Read 456 times

• CookieCat
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2014, 09:55:37 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
EPIK Spring 2020 Contract Start and End Dates
« on: July 15, 2020, 12:17:06 pm »
I'm currently teaching near Busan with GOE, and I am going to renew for 6 months and finish in the Spring (2021). Previously, I wanted to switch to EPIK, but I was told it was impossible because my contract would finish a few dates after the EPIK start dates (they also told me using vacation days wouldn't work).

Anyway, I want to know the EPIK spring contract start and end dates so I can see if I might be able to transfer to EPIK this future Spring If the dates don't line up again, maybe I can negotiate a different end date before I sign this 6 month contract. If you also know when your orientation was, that would be great.

Also, I'm curious if the SMOE/Seoul-EPIK dates are any different.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
Re: EPIK Spring 2020 Contract Start and End Dates
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »
SMOE spring start date is March 1st, according to my contract. No idea about orientation.

• buckybee
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Gunsan
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 12:26:44 pm »
I think you should apply and when you are accepted for an interview, explain your situation and ask if you can be considered for late intake which can start a month to three months after regular intake.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 12:38:36 pm »
I am on an EPIK spring start contract.  The current contract will end on February 25th.  The new contract (assuming renewal) will start on February 26th. 

There are other start dates but those are the standard ones I think (as least they were when I was in Jeolllanamdo and now in Daejeon - I think most other places are the same but not sure about Seoul).

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 01:14:06 pm »
I am on an EPIK spring start contract.  The current contract will end on February 25th.  The new contract (assuming renewal) will start on February 26th. 

These are the dates for the current Daegu contract as well. My orientation (2019) was Feb 20- Feb 27.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 12:10:01 pm »
There are jobs hiring year round though mostly on semester start dates.  Officially, EPIK starts Aug 25th and Feb 25th, but SMOE starts on March1st or September 1st someone was saying?  I thought about applying to SMOE a long time ago, but saw there is no renewal bonus and the pay kind of sucks.  First year level is still 1.8 mil?  (I know first level isn't actually hired anymore, but still, that's pathetic.  My place starts at 2.1 million but will only hire second level at 2.2 million.)  Also, I think even with experience, you are in the low 2.0's.  Rent in Seoul is expensive and you only get 500k rent allowance versus 400K in cheaper parts of the country.  So even after a few years, you're still in the low to mid 2.0's salary.  No multiple school allowances, extra teaching (much), etc.  Plus they are anal on a lot of rules all for less money.  Seems pretty arrogant to me.  Screw them. 

Anyways, to each their own.  If you want to go for less, you can finish on the 25th and start a few days later on the 1st.  Also, some contract begin or finish part way into the semester, though those numbers are quite small.