Read 963 times

• adc821
  • Explorer

• July 16, 2018, 08:11:57 am
Reapply to EPIKin the same city
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:15:07 am »
So my school has told me that they may not be having a EPIK teacher next year (maybe). So I was looking for the process of reapplying for the same city. What is the process of apply for a new school in the same city? (Incheon)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:32:30 am by adc821 »

Re: Reapply to EPIKin the same city
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:17:07 am »
What province are you? 

• adc821
  • Explorer

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:31:05 am »
I'm in Incheon so I believe it is  that Gyeonggi Province.
What province are you? 

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38:15 am »
Incheon is not Gyeonggi, from what I can tell. so you're near the airport?
but Icheon is in Gyeonggi

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 09:39:31 am »

Incheon is not Gyeonggi.

These are very common misconceptions about how jurisdiction works in Korea. Daejeon is not really "in" Chungcheong province, in the same way that Daegu, Ulsan and Busan aren't in Gyeongsang, nor Gwangju in Jeolla-do.

These are all Metropolitan level cities and have absolutely zero overlap with any government departments from the provincial level. Incheon is too big and has its own complete governmental system, including its own, proper, Ministry of Education.

Of course, they are in these provinces when talking about language/dialect, and culture, and from a certain view they can be said to be "in" the province because most of these metropolitan cities only have one border; that with the province surrounding it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:41:14 am by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• adc821
  • Explorer

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 09:42:57 am »
Incheon is not Gyeonggi.

These are very common misconceptions about how jurisdiction works in Korea. Daejeon is not really "in" Chungcheong province, in the same way that Daegu, Ulsan and Busan aren't in Gyeongsang, nor Gwangju in Jeolla-do.

These are all Metropolitan level cities and have absolutely zero overlap with any government departments from the provincial level. Incheon is too big and has its own complete governmental system, including its own, proper, Ministry of Education.

Of course, they are in these provinces when talking about language/dialect, and culture, and from a certain view they can be said to be "in" the province because most of these metropolitan cities only have one border; that with the province surrounding it.

Ah... okay thank you for the clarification.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 10:00:17 am »
I'd always recommend contacting your local coordinator first and see what they have to say.  Generally, they'll know what's available and whether they can just slide you across to an opening elsewhere in the area.  I think by looking, that Sarah Hyun is the Incheon Native Teacher coordinator, so I think first it'd be worth seeing if she can help you. Her details are here....

http://www.ice.go.kr/sub/info.do?m=0404&s=english

• shanty15
  • Newgookin

• February 21, 2018, 08:37:12 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 10:54:39 am »
I'm in Gwangju, which is also a Metropolitan office of Education and the way they do it here is they ask the schools if they would like to keep the same teacher. The schools can reply  yes- stay at the same school. No- teacher should go to a new school, or no- teacher should not teach at all. Maybe your school will suggest to your MOE that you be moved to a new school. You can also note your desire fgor a new school in renewal paperwork. Usually if you want to stay within the same city but move schools you just contact your office of education. No  need to reapply to EPIK. Does Incheon have a NET program manager?

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 01:20:00 pm »
So my school has told me that they may not be having a EPIK teacher next year (maybe). So I was looking for the process of reapplying for the same city. What is the process of apply for a new school in the same city? (Incheon)

I am in Incheon. The others are right, Incheon is not part of a province, it is designated as an metropolitan city. I don't know what will happen in your situation, but in the past if a school decides that they aren't going to have a native teacher, if you are in good standing with your school the IMOE will transfer to another school. In that case, you wouldn't have to reapply. I have a friend that was in my orientation group that was placed at a school our first year and then the second year the school couldn't keep him for budget reasons. I think his school was in an area with a declining  population and the enrollment was shrinking, so they weren't getting the budget that they used to. That was five years ago and they are still with the IMOE.

On the other hand, I know someone who had some conflict with their school and the school decided they didn't want to carry on with a native teacher (i.e. them!), and because of their bad standing, the IMOE didn't offer another school for them. That is why I am pretty sure you have to be in good standing with your school in order to transfer.

Once your school decides what they want to do, talk to our coordinator about staying in Incheon. Also, ask your school to put in a good word for you. You shouldn't have to apply again. Good luck!

I am not sure what the process is if you would decide to leave Incheon and teach elsewhere in Korea.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:00:18 am by annataleen »

• adc821
  • Explorer

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 02:13:30 pm »
Thank you I a
I am in Incheon. The others are right, Incheon is not part of a province, it is designated as an metropolitan city. I don't know what will happen in your situation, but in the past if a school decides that they aren't going to have a native teacher, if you are in good standing with your school the IMOE will transfer to another school. In that case, you wouldn't have to reapply. I have a friend that was in my orientation group that was placed at a school our first year and then the second year the school couldn't keep him for budget reasons. I think his school was in an area with a declining and the enrollment was shrinking population, so they weren't getting the budget that they used to. That was five years ago and they are still with the IMOE.

On the other hand, I know someone who had some conflict with their school and the school decided they didn't want to carry on with a native teacher (i.e. them!), and because of their bad standing, the IMOE didn't offer another school for them. That is why I am pretty sure you have to be in good standing with your school in order to transfer.

