Read 1638 times

Did every speed camera just go online?
« on: July 19, 2020, 01:48:25 pm »
I got 4 speeding tickets last month!

I almost never get them as I slow down for the cameras and/or I know they're inactive, been driving the same routes for years and rarely do I receive any. Never been in a single accident, so calm your tatas.

What's more, some of them are for going a whopping 5km over the limit... Come on! 

A billion speed bumps, robots/traffic lights that take 5min to change and speed cameras everywhere. This is not a fun place to drive.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Did every speed camera just go online?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »
don't speed then innit

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 03:10:54 pm »
Skynet ;)

Thanks for the heads up.
Will stay under the limit.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 03:30:39 pm »
A billion speed bumps

And why do they all force you to slow down to 20 kpm below the posted speed limit??

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 05:44:18 pm »

A billion speed bumps, robots/traffic lights that take 5min to change and speed cameras everywhere. This is not a fun place to drive.

Is it really worth the trouble?

Unless you have kids that you need to ferry around, then there really seems no reason to own a car here. Especially if you live in Seoul or environs.

If I have have friends visiting and we want to do a road trip then I will hire a car. But that is occasional and usually the same places can be reached by public transport.

Catch my drift?

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 06:09:13 pm »
Skynet ;)

Thanks for the heads up.
Will stay under the limit.

What for?
You just throw the tickets in your glove box anyways.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 06:20:22 pm »

Unless you have kids that you need to ferry around, then there really seems no reason to own a car here. Especially if you live in Seoul or environs.

If I have have friends visiting and we want to do a road trip then I will hire a car. But that is occasional and usually the same places can be reached by public transport.

When I came to Korea, one of the first things I noticed (and things haven't changed), was how sick I got after enduring a taxi or bus ride; their foot only seems to be doing one of 2 things, pedal to the metal or hard brake. Motion sickness was something I've had since childhood and this took it to another level. None of my schools are within reasonable walking distance (less than 15min), and my city doesn't have a metro. I also go to the track 3-4 times a week, which is a 10min drive away.

For me, it's absolutely essential to own a car. I need the freedom to hop in, go where I want and not have to endure TB infected ajjumas coughing their lungs out on buses or me nearly upchucking in the backseat because the taxi driver doesn't understand the word 'smooth'.

My car is an old, but reliable steed, it's MT which allows me to drive smoothly and it ends up saving a hell of lot of money and time, as opposed to relying exclusively on public transport.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 06:54:59 am »
I've mentioned before about when I got my international licence from my local police station a few years ago so I would be able to drive in England.  Got it, no problems.  Then I went back the year after to renew it again so I could drive in England.  But this time, the admin person at the police office, said I had an outstanding speeding ticket from ten years ago when I had a rental car.  I mean first, I was annoyed that the guy I rented the car off didn't tell me and then I was wondering why they let me get the international licence the year before with no problems.  These tickets gain interest over time so it was something like 76 000 won.  I paid it and then they issued my international licence. 

Thing is I have a police friend, and he said that sometimes they need money (obviously the first year I got the licence, it wasn't important) so they'll be stricter and call their fines in, even adjusting how strict they are.  I can only muse that funding is a problem this year, so they're getting their extra money from these kinds of things. 

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 08:54:49 am »

What's more, some of them are for going a whopping 5km over the limit... Come on! 

You should use a Korean navigation app, the one I use is called '원내비' and it tells you whenever there's a speed camera and sounds an alarm if you're speeding.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:58:05 am by belo horizonte »

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 08:59:55 am »
You should use a Korean navigation app, the one I use is called '원내비' and it tells you whenever there's a speed camera and sounds an alarm if you're speeding.

Naver Map works well enough, as well~

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 09:13:37 am »

I use Naver Maps, but don't bother with GPS unless I need directions. I'll keep it on from now on.

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 11:09:20 am »
I've noticed a lot more police cars actually patrolling and stopping people, too. More than I've ever seen before. It's good - any baby steps towards actually enforcing traffic laws is very welcome.

My (completely unresearched) theory is that the government is trying to recoup some of the money they've been hemorrhaging by whatever means possible, so stepping up enforcing and collecting traffic fines.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 02:42:20 pm »

Live out in the provinces and a car is necessary.  Even the buses can run weird.  Not everywhere is Seoul.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 03:18:42 pm »
I've noticed a lot more police cars actually patrolling and stopping people, too. More than I've ever seen before. It's good - any baby steps towards actually enforcing traffic laws is very welcome.

My (completely unresearched) theory is that the government is trying to recoup some of the money they've been hemorrhaging by whatever means possible, so stepping up enforcing and collecting traffic fines.
weird they wouldn't do this all of the time though

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 05:42:34 pm »
weird they wouldn't do this all of the time though

The Korean government wouldn't be the first to pull this kind of stunt.

Somewhat related note, I got slapped with a 100k fine a few months ago by immigration. My passport had expired and I'd just got a new one last year. Apparently, you're supposed to notify immigration that you've renewed your passport. This just makes zero sense to me. I get notifying them if you've changed your marital status, address or workplace, but having to drive all the way to immigration, dealing with those passive-aggressive assholes and filing out a form to notify them that you've renewed your passport? Why?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 06:04:48 pm »
I mean why wouldn't they be strict with speeding all of the time. Safer roads, more money for the Govt

And I guess it's because passport numbers change every renewal

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 06:44:40 pm »
My guess is to meet budget requirements.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 06:59:05 pm »
The Korean government wouldn't be the first to pull this kind of stunt.

Somewhat related note, I got slapped with a 100k fine a few months ago by immigration. My passport had expired and I'd just got a new one last year. Apparently, you're supposed to notify immigration that you've renewed your passport. This just makes zero sense to me. I get notifying them if you've changed your marital status, address or workplace, but having to drive all the way to immigration, dealing with those passive-aggressive assholes and filing out a form to notify them that you've renewed your passport? Why?

If I recall correctly, your passport numbers change when you get a new passport (this might now be the case for all countries?). As your ARC is linked to your passport info, it needs up to date information. My best guess.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2020, 07:17:17 pm »
If I recall correctly, your passport numbers change when you get a new passport (this might now be the case for all countries?). As your ARC is linked to your passport info, it needs up to date information. My best guess.

Passport number does change, but your ARC uses your DOB as the first few digits. My ARC number hasn't changed since coming to Korea.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 07:20:22 pm »
Passport number does change, but your ARC uses your DOB as the first few digits. My ARC number hasn't changed since coming to Korea.

They use your passport when you enter. The fast lane kiosks just use your passport, not your ARC, but the data is linked.