Read 1608 times

So covid19 has been going on for many months now, it's not new.

I just received today a message from my VP giving me a document about COVID19 guidelines/rules(?) from the Edu. ministry in English.
Was this sent to all english teachers as well?  I find it odd timing they would send me this notice today.  If everyone else also received one from their school / VP, then fine.  If I was the only one that got it, it must mean something else like a hint at something....maybe a gentle reprimand?  IDK.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
So covid19 has been going on for many months now, it's not new.

I just received today a message from my VP giving me a document about COVID19 guidelines/rules(?) from the Edu. ministry in English.
Was this sent to all english teachers as well?  I find it odd timing they would send me this notice today.  If everyone else also received one from their school / VP, then fine.  If I was the only one that got it, it must mean something else like a hint at something....maybe a gentle reprimand?  IDK.

Would you consider uploading it or pointing to it online?  Even delete the district/names/etc would be fine and dandy.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

Would you consider uploading it or pointing to it online?  Even delete the district/names/etc would be fine and dandy.

Sure, here is what it says copy and pasted:

Individual Precautionary rules for Infectious Diseases Management
for EPIK Native English Teachers Gyeonggi Office of Education

1. Maintain distance (at least 2 meters) with the others in the public places.

2. Putting the mask on in the public places where keeping distance is difficult, as well as avoiding talking with spittle flying in the air.
    (exception: those who have trouble breathing when putting mask on, those who have difficulty removing mask by themselves, and infants under 2 years old)

3. Wash hands for more than 30 seconds or disinfect hands using sterilizer before meal, after using bathroom, after returning from outside, and in case of blowing nose, coughing or sneezing.

4. Keeping the coughing etiquette. (i.e. covering mouth and nose with tissue or clothes when coughing or sneezing)

5. Keep ventilation in tact for more than twice a day, as well as regular disinfection.

6. Avoid visiting public places with high risk of infection, and keeping social distance in case of having to do so.

7. In suspected case of detecting symptoms of COVID-19 during vacation, contact the school administrative immediately.

8. Avoid visiting overseas due to the fact that 2-week self quarantine period is required after return, hence possibly influencing the second semester schedule.

END

I'm just curious why I received this from my VP now?  It's not like a) I don't know any of this and b) all of this written stuff is self-explanatory, common sense, and repetitive stuff we've heard for months now.

I'm just wondering, was this some sort of mandatory message that all english teachers in EPIK have to receive or did most of you not even get this at all?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
I got something like this way back in like April, or May.

I'm just wondering, was this some sort of mandatory message that all english teachers in EPIK have to receive or did most of you not even get this at all?
Man, you are one paranoid puppy. I'm a generally anxious person myself, and sometimes worry my co-workers are conspiring against me, so I can relate somewhat. But to dream up a scenario in which the VP of your school is so perturbed by your hygienic negligence that he went and forged an official announcement from the Gyeonggi education office is just straight up insanity.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Man, you are one paranoid puppy. I'm a generally anxious person myself, and sometimes worry my co-workers are conspiring against me, so I can relate somewhat. But to dream up a scenario in which the VP of your school is so perturbed by your hygienic negligence that he went and forged an official announcement from the Gyeonggi education office is just straight up insanity.
Maybe the 343 teachers before them all passed away due to hygiene issues?

... btw, this line of thinking makes me wonder what happened to your 3284 predecessors...

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
There have been constant messages from my school on the messaging app as well as the phone alerts giving basically the same information (in Korean). Maybe talk to a therapist if you are feeling isolated and victimized.

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
yes. at first i got in via my KT, the Korean version with her google translation. Then  she printed it out , brought to  me and explained it. THEN i got an email last night. Like we don't know or haven't been following these protocols for months now. It's exhausting to be treated like an imbecile.

It's exhausting to be treated like an imbecile.

yep

Yes, that looks like the one I got.  I'm guessing you are in Daejeon too.  But maybe you aren't as we have had messages like this as reminders - it seems like once a month - from the DMOE.

I'm also guessing that because it is our summer vacation coming up and they don't want to infect our schools when we come back.  I guess they really just want us to not let down our guard and relax.

You are not alone in getting it - you were not singled out.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Weren't there a bunch of idiots who went in partied in Itaewon and spread COVID (foreigners and Koreans together) a couple of months ago?  I assume it is a notice to be careful during vacation.  I either go abroad or go to Seoul for a week during vacation.  But, I will be staying local this summer.   (I will miss all the foreign food I can eat up in Seoul though some food is spreading out to the provinces the last couple of years.)

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Sure, here is what it says copy and pasted:

Individual Precautionary rules for Infectious Diseases Management
for EPIK Native English Teachers Gyeonggi Office of Education

1. Maintain distance (at least 2 meters) with the others in the public places.

2. Putting the mask on in the public places where keeping distance is difficult, as well as avoiding talking with spittle flying in the air.
    (exception: those who have trouble breathing when putting mask on, those who have difficulty removing mask by themselves, and infants under 2 years old)

3. Wash hands for more than 30 seconds or disinfect hands using sterilizer before meal, after using bathroom, after returning from outside, and in case of blowing nose, coughing or sneezing.

