Read 4031 times

It's a caracal!
« on: July 13, 2020, 06:40:19 pm »
I like to show short 1-2min videos before class or as a reward at the end of the lesson.

I showed a video of a caracal jumping to catch a bird.

The students were amazed and said things like:

Students - "It's a cheetah" "Is it a lion?"

Me - "No, it's a caracal"

Students - "Cheetah?"

Me - "It's not a cheetah, it's a caracal."

Students -".... oh, hyena"

Me - ".... it's a caracal! <pointing to the title of the YT video> C-A-R-A-C-A-L....CA-RA-CAL... caracal!"

(some students have got it, but some particularly dim-witted boys seem to think I'm just pronouncing the word 'cheetah' with some kind of accent.)

Boys - "Teacher? cheetah?"

Me - If it was a cheetah, I would've said "cheetah". It's a caracal, so I'm saying "caracal". (I said this more to ease my own frustration, not in any hope they'd understand).

Yes, I know some of you will see these kids were simply trying to take me for a mickey, I've encountered that before and it's always by students intelligent and witty enough to setup a practical joke, these kids are way too dense to do that. I've encountered this kind of thought process before and it's one of the biggest differences I notice between smart kids and dumb kids.

Smart kids tend to get excited when presented with new information, they might not always remember it, but they seem to have no problem categorizing what they've seen as new information. 
On the other hand, slower students tend to look for ways to categorize something new as simply a variant of something they already know; it's an ice-cream because they know ice-cream, despite you telling them it's a pudding.

.... I dunno, maybe it's a genuine difference in mental maturity, I mean. Using Korea's stupid age system, you will have kids with a biological 2-3yr age gap in the same class.

Re: It's a caracal!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:05:45 pm »
Korea has four distinct seasons.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 09:52:03 pm »
Half of the students in my high school in the 1980's had no idea of the difference between apes and monkeys!

I have been IMPRESSED more than stunned by the intelligence of Korean students over the last two decades.

That said,...

The litmus test for new students: "Where are you from?"... "I'm from Korea." "OF COURSE you are from Korea. ALL of my students are from Korea. I don't mean: What country?"...

There are three responses to this:

A) "Ah, I am from Daegu." (Okay. I can fly with this guy.)

B) "I am from Korea." (Sigh. I'll put 'em in the front row and help them more than most.)

C) *Stunned look.* No reply. (Gawd they will either not return or i will have to babysit their every written answer. I get paid to teach these ones.)

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 09:52:58 pm »
Most of them have never heard of a caracal. They think the feline world is limited to lions, cheetahs and tigers, period.

Most Americans and Canadian esl teachers have likely never heard of a caracal either.
Catch my drift?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:53 pm »
Please.

I am Canadian.

Caracal?

OF COURSE I have heard of it because we have the LYNX and BOBCAT. Have YOU heard of them???

This is silliness.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 10:31:02 pm »
It doesn't matter if they've heard of a caracal. When the teacher says "NO IT'S NOT A CHEETAH. IT'S A CAEACAL" then the students should go "Ah, maybe this is something new."

If I see a Ferrari for the first time and call it a Ford, and I'm corrected, I don't keep on insisting it's a Ford.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 11:38:56 pm »
It doesn't matter if they've heard of a caracal. When the teacher says "NO IT'S NOT A CHEETAH. IT'S A CAEACAL" then the students should go "Ah, maybe this is something new."

If I see a Ferrari for the first time and call it a Ford, and I'm corrected, I don't keep on insisting it's a Ford.

I know somebody who, seeing a modern Jaguar (car) for the first time asked, Is that a Buick?

She calls them Buicks now for s&gs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:46:15 pm by JNM »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 06:06:18 am »
Your premise is flawed. Get a korean person to tell them its a caracal, then they will believe it. Foreigners are known liars.

And yes Ive heard of a caracal.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 06:34:18 am »
Never heard of a caracal. The other day a student doing a mock IELTS speaking test started talking about an alpaca (she had to talk about an animal she'd seen) and I hadn't heard of that either.  In that case I thought she'd made a mistake, but I, the foreigner was in the wrong. It can happen.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 07:28:43 am »
I've had a couple of classes that were interested to learn the differences between "alligator" and "crocodile" (both of which appear to be 악어 in Korean). I had a picture of an alligator on a slide, and corrected a student who called it a crocodile. They asked the difference (I had to look it up), and seemed genuinely interested in the answer, along with a couple other students. I think it does hinge on the student and their interest in English / the topic at hand.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 07:29:45 am »
Never heard of a caracal. The other day a student doing a mock IELTS speaking test started talking about an alpaca (she had to talk about an animal she'd seen) and I hadn't heard of that either.  In that case I thought she'd made a mistake, but I, the foreigner was in the wrong. It can happen.
That's just embarrassing (for you)

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 07:39:02 am »
Using Korea's stupid age system, you will have kids with a biological 2-3yr age gap in the same class.

How is this due to Korea's age system?

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 07:40:17 am »
I've had a couple of classes that were interested to learn the differences between "alligator" and "crocodile" (both of which appear to be 악어 in Korean).

I had a similar thing for some groups with tortoise and turtle, which would both be 거북, and easier if you add 바다; before for the turtle.  Then again, it's not a tortoise ship, it's a turtle ship 거북선.   

I'd never heard of a caracal either.  Googled it, what a beautiful animal.    :-*

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 07:43:20 am »
I had a similar thing for some groups with tortoise and turtle, which would both be 거북, and easier if you add 바다; before for the turtle.  Then again, it's not a tortoise ship, it's a turtle ship 거북선.   

I'd never heard of a caracal either.  Googled it, what a beautiful animal.    :-*

Put me in the "never heard of it" camp, too. I agree, a beautiful looking animal. Reminds me of a cheetah.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 07:48:53 am »
That's just embarrassing (for you)

Yes, but I managed to compensate for  my deep sense of Llama species ignorance shame by lambasting her poor use of articles.

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 08:00:14 am »
...my deep sense of Llama species ignorance shame .

It's alright, it's hardly llamageddon....

Eh?

* crickets *

Alpaca my bags....l

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 08:00:51 am »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 08:12:51 am »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 08:42:39 am »
Tina: I'm not eating anything if you talk to me like that
Owner: Oh don't be such a Llama queen

I'll get my coat.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:10 am »
The other day a student ... started talking about an alpaca... and I hadn't heard of that either.