you for writing this and clarifying things a bit. I'm not saying this is you, but I've just met so many people who have, like, 10TB of everything ever created and they say they're massive fans of things.

Like, no.............. You have a good job, you can afford this stuff. I understand not being able to find a DVD of some art movie from the 70s sure, but these people I've met have every single TV show from the last 5 years, every single movie that ever hit the top 10 at the box office, every album from anyone who's ever been on the radio ever and it's like, **** man, just take some more genius without paying for the toils of anyone.

Also, it's very easy to see the "Hollywood Fatcat" or the "Gold-Encrusted Record Producer" tropes, but it takes thousands of people to make a film. So the "Haha, take that, Hollywood Producers" stereotype doesn't really work.

We would never go into a Michelin restaurant, eat everything and then storm out saying that the fatcats have had their share, and the ONLY reason that is is because people would see you behaving badly (social shame) and the threat of being arrested (legal punitive measures).

It doesn't matter that the food that you ate would have been there had you not stolen it. The point is that you've not compensated the head chef for his ideas, nor the line cooks for their labour, not the owner for his massive risk of investing in the restaurant in the first place.

If TV shows were all left in some box on USB keys down a tunnel, and the police were always hanging around and watching the box, you would NEVER take anything from that box. 

Interestingly, I remember reading an article somewhere (it was a long time ago, so, I'm not able to provide any citation) that typically people who pirated large amounts of music were often people who also spent the most money on music, in the form of concert tickets, merch, vinyl, etc.

It's still stealing, but I thought it was an interesting bit of information.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 02:01:43 pm »

If I really am a big fan of something, I will try to support it with my money. A good example for me is Japanese manga and animation.
My favourite series is World Trigger. I read the manga online for free, but whenever I go to Japan, I try to pick up a few more of the books from a bookstore.
So, this is something that I didn't convey well in my series parts of my replies. I buy the books in Japanese, my Japanese isn't nearly high enough to read them, so I read it on fan websites that have people translate them etc.
Another is: Maybe I bought a physical version of a game, game gets stolen, can't get it anymore. I feel I've already supported them and will just download it to play again.

I think it's not always theft downloading something, but it sometimes can be. The circumstances / context is what does / doesn't.

Also, I don't think the food example is relevant here. We can't just make a copy of food out of nothing, like we can with digital media.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:08:23 pm by Kayos »

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 02:49:20 pm »
One argument in favour of downloading is format.  If I bought
the White Album forty years ago on vinyl, should I have had to
repurchase the same thing on cassette, eight-track, CD, MP3
and then FLAC?

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 06:38:16 pm »
By the way, does anyone know where to find a resource that shows where to find Netflix locations by subtitles.  I would like to find a better selection of movies with Korean subtitles (for my spouse) than here or find other foreign movies with both English and Korean subtitles af the same time.  I have heard some countries allow you to show multiple subtitles at the same time.  Finding more Korean movies with English subitles would be cool.  Regional restrictions are a pain.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:42:48 pm by hippo »

• buckybee
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Gunsan
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2020, 08:55:44 am »
By the way, does anyone know where to find a resource that shows where to find Netflix locations by subtitles.  I would like to find a better selection of movies with Korean subtitles (for my spouse) than here or find other foreign movies with both English and Korean subtitles af the same time.  I have heard some countries allow you to show multiple subtitles at the same time.  Finding more Korean movies with English subitles would be cool.  Regional restrictions are a pain.

You can do it here in Korea. I usually use a chrome extention called NflxMultiSubs. You can play two subtitles that netflix already has or you can upload your own subtitle files.
Also if you interested in studying Korean or any language through movies/shows you could download the extension Language Learning With Netflix. I like both extentions but sometimes adding subtitle files is a pain.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2020, 12:46:04 pm »
I used Windscribe to successfully connect to Netflix US a few weeks back. It's a paid VPN sadly, but the free version gives you 10gb a month. Not much, but good for a few episodes.

Same.

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 03:37:50 pm »
You can do it here in Korea. I usually use a chrome extention called NflxMultiSubs. You can play two subtitles that netflix already has or you can upload your own subtitle files.
Also if you interested in studying Korean or any language through movies/shows you could download the extension Language Learning With Netflix. I like both extentions but sometimes adding subtitle files is a pain.

Thanks! I will try it out.  I mostly quit actively using Chrome because it unnecessarily wastes so many system resources, but I will check it out for this.