Read 1072 times

• kayakee
  • Waygookin

• November 29, 2015, 10:55:03 pm
    • Korea
I haven't received my housing allowance for april, may, june, and july.
I'm with a public school epik/gepik contract.

I'll have to talk to my school admin about this on Monday.   Any else have this issue?

Should've contacted your MOE immediately.

Somebody at the MOE probably forget to add your name to a spreadsheet of NETs to receive housing allowance or something. It's public school, so you should get your money ASAP, no need to worry about anyone scamming you.

I'll have to talk to my school admin about this on Monday.   Any else have this issue?
They pay you housing directly? Usually the schools pay the landlord directly.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville

Somebody at the MOE probably forget to add your name to a spreadsheet of NETs to receive housing allowance or something. It's public school, so you should get your money ASAP, no need to worry about anyone scamming you.

...unless the principle is pocketing that money (happened to me).

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang

Right???

Kayakee, I'm not saying you're stupid, or putting you down, but I will say this, how does anyone go 4 months without getting paid??? My school doesn't pay me by 1PM on payday  and I'm down in the Haengjeong-sil popping my head in with a big smile and asking if everything's okay.

At my last school, the 400 000W went in with my paycheque. I had the housing contract, it was all in my name.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:51:59 am by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Never let any issue linger for 4 months, especially about money owed from public school. I've been shorted money and waited to ask about it too long as it was past the fiscal year. Luckily it wasn't too much like 150,000 or something.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang

Are you confusing housing allowance with housing provided by the school?  I have never heard of anyone at a public school who had their own housing have the school send the rent to the landlord. 

Are you confusing housing allowance with housing provided by the school?  I have never heard of anyone at a public school who had their own housing have the school send the rent to the landlord. 
Ah, right. My bad!

• kayakee
  • Waygookin

• Korea
Nope.  You can choose between having the housing allowance paid to you separately or have the school provide you housing.
I've always had my own housing so I always get the housing allowance paid to me separately.  It's called stipened housing.

It's also not included in the salary.  Housing allowance always comes about 5-7 days after the pay date separately.
Even if it was included in my salary, the amount doesn't add up then because I'm still short a few hundred dollars per month then.

I'm not worried because it is a public school and I have a contract so they'll fix the error and get me my owed money back.  I'll keep you updated
on the situation for anyone in the future who might be asking the same kind of question. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:23:32 am by kayakee »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
Ask for a monthly pay stub -  월급명세서 (pay stub; wages, with holdings etc.)

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Nope.  You can choose between having the housing allowance paid to you separately or have the school provide you housing.
I've always had my own housing so I always get the housing allowance paid to me separately.  It's called stipened housing.

It's also not included in the salary.  Housing allowance always comes about 5-7 days after the pay date separately.
Even if it was included in my salary, the amount doesn't add up then because I'm still short a few hundred dollars per month then.

I'm not worried because it is a public school and I have a contract so they'll fix the error and get me my owed money back.  I'll keep you updated
on the situation for anyone in the future who might be asking the same kind of question. 

Everywhere is different I guess.  My housing stipend is a separate deposit but is always put in on the same day as my salary.  I would certainly notice it if it wasn't deposited. 

I had a similar issue at the end of last year but my school's admin office warned me about it so it wasn't a shock, and they paid it all eventually.

• kayakee
  • Waygookin

• Korea
Okay well we got it all sorted out.  My  housing stipend used to come separately until this past March.  They changed the format on me in April.  They combined it with my salary and that's why I got confused because I was used to seeing a separate deposit for housing.

Of my total income,  15% of it is being deducted in total (which includes income tax, health ins., pension, lunch fee, etc) which sounds about right.   

I'm actually quite surprised lunch fee has gone up a lot.  At my school we are paying around 110,000 won a month.  I didn't really pay attention to the rise in cost because only a few years ago at my previous school lunch fee was always in the area of 60-80,000  a month.   The food hasn't changed at all.  Not sure why it's so much more expensive.