4. Keeping the coughing etiquette. (i.e. covering mouth and nose with tissue or clothes when coughing or sneezing)

5. Keep ventilation in tact for more than twice a day, as well as regular disinfection.

6. Avoid visiting public places with high risk of infection, and keeping social distance in case of having to do so.

7. In suspected case of detecting symptoms of COVID-19 during vacation, contact the school administrative immediately.

8. Avoid visiting overseas due to the fact that 2-week self quarantine period is required after return, hence possibly influencing the second semester schedule.

END

I'm just curious why I received this from my VP now?  It's not like a) I don't know any of this and b) all of this written stuff is self-explanatory, common sense, and repetitive stuff we've heard for months now.

Thank you.

I work for SMOE and didn't get anything like this.  Though there are numerous posters up all over school with this all in diagrams and Korean.  So, it's just boilerplate--I was wondering if they made some special rules about not leaving your home/town/gu or whatever.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

Maybe the 343 teachers before them all passed away due to hygiene issues?

... btw, this line of thinking makes me wonder what happened to your 3284 predecessors...

hahaha you guys are so funny.  Yes I am teacher number 344 in Korea. :) 

Good to hear some others got it too, then it's not just me.   
A few weeks ago they also told me I had to go online to this Korean government website to take their sexual education seminar it was called.  It's all in Korean so I didn't think English teacher would have to take it.  How can we if we can't even navigate the website by ourselves?  Wouldn't they have made an english version for us?   I believe that online video seminar course is about making sure we know the rules of how to properly conduct ourselves and interact with students and understand sexual crimes or stuff like that.  It was very uncomfortable but I found out later all the teachers had to do it, too. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Yes I am teacher number 344 in Korea. :) 

Right in one! Glad to know I still got it!
Although, I gotta say, I was hoping that 03-44 was your D.O.B. Woulda been nice to finally have somebody pull rank on all the old fogies here on waygook who keep yammering on about the good ol' days here in Korea...

• WoodsA15
  • Waygookin

• January 14, 2018, 01:22:15 pm
    • Pocheon, South Korea
I recieved this in an E-mail from the office of Education, and then it was printed out and given to me by my handler yesterday.

OP, I don't mean to be disparaging, but is this your first salaried job?

This stuff is pretty standard- memos, training vids, etc. that are mandatory viewing so whomever you work for can cover their ass in terms of liability. Get used to it. This will happen regularly for the rest of your government/office working life.

Don't let it get to you. Make a cup of tea, grab a snack and a book, and half-listen to whatever vid you have to. It will be smooth sailing.

A good rule of thumb for these things is that very seldom do things revolve around you or are focused on you in large orgs. Unless you're called into an office, don't sweat it.

I've gotten them once a month for about the last 4 months or so. In both email form from my EPIK coordinator and in paper form from my co-teacher.

A good rule of thumb for these things is that very seldom do things revolve around you or are focused on you in large orgs. Unless you're called into an office, don't sweat it.

Generally, when you write this nonsense you are wrong, but in this case, during Covid-19 you are more wrong than normal.  During this pandemic, which is tant amount to an being a health emergency, there is no reason why native teachers shouldn't be given a translated copy of the basic protocol to stop the spread of this virus.  Think about teachers who've only been here a year or two and can't understand Korean.  They need to know what to do. Think of a small school with 10 teachers, one of whom is native teacher, not advising 10% of the staff of what they should or shouldn't be doing is not acceptable.  They have the means to produce these translated copies and the Ministry of Education employs thousands of foreigners so to not distribute these is not in the same boat as your usual nonsense about 'things don't revolve around you'.  This is not the same as not being told about school dinners or crap like that. 

Why do you think airlines show the safety procedure videos in the their home language and English?  If there were problems in a safety situation as a non-native, you know what to do.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Ronnie, DMart's point was that the school wasn't saying anything about OP's paranoia about being singled out and the paranoia they felt about being different.

The school board has an English speaker and they translate the memo to be sent out to all the Native teachers. The school didn't passive-aggressively send OP a note to shame her because the science teacher saw her in the park a few days ago not wearing a mask.

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
hahaha you guys are so funny.  Yes I am teacher number 344 in Korea. :) 

Good to hear some others got it too, then it's not just me.   
A few weeks ago they also told me I had to go online to this Korean government website to take their sexual education seminar it was called.  It's all in Korean so I didn't think English teacher would have to take it.  How can we if we can't even navigate the website by ourselves?  Wouldn't they have made an english version for us?   I believe that online video seminar course is about making sure we know the rules of how to properly conduct ourselves and interact with students and understand sexual crimes or stuff like that.  It was very uncomfortable but I found out later all the teachers had to do it, too. 

Sounds like your co teacher is an idiot who doesn't know what she's doing.