Read 3474 times

Re: [Survey] How do you feel about being an English teacher in Korea?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 11:47:11 am »
3.1 is too low. 12 hours or not.

Yes I supplement my income with private lessons and make a living wage.

I do not think 3.1 when I'm 60 years old or whatever in the future would be enough to comfortable retire off of.
There is chance for me to make more money at my current job. I would call that a dead end.

Even rats in a maze when faced with a dead end don't just stop and give up they U-turn and try to find another route to that cheese.
I'm just trying to find another route to that cheese, I don't want to be trapped at 3.1, 5, 10 15 years later.

I'm not trying to upset you guys who think I have it better or whatever, I'm just stating a fact I want to move forward not be stuck at this point forever.

Private lessons and stuck at 3.1 for eternity does not excite me, but thanks for the suggestions.

T.C.

Carpe Diem!

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2020, 12:40:23 pm »
I'm not trying to upset you guys

Don't worry about me, I made enough to retire on a while ago. I'd be reducing hours now if it wasn't for my kid. As it is I'll stay working half the day and enjoying my job for a while longer. I wasn't making any suggestions either, just pointing out that 5 mil is pretty easy to achieve on an F visa and is way above the average wage here. Best of luck in your change of career.

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2020, 12:44:27 pm »

It's time for me to move out of teaching the writing is on the wall for me.

I don't know my future, but I feel like teaching is not my future! I feel like I've reached a near dead end in teaching with only lateral movements ahead of me.

T.C.

Thanks for sharing. This, right here, hits one of the problems with the profession of ELT: Committed teachers hitting a dead-end and moving on. When this happens, knowledge and experience are lost.

I hope you did our survey, though :P 8)

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 01:03:21 pm »
Isn't that true of all teachers who don't want to go into management?

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 01:19:31 pm »
Korean teacherís get yearly raises and bonus increases. At a certain point native teachers just plateau.

I was offered head teacher position at my job a few years ago. When I asked about the pay they said 300k a month. I felt like the extra work was not worth $300.

I suppose someday I could become a vice principal at an international school or something but Iím still in my 30ís I dont exactly look the part in this ageist society. ;)

T.C.

P.S. I answered your survey!

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 01:44:08 pm »
I am 60+ and enjoying my retirement teaching here. I was an elementary teacher in the states and decided to come here and enjoy not having to deal with parents, testing, grading, administrative duties,  parents, ...... I have my retirement back home working for me until I decide to return and start using it. In the meantime, I continue to save and enjoy my modest life here. It's a nice life. FYI, I do teach in a public school in Seoul.

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 03:15:13 pm »
I am 60+ and enjoying my retirement teaching here. I was an elementary teacher in the states and decided to come here and enjoy not having to deal with parents, testing, grading, administrative duties,  parents, ...... I have my retirement back home working for me until I decide to return and start using it. In the meantime, I continue to save and enjoy my modest life here. It's a nice life. FYI, I do teach in a public school in Seoul.

Hmmm. I have a question for you, Nokcha. Do you feel like your pedagogical knowledge as a teacher transfers well to teaching English in Korea? For instance, does all your experience give you the tools to manage classes effectively, or is discipline and behaviour a challenge even for an experienced teacher like yourself?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 05:19:37 pm by ian_moodie »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 08:08:43 am »
3.1 is too low. 12 hours or not.

is it that bad? it amounts to about 65k per hour. seems to be about what i'm making per hour- and i think my job pays pretty well. plus i bet you get loads of paid holidays...which i don't. i mean, if you taught an extra two hours a day, that would be over 5m a month. and you'd still only be working 5 hours a day then

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 08:32:34 am »
Hmmm. I have a question for you, Nokcha. Do you feel like your pedagogical knowledge as a teacher transfers well to teaching English in Korea? For instance, does all your experience give you the tools to manage classes effectively, or is discipline and behaviour a challenge even for an experienced teacher like yourself?

I've learned to teach English while I've been here, and I do think my background certainly gave me a leg up. As for classroom management, absolutely. 

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 08:35:32 am »
is it that bad? it amounts to about 65k per hour. seems to be about what i'm making per hour- and i think my job pays pretty well. plus i bet you get loads of paid holidays...which i don't. i mean, if you taught an extra two hours a day, that would be over 5m a month. and you'd still only be working 5 hours a day then

I was going to say something similar, TC, can't you do some extra work at the Uni or on the side to top up AND keep your comfy Uni position?
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2020, 10:32:03 am »
Let me ask you a question.

Is 60,000,000 won a lot of money to you now?

How about in your 40s?
50s?
60s?

Personally, I want more for myself.
I make enough to live comfortably here.
I have a house, I have a car, but I just want better stuff.

I want the finer things in life. I don't want to struggle or think about money when Iím retired.