Once your school decides what they want to do, talk to our coordinator about staying in Incheon. Also, ask your school to put in a good word for you. You shouldn't have to apply again. Good luck!

I am not sure what the process is if you would decide to leave Incheon and teach elsewhere in Korea.

Thank you. I am actually in great standing with the school. All my co-teacher are recommending that I change schools.  We got a new principal and he keeps asking me to do things that at technically illegal (like teaching grades below 3rd) and I (an my co-teacher) have explained that I can't. Soon after that I was told that the native teacher may be changed from me to another.  So I was worried that I would have to completely reapply to EPIK again. But it looks a lot simpler than I thought .

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Incheon
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 03:29:36 pm »
Thank you I a

Thank you. I am actually in great standing with the school. All my co-teacher are recommending that I change schools.  We got a new principal and he keeps asking me to do things that at technically illegal (like teaching grades below 3rd) and I (an my co-teacher) have explained that I can't. Soon after that I was told that the native teacher may be changed from me to another.  So I was worried that I would have to completely reapply to EPIK again. But it looks a lot simpler than I thought .

Oh, so they are getting a new native teacher?

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 06:33:55 pm »
not sure where you people are getting your information but you are all wrong.
According to EPIK, if you do not renew your contract with the school and then want to go to another school, you can't transfer.  There is no such thing.  You have to re-apply and be back in line like everyone else.

They also told me you are not allowed to work in the same province the following calendar school year. You have to wait until 6 months to next year.   You can however apply to any other province other than the current province you worked in.

When I completed my contract at previous school, I wasn't allowed to transfer they told me.  They said I have to re-apply but not for the following march start.  That's why I decided to go with a recruiter and found work in a city-funded school not by EPIK.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 07:22:16 am »
According to EPIK, if you do not renew your contract with the school and then want to go to another school, you can't transfer.  There is no such thing.  You have to re-apply and be back in line like everyone else.

They also told me you are not allowed to work in the same province the following calendar school year. You have to wait until 6 months to next year.   You can however apply to any other province other than the current province you worked in.

When I completed my contract at previous school, I wasn't allowed to transfer they told me.  They said I have to re-apply but not for the following march start.  That's why I decided to go with a recruiter and found work in a city-funded school not by EPIK.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but you are wrong. EPIK has nothing to do with renewals/transfers. It's down to your province/metropolitan office of education. I have twice requested a transfer on the renewal form and both times the request has been granted.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 07:53:32 am »
Thank you I a

In the future, teach whatever they tell you teach.  If something's illegal, they'll get in shit and not you.  Certain things I'll push back like vacations.  But, I choose my battles.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 07:55:17 am »
I'm not sure where you are getting your information but you are wrong. EPIK has nothing to do with renewals/transfers. It's down to your province/metropolitan office of education. I have twice requested a transfer on the renewal form and both times the request has been granted.

Sadly, his province or school didn't like him.  (Sorry to say that.)  Hence, why he had to go to another province or location. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 07:57:33 am »
Question?  You teach at one school and always stay at the same school out there? 

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Incheon
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 07:58:34 am »

This hasn't been the case from what I have seen in Incheon, where the OP is. If the OP wants to renew and the school isn't going to have a native teacher, they should be able to renew within the IMOE if they are in good standing with their current school. We renew with the IMOE, not our school, but most of us stay at our schools when we renew.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:01:05 am by annataleen »

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 08:13:58 am »
They also told me you are not allowed to work in the same province the following calendar school year.

Who writes these shit policies? Why would you want aimless nomads teaching your kids?

-Better not make any friends, I'll be moving TO A DIFFERENT BLOODY PROVINCE SOON.
-Why take pride in my local city? I'll be moving TO A DIFFERENT BLOODY PROVINCE SOON.
-Dating? I'll be moving TO A DIFFERENT BLOODY PROVINCE SOON.

What the fukk is the benefit of shuffling random people around, not even schools, but different provinces? If I'm doing a good job, then keep me or promote me, don;t shuffle me around and tell me that I can't work in this 16% of Korea any longer. Fukking infuriating.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 08:24:52 am »

Not sure how you were hired but from my experience if you are hired via EPIK, your contract is with the provincial board, not the school. So, you can transfer easily within the province. It's completely up to the province to transfer you. You can request a transfer, but they can deny you one. I've transferred a few times within my province with no problems.

You re-apply if you want to change provinces.

• adc821
  • Explorer

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 11:53:41 am »
Thank you for all the information. I was just worried about the process. Because if I need to reapply to stay in the same city then I would need to start getting all the required documents again. But I am in good standing with the teacher and the vice principal just not the new principal (only been working at the school since April) and he doesn't put much importance in English. He has told this to all the English teachers and cut pretty much all funding to the English department (we have like 120,000 or less for the full year).

Burt anyway this has been one of the only problems that I have come across in my 2.5 years of teaching at my school. So thanks for all the helpful information. I'll contact Sarah when my school reaches a decision.