Also, my monthly salary is never the same each month for some strange reason. It fluctuates up to 100,000 more some months and less others but the number is never consistent.  I was told that was due to lunch fees.

Why can't we just get paid the exact same amount every month?  It's so confusing when you see 85,320 less this month or 96,300 won more the previous month.

Anyways, all is good and everything is correct as it should be.  No errors made.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Okay well we got it all sorted out.  My  housing stipend used to come separately until this past March.  They changed the format on me in April.  They combined it with my salary and that's why I got confused because I was used to seeing a separate deposit for housing.

Of my total income,  15% of it is being deducted in total (which includes income tax, health ins., pension, lunch fee, etc) which sounds about right.   

I'm actually quite surprised lunch fee has gone up a lot.  At my school we are paying around 110,000 won a month.  I didn't really pay attention to the rise in cost because only a few years ago at my previous school lunch fee was always in the area of 60-80,000  a month.   The food hasn't changed at all.  Not sure why it's so much more expensive.

Also, my monthly salary is never the same each month for some strange reason. It fluctuates up to 100,000 more some months and less others but the number is never consistent.  I was told that was due to lunch fees.

Why can't we just get paid the exact same amount every month?  It's so confusing when you see 85,320 less this month or 96,300 won more the previous month.

Anyways, all is good and everything is correct as it should be.  No errors made.

That's an expensive lunch fee.  I remember when school lunches were free.  First year I had to pay about 9 or 10 years ago, I paid about 55,000 a month.  Nowadays, I am in the 85,000 k range.  Maybe your food is really good, better ingredients.  (But the minimum wage did go up a lot the past 2 or 3 years pushing lots of costs up.  I am not sure the salaries of the cafeteria ladies or even those who work in different food production along the way.  It is time for all of us to get a small raise and I am probably making better than most. 

That's an expensive lunch fee.  I remember when school lunches were free.  First year I had to pay about 9 or 10 years ago, I paid about 55,000 a month.  Nowadays, I am in the 85,000 k range.  Maybe your food is really good, better ingredients.  (But the minimum wage did go up a lot the past 2 or 3 years pushing lots of costs up.  I am not sure the salaries of the cafeteria ladies or even those who work in different food production along the way.  It is time for all of us to get a small raise and I am probably making better than most. 

I don't remember what my regular school lunch costs, but we had to have lunch boxes for a month due to corona/construction and those cost 5,000 won each x 20 days...so that's even less than 110,000 won and we got a bottle of water each with the lunchboxes...delive red hot straight to our desks..

Also, our regular school lunches wouldn't be worth 5,000 each....and I get less food than the other teachers because foreigner....althou gh I don't mind that because I would rather finish all my food than waste it like many of the teachers do......like I've been at my school for 2 years and eat most of the food well (exception would be like octopus dishes) and they still think I can't handle Korean food......I can handle the spicy dishes better than many of the other teachers too

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
Also, our regular school lunches wouldn't be worth 5,000 each....and I get less food than the other teachers because foreigner....although I don't mind that because I would rather finish all my food than waste it like many of the teachers do......like I've been at my school for 2 years and eat most of the food well (exception would be like octopus dishes) and they still think I can't handle Korean food......I can handle the spicy dishes better than many of the other teachers too

Or perhaps you get less food because you don't ask for more?? Their stereotypes persist if we allow them to go unchecked.

I don't ask for more because I don't want more but I've been right next to teachers who also don't ask for more but just get more......I've also heard them discuss it in Korean and just never corrected it because I don't necessarily want more food......the manager tells them to give me less so let's say I get 1 piece of fish...other teachers get 3......

I'm ok with it, but the reason is annoying.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
I don't ask for more because I don't want more but I've been right next to teachers who also don't ask for more but just get more......I've also heard them discuss it in Korean and just never corrected it because I don't necessarily want more food......the manager tells them to give me less so let's say I get 1 piece of fish...other teachers get 3......

I'm ok with it, but the reason is annoying.

WTF
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

WTF

I dunno maybe that day they thought I was a student......lol anyway whatever