Read 493 times

Rent-a-Car?
« on: July 16, 2020, 12:16:52 pm »
Anyone with experience renting a car here? Any reason to go with the small local joints as opposed to a big chain? I rented a car several years ago but remember being rejected by a local shop because their insurance wouldnít cover foreign drivers or something, despite having an IDP.

Re: Rent-a-Car?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 12:50:22 pm »
The only reason I could think of to go with the small shops could be price or location.

I have a small shop very near my place and so rented from them when I needed to rent a car.  This saved me having to get the car delivered or go get it. It was a little cheaper than I saw online (marginally) and they had no issue renting to me.  I do have a local licence however.

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:01:49 pm »
I rent cars occasionally, and I always go with the big companies. I don't speak or read Korean well enough to be confident the smaller companies are covered well. Though, probably more expensive, I feel more confident with the larger companies. In the states, I did have a massive problem with a rental car getting completely smashed from one end to the other while it was parked, and if it wasn't for the insurance, I'd have been out of $3000.00 even though I wasn't at fault. The person who hit my car didn't have any insurance.....and, it was her second accident in a week.....

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:02:59 pm »
I used to rent cars years ago from a small local place, but like bigfishlittlefish, I have a Korean licence.  Which I think makes it much easier especially if there is a language barrier while you explain that you're not really interested in stealing a K5 from them.  I expect the bigger chains like Lotte would be more adept with renting to peeps with an international licence. 

The guy I used to go to rent cars from was the father of one of my high school students.  Only did I find a couple of years ago, when I tried to renew my Korean international licence to drive in Europe, that I had a speeding fine 10 years that he didn't inform me of and they said they couldn't issue me with my international licence until I paid it.  Weird that when I got an international licence the previous year, they didn't mention about my speeding fine at that time. 

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 02:03:40 pm »
Yeah, mostly just wondering if theyíre any cheaper and worth the hassle. Sounds like not. Thanks all~

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 02:05:52 pm »
Depends what you're looking for. Knowing you Donnervan, it'll be a 벤츠, right?  I used to be able to hire a K5/Tosca for about 50 000 won a day.  I rented a Grandeur once for 80 000 won for the day. 

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 02:21:09 pm »
Seems to be about the going rate. I was quoted 214k for 3 days at SK... for the Benz Iím planning to rent, of course. (Jaguarís in the shop)   :wink:

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 02:37:52 pm »
I have a Korean license, and have rented from mostly big chains mostly Lotte. But I have rented from small local shops before. I think having a Korean DL makes a world of difference. Was mostly pain free to rent the car, show your DL, and sometimes passport, and fill out some papers an within like 20 minutes you're in your cars driving away.

Always get insurance. I usually get the max insurance, since you never know. One time there was some chip in the windshield caused by some tiny pebble, and I had to pay like 50k-won for the insurance deductible (didn't get the max insurance). Koreans are sure fussy about rock chips here... Another time I forgot about the dang pillar in a parking lot, and the side-view mirror was ripped off. Paid nothing for that since I got the max insurance (was my first time renting a car in Korea so I complete forgot about that pillar).

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 02:56:28 pm »
Always get insurance.

Thatís like another Shin Saimdang  :rolleyes: I might just have to settle for a Spark this time around...

And Iím pretty sure it was Lotte who I ended up renting from before. Iím not sure if the Korean license makes that much of a difference; I remember it being fairly easy with an IDP as well.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 07:55:21 am »
That’s like another Shin Saimdang

In my neighborhood we call that bill a 여자 . 
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 08:11:36 am »
I rented a car on Jeju in July of 2006 for a weekend. It was so bloody easy I don't recall the details other than I gave them my  passport (to copy? to hold? I don't recall).

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 12:59:42 pm »
The only trouble I had with renting a car was when I first arrived.

I didnít have a IDP (my Canadian license in English and French worked everywhere else!), so I had to get a Korean license.  When I went back, I was told I didnít have enough experience, since Iíd oly had my license for 1 day!

Lesson: make a copy of the license you trade in!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »
It took me about 9 minutes (i swear it wasn't a second over 10 minutes) to hand in my Canadian driver's license, get a photo taken and suddenly receive a laminated Korean driver's license. That was in 2004 or 2005. It was in a town I can't recall the name of, somewhere between Geoje (where i was teaching) and Masan (a city on the southeast coast - the WORST place to visit in the province imo, though that's another story!).

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 01:10:48 pm »
In a kind of related and totally not worth starting a new thread vein.  Has anyone rented a van or one of those Bongo trucks here?  I know it's cheap enough and easy enough to get one with driver as I've done that previously, but I would prefer not to.  If anybody has experience I will keep attempting to find something, but so far my searches are turning up nothing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 01:23:50 pm by bigfishlittlefish »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 01:14:31 pm »
I paid a bongo driver to deliver a FULL truck load from Hadong to Tongyeong in the spring of 2009 for the great price of 300,000 won. I was thoroughly satisfied!

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 01:26:02 pm »
I paid a bongo driver to deliver a FULL truck load from Hadong to Tongyeong in the spring of 2009 for the great price of 300,000 won. I was thoroughly satisfied!

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I am well aware I can hire a truck with driver cheaply and easily enough.  I have done this previously.

I would like to self drive and rent a truck for a day.  Does anybody have experience with renting a self drive truck?

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 03:37:56 pm »
The only trouble I had with renting a car was when I first arrived.

I didnít have a IDP (my Canadian license in English and French worked everywhere else!), so I had to get a Korean license.  When I went back, I was told I didnít have enough experience, since Iíd oly had my license for 1 day!

Lesson: make a copy of the license you trade in!

I was also told this because the experience needed was like 1 year.

I traded in my US license, although you do need an apostile, and had to give up my copy of my us license. However, when I left for vacation back to the us, I went back to the driver's license office and asked for it back....they gave it back no problem and now I have both my Korean one and my US one. I ordered a replacement license for my family to keep, in case of the unlikely event they would need the info.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »
In a kind of related and totally not worth starting a new thread vein.  Has anyone rented a van or one of those Bongo trucks here?  I know it's cheap enough and easy enough to get one with driver as I've done that previously, but I would prefer not to.  If anybody has experience I will keep attempting to find something, but so far my searches are turning up nothing.

I looked, but couldnít, so I rented a Carnival and moved the seats all the way forward.