With ESL Iím not even sure I will have a job year to year. Its unstable and lowly paid. I guess my priorities are stability and pay, I donít feel like Korea is delivering that to me.

T.C.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2020, 12:02:38 pm »

How about in your 40s?
50s?
60s?

I want the finer things in life. I don't want to struggle or think about money when Iím retired.

With ESL Iím not even sure I will have a job year to year. Its unstable and lowly paid. I guess my priorities are stability and pay, I donít feel like Korea is delivering that to me.

T.C.

Yes.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

That's cool brother, you get your cheese. Dream bigger.

Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2020, 12:25:13 pm »
Yeah.. I'm with Colburnnn here

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2020, 02:50:25 pm »
Kudos to TC for knowing what he wants and working hard to get it. And kudos to folks who are happy with where they are and what they are doing. There's no right or wrong, no need to pick sides.

I filled the survey in too, nice to reflect on my job here now and then :) I think teaching English in Korea is an enjoyable and (relatively) stress-free way to earn a living. You get the benefits of being a teacher (the actual teaching part, holidays etc.) without many of the negatives (parents, marking exams etc). That said, there are some downsides (which I think you can mitigate depending on your level of professionalism, personality, Korean level etc.) that don't make it very promising as a long-term career, to me at least. The lack of progression (promotions, pay rises), the lack of opportunity for professional development (outside of privately funded MAs and what you can find on the internet) and the general lack of involvement in school life (no say in scheduling, always last to know what's going on etc.)  have slowly been building up as bigger and bigger reasons for me to head to greener pastures. I also don't see much of a future for ESL here with:

a) such low barriers to entry (native speaker + ANY BSc/BA)  mean experienced teachers compete with inexperienced teachers for the same jobs
b) falling birth rate (less kids = less jobs)
c) influence of the internet (online learning apps / websites becoming more prevalent - I know the internet is no substitute for an experienced, qualified and talented tutor, but that's by the by)

I used to think a uni gig would be great (and I still think it would, for another 10 years or so perhaps) but I think you'll have  more and more qualified and experienced people, who have lives and families here, competing for fewer and fewer jobs. PhDs and publishing in journals are going to become the norm to get into unis here. And I'm not an economist but my knowledge of supply vs. demand makes me think that working conditions won't improve in such a situation.

So yes, teaching English in Korea is great, and I don't regret coming here for one minute, but there are enough clouds on the horizon to make me feel that a plan B might not be such a bad idea.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:30:21 am by Datasapien »
I never finish anyth

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2020, 03:31:00 pm »
Yeah.. I'm with Colburnnn here

A lot of people are going to be dreaming about making 5 mil a month when the upcoming massive global recession hits.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 04:13:22 pm »
A lot of people are going to be dreaming about making 5 mil a month when the upcoming massive global recession hits.
yeah. even though i consider my job fairly stable, i'm still worried about what the future will bring. certainly not taking it for granted

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2020, 04:32:48 am »

How about in your 40s?
50s?
60s?

I want the finer things in life. I don't want to struggle or think about money when I’m retired.

With ESL I’m not even sure I will have a job year to year. Its unstable and lowly paid. I guess my priorities are stability and pay, I don’t feel like Korea is delivering that to me.

T.C.

This is why I decided to leave.

I was on about 50 mil per year by the time I left, but it didn't feel secure...while my side gigs were pretty much on lock, i didn't like the fact that I'd have to worry year after year about securing a new contract for my main job.

That plus the feeling that I needed to progress to something higher in terms of professionalism and the work ladder...im staying in education, but outside of owning my own school/hagwon in Korea there isn't much movement upwards.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:40:25 am by waygo0k »

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2020, 02:51:09 pm »

I filled the survey in too, nice to reflect on my job here now and then :)

Thanks, Datasapien, much appreciated!

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2020, 08:55:52 am »
[Update]

If anyone is curious, here's the kind of thing we're working on.

This study just came out in Language Teaching Research, and it looked at the professional and organizational commitment of the faculty at a private university in Korea.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1362168820938814

Free PDF available at:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/343118012_Commitment_to_the_profession_of_ELT_and_an_organization_A_profile_of_expat_faculty_in_South_Korea

TLDR
While controlling for age and gender, the study showed that expats who were qualified teachers from their home countries tended to have higher levels of affective and normative commitment to the profession of ELT and to their workplace than respondents without teacher qualifications. However, no such differences were found concerning ELT qualification (MA TESOL, TESOL certs, etc.). Nor was there a link between  ELT experience and professional commitment. Because affective-normative dominant profiles are associated with better workplace outcomes, such as effort given to an organization and lower turnover intentions, further consideration of this finding should be of high priority in language teacher commitment research.

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2020, 09:57:52 am »
Thanks for the update.
It is interesting to know what it is about and how it fits together.