Read 4030 times

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
Re: It's a caracal!
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2020, 12:17:50 pm »
Bad handwriting can seriously affect a candidate's score in a written exam such as IELTS. As an IELTS examiner I've given scripts a lower score because I can't read half of the words but every time I tell students they have bad handwriting they think it's funny.  Never really got that, I'm sure they wouldn't react the same way if I said their grammar was poor.

« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2020, 01:38:26 pm »
I distinctly remember having problems holding my writing instruments and this was identified by my teacher in grade 2, and this was considered late as I should've had it sorted by grade 1, like most of my classmates. My teacher attached one of those things to your pencil, which forces you to hold it properly and in a few weeks (with my teacher regularly checking that I didn't remove it), it worked. The class was larger than most Korean elementary school classes.

... no excuse to be holding your pencil like a tennis racquet by the 6th grade, Dmart.

I've never had the prettiest handwriting either, but at least it's legible. I always feel impatient that my pen isn't able to keep up with my thoughts.

...no excuse to writelikethisafter3 yrsofEnglishinstruc tion, Dmart.

Nobody is blaming the children, you're straw-manning again, we're blaming the education system. Kids WILL take the path of least resistance, duh. It's a terrible education system and a rushed curriculum that is to blame. If a kidisstillwritingli kethis then it's either:

A - Previous teachers failed to identify and/or correct the problem
B - The curriculum leaves little time for laying down a proper foundation before moving on i.e. "rushed"

Calling the Korean education system a complete mess isn't an insult to Koreans in the same way calling the South African education system a mess isn't an insult to South Africans. Call the spade a spade, everyone here deals with this on a daily basis; if an ESL teacher makes an observation and criticizes what they say everyday, you need to remember that they are, in fact, probably seeing this everyday. What? Are you going to deny that we all see 6th graders holding pencils like cavemen?

Keep in mind that everyone here has lived in Korea for years, just like you, and is working with these children, just like you.

« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2020, 08:40:26 am »
I seriously think some people here are unaware of what childhood is like and have incredibly poor conceptions of childhood. Their brains have become so logical/organized/adult that they really can't empathize with kids and grasp their world. That doesn't mean they can't be outstanding teachers, but it DOES mean that they do tend to have a blindspot when it comes to things like this and childhood behavior.

If you'd told your 'ddongchim' story and the kid's reaction, and someone had replied with this suggesting you were in the wrong and you should understand kids better, you would have gone nuts.

Just saying.

« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2020, 09:08:50 am »
If you'd told your 'ddongchim' story and the kid's reaction, and someone had replied with this suggesting you were in the wrong and you should understand kids better, you would have gone nuts.

Just saying.

Hold up, hold up. Martin got hit with a ddongchim??

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2020, 09:43:27 am »
Hold up, hold up. Martin got hit with a ddongchim??

No!!! Don't open up that Jumanji again. 

« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2020, 10:42:50 am »

Just saying.
No. The whole incident left me with doubt about how things went down. When a kid is screaming in mortal terror, if you aren't questioning what you did, something is wrong with you. Someone telling me I handled it wrong wouldn't get the same reaction as saying I made it up.

« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2020, 03:20:11 pm »
Caracals on EBS1 right now! (스라소니). Even got a glimpse of those chipmunk pigs...