Read 1450 times

I don't ask for more because I don't want more but I've been right next to teachers who also don't ask for more but just get more......I've also heard them discuss it in Korean and just never corrected it because I don't necessarily want more food......the manager tells them to give me less so let's say I get 1 piece of fish...other teachers get 3......

I'm ok with it, but the reason is annoying.

I've been told, by Korean teachers, that by refusing a large serving from the lunch lady, you're insulting her cooking. I've also been told that they don't worry about 'wasting' food as all the uneaten food is used as fertilizer and pig feed.

The whole talking about you, while ignoring you drives me up the wall. I can't stand how they'll huddle in a little group, discussing and theorizing why you need to do things a certain way instead of simply asking you, like a normal human being.

I go into the staff room and get offered a sandwich. I politely decline and to avoid further misunderstanding, I explain that because of my beliefs, I do not eat anything offered to me which has any traces of animal product (animal has to be slaughtered in a particular way). Know-it-all teacher takes this as his cue to explain to all the other teachers, complete A-grade BS that I can eat any meat, except pork and that I thought they were offering pork. They ignore my presence and keep sharing theories about me and making up more BS. Satisfied that he's made a complete fool of himself, I inform him that he's been talking complete malarkey and that  my dietary restrictions aren't limited to pork. Not long after, I'm asked to join the teachers for lunch in the cafeteria is they're serving chicken, which, according to the teacher who spouts BS, I should be fine with eating.

I've been told, by Korean teachers, that by refusing a large serving from the lunch lady, you're insulting her cooking. I've also been told that they don't worry about 'wasting' food as all the uneaten food is used as fertilizer and pig feed.

The whole talking about you, while ignoring you drives me up the wall. I can't stand how they'll huddle in a little group, discussing and theorizing why you need to do things a certain way instead of simply asking you, like a normal human being.

I go into the staff room and get offered a sandwich. I politely decline and to avoid further misunderstanding, I explain that because of my beliefs, I do not eat anything offered to me which has any traces of animal product (animal has to be slaughtered in a particular way). Know-it-all teacher takes this as his cue to explain to all the other teachers, complete A-grade BS that I can eat any meat, except pork and that I thought they were offering pork. They ignore my presence and keep sharing theories about me and making up more BS. Satisfied that he's made a complete fool of himself, I inform him that he's been talking complete malarkey and that  my dietary restrictions aren't limited to pork. Not long after, I'm asked to join the teachers for lunch in the cafeteria is they're serving chicken, which, according to the teacher who spouts BS, I should be fine with eating.

Yeah, it's wonderful when people (not just in Korea) need to feel smart in front of others and attempt to inform people about things they really don't know much about.....I know just a little about certain cultures/religions/health dietary restrictions but not enough to educate anyone on it....and even if I did know more about it, each person still does things a bit differently from the next in many cases.....

I am not a vegetarian, but I don't really like meat (it's a taste and texture thing)....I will eat it but it's definitely not my thing and sometimes will just choose not to eat it but others cannot understand it......"You don't like hamburgers. Are you really American?" but in Korean the one thing I really refuse to eat is octopus as I mentioned in an earlier post.....I'll eat the meat to not waste food but most of the time do not enjoy it.

Right???

Kayakee, I'm not saying you're stupid, or putting you down, but I will say this, how does anyone go 4 months without getting paid??? My school doesn't pay me by 1PM on payday  and I'm down in the Haengjeong-sil popping my head in with a big smile and asking if everything's okay.

At my last school, the 400 000W went in with my paycheque. I had the housing contract, it was all in my name.

Yeah, they pay me early if not, I am swinging on by. Now my dude pays me a week early. Housing for me comes all together as one payment.

WTF

For real! Maybe he wanted the other two! Actually, Every where that I've worked, which are just two places for really long times, we've always served ourselves, and had food counters set up separately from the students. You could also get seconds if you wanted, but most people wouldn't. I always liked that because I could make a massive bibimbap with a lot of vegetables and just a little rice.  I opted out of the school lunch as of last semester to diet. The food was too good, and I would eat much more than I should have.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
For real! Maybe he wanted the other two! Actually, Every where that I've worked, which are just two places for really long times, we've always served ourselves, and had food counters set up separately from the students. You could also get seconds if you wanted, but most people wouldn't. I always liked that because I could make a massive bibimbap with a lot of vegetables and just a little rice.  I opted out of the school lunch as of last semester to diet. The food was too good, and I would eat much more than I should have.

Hell yeah. At my last 3 schools, the non-homeroomers had our own cafeteria with self serve. Bring on those veggies!!
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Hell yeah. At my last 3 schools, the non-homeroomers had our own cafeteria with self serve. Bring on those veggies!!

My last three schools were all public schools and we never had a cafeteria.  Students ate in their rooms and I would go check out the spread in the teacher's lunch room.  I would usually get there a bit late to avoid the fact that even into my second year the same teachers would check out what I did and didn't take and always comment on it. Drove me nuts.  Current school has a cafeteria and after enduring the crowds and small seats I opted out after a few months and have never stepped foot in that room since. 

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Okay well we got it all sorted out.  My  housing stipend used to come separately until this past March.  They changed the format on me in April.  They combined it with my salary and that's why I got confused because I was used to seeing a separate deposit for housing.

Of my total income,  15% of it is being deducted in total (which includes income tax, health ins., pension, lunch fee, etc) which sounds about right.   

I'm actually quite surprised lunch fee has gone up a lot.  At my school we are paying around 110,000 won a month.  I didn't really pay attention to the rise in cost because only a few years ago at my previous school lunch fee was always in the area of 60-80,000  a month.   The food hasn't changed at all.  Not sure why it's so much more expensive.

Also, my monthly salary is never the same each month for some strange reason. It fluctuates up to 100,000 more some months and less others but the number is never consistent.  I was told that was due to lunch fees.

Why can't we just get paid the exact same amount every month?  It's so confusing when you see 85,320 less this month or 96,300 won more the previous month.

Anyways, all is good and everything is correct as it should be.  No errors made.

Ahhh....I had completely forgotten about the lunch fee. I very rarely ate lunch in the cafeteria because I like food and what they offered just didn't qualify.

My co-teacher asked me if I wanted to have the lunch stipend left on my paycheck. I said no, it's okay, it isn't much and it would just cause hassles and bitterness. Keep taking it off and I'll keep bringing in sandwiches and sitting at my desk in the teacher's lounge in peace and quiet for a little while. They liked that.