Read 846 times

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Anyone get a VPN for Netflix?
« on: July 23, 2020, 09:17:57 am »
There is so much crap on Netflix and I'm starting to think of cancelling it, as every time I read about something good I'd like to see invariably it's not available here. Something like It's Always Sunny for example.  If anyone has done it, is the Korean stuff still available?  I share my Netflix with my girlfriend and her cousin and I know they use it so I don't want to cut them off from their beloved series. 

Also, if you get a VPN are you able to sign up for HBO Max or the like?  I'd love to get that. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Anyone get a VPN for Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:21:03 am »
I've considered it myself, even to try get disney+
My biggest gripe with netflix here, is the mandatory yearly age check. My age check never works for me, and I haven't been able to identify the problem.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 09:26:13 am »
I used Windscribe to successfully connect to Netflix US a few weeks back. It's a paid VPN sadly, but the free version gives you 10gb a month. Not much, but good for a few episodes.

Anyway, I only connected to the US Netflix because I wanted to verify that it has Supernatural, which it does. Korean Netflix doesn't have it for some reason, and I really want to watch it with my wife (her English is great, but she prefers watching with Korean subtitles).

If anyone knows where I can get hold of that I'd be grateful.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:38:18 am »
I'm a little confused by this post but I use Nord VPN and I pay for it. i believe Supernatural is streaming . I can't be 100% sure because I got bored of that show several years ago.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:40:35 am »
Netflix is good, but there are plenty of free streaming services that have most everything.  123movies and moviesjoy are two that Iíve heard people use.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 09:43:14 am »
i've had express VPN since I got here (originally for watching game of thrones) and I use it for netflix all the time too. i've signed up for other things using it, too(ex. I downloaded Apex Legends before it was available here) and I haven't had any problemsthis is not a paid advertisement

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 09:44:34 am »
I use ExpressVPN for a bunch of stuff, including for Netflix, and I regularly server hop to watch things available in some countries but not in others.

Did it for Hulu (which I cancelled after a while), too.

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:08:53 am »
Korea is one of the worst countries on earth to watch Netflix.
It is "slightly" better than the Republic of the Congo, though.

https://www.finder.com/netflix-usa-vs-world-content

-South Korea # of TV Shows 148 and # of Movies 480
-USA # of TV Shows 1157 and # of Movies 4593

South Korea has approximately 12.79% of American content.

Netflix regularly blocks the IP addresses of VPNs.  Your VPN
may work for a while and then stop.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 10:21:49 am »

i assume this is probably more of a problem with free VPNs

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 10:48:23 am »

Wow good information thanks. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 11:09:13 am »

I had no idea it was that bad.  I will have to look into getting a VPN.  I've never used one previously.  I used to find everything I wanted to download on torrent sites but as my computer has gotten older and slower I just watch Netflix on my Ipad.  Doesn't let me download torrents as far as I've been able to tell. 

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 11:20:30 am »
I got a VPN specifically so I could start a rewatching marathon of ATLA. and Supernatural. Sometimes Netflix gets touchy, like, "We see you're using a VPN..." but I just change which city the VPN's connected to and go right on my merry way.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 11:25:55 am »
With regards to Netflix blocking VPNs, some VPNs actively update their addresses so they can stay a step ahead of Netflix, though I imagine that's probably a feature more common of paid services. I use HideMyAss, and they have a specific server/address set up specifically for streaming. Every now and then I'll try to watch something and get the notification that I can't because Netflix detected a VPN, but it's never been long before the VPN updated the addresses and I could use it again.

You'll still have access to Korean market stuff for your GF and cousin, you'd just leave the VPN off when they want to watch something. When you want to use it, just close out Netflix, turn on your VPN, and open Netflix again. Boom, you'll get the content of whatever region your VPN is set to.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 12:31:48 pm »
With regards to Netflix blocking VPNs, some VPNs actively update their addresses so they can stay a step ahead of Netflix, though I imagine that's probably a feature more common of paid services. I use HideMyAss, and they have a specific server/address set up specifically for streaming. Every now and then I'll try to watch something and get the notification that I can't because Netflix detected a VPN, but it's never been long before the VPN updated the addresses and I could use it again.

You'll still have access to Korean market stuff for your GF and cousin, you'd just leave the VPN off when they want to watch something. When you want to use it, just close out Netflix, turn on your VPN, and open Netflix again. Boom, you'll get the content of whatever region your VPN is set to.

Good to know, thanks. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 12:39:13 pm »
I had no idea it was that bad.  I will have to look into getting a VPN.  I've never used one previously.  I used to find everything I wanted to download on torrent sites but as my computer has gotten older and slower I just watch Netflix on my Ipad.  Doesn't let me download torrents as far as I've been able to tell.

Torrent websites seem to get shut down real quick now anyways :(
All the good free ones, anyway.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 12:47:51 pm »

Depends what you are after, PirateProxy is pretty good for movies. Music you can just grab from Youtube to MP3.

Edit: I mean, I don't use those but have a 'friend'... Yes a 'friend' that does.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »

Because it's theft.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• hippo
  • Veteran

• July 16, 2011, 11:28:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 01:04:18 pm »
I use ExpressVPN for a bunch of stuff, including for Netflix, and I regularly server hop to watch things available in some countries but not in others.

Did it for Hulu (which I cancelled after a while), too.

I just wanted to add that Disney+ works well with Express VPN.   Also, I have used HBO and Amazon Prime in the past along with the aforementioned US Netflix.

Another benefit is I can set my location to the US from my phone and not have to use Daesung communication for Skype for older relatives that still use landlines.  The telecommunications act was a bummer.  I had enough free Skype minutes through an Office 365 subscription and they made it impossible to use them here.

Express VPN has a no-logging policy for what it's worth.

No VPN should be 100% trusted even if they say they do not keep logs, but the free ones are especially bad.  A lot of data just got leaked in plain text https://www.techlatest.in/1-2-tb-of-user-data-leaked-by-vpns-including-flash-vpn-ufo-vpn-and-five-other/

This seems like a good guide to the VPN services.  https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-the-best-vpn-for-you/

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 01:05:18 pm »
Because it's theft.

I agree it's theft.  But network/content owners leave us little choice.  If Netflix Korea has
only 10% of American content, then it should be 10% the cost of the USA's monthly
subscription rate.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 01:16:25 pm »
I agree it's theft.  But network/content owners leave us little choice.  If Netflix Korea has
only 10% of American content, then it should be 10% the cost of the USA's monthly
subscription rate.

I used eztv and Torrentday for years.  I know it's theft but once I started doing loads of privates I figured my soul had already been forsaken.  There was no way to redeem myself.  In for a penny in for a pound.