Read 4182 times

Re: [Survey] How do you feel about being an English teacher in Korea?
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2020, 08:13:22 pm »
Are your Korean friends amazed that you get 3.1 mil teaching 12 hours a week?  To me that sounds like a part time job which you could easily supplement. How many hours a week do they work? if you worked the same number of hours a week as them, how much would you be on? 
Are your Korean friends amazed that you get 3.1 mil teaching 12 hours a week?  To me that sounds like a part time job which you could easily supplement. How many hours a week do they work? if you worked the same number of hours a week as them, how much would you be on?  On an F visa you could fairly easily get that up to 5 mil and still be working fewer hours than your Korean friends.

"On an F visa you could fairly easily get that up to 5 mil and still be working fewer hours than your Korean friends."

Absolutely. I'm on an F visa work pt 10/wk and do some tutoring on the side. I have a four day work week and clear just slightly shy of 4mil/mth. I sometimes with I wasn't so lazy. Really pick up some privates on fridays(day off). Could easily clear 5mil if I did.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2020, 08:51:43 pm »
To me that sounds like a part time job which you could easily supplement.

University contracts say that should be the only job; outside work is illegal.

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 11:18:01 am »
My university hasn't given a cost of living raise in 7 years. When I ask the director just shrugs and says do work outside just donít tell anyone.

Its a massive joke.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 01:15:11 pm »
Agreed. If universities are going to pay people to teach 12 hours a week without expecting them to do any research work, they should call it a part time job and allow them to do work on the side officially.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2020, 09:03:19 am »
3.1 is too low. 12 hours or not.

Yes I supplement my income with private lessons and make a living wage.

I do not think 3.1 when I'm 60 years old or whatever in the future would be enough to comfortable retire off of.
There is chance for me to make more money at my current job. I would call that a dead end.

Even rats in a maze when faced with a dead end don't just stop and give up they U-turn and try to find another route to that cheese.
I'm just trying to find another route to that cheese, I don't want to be trapped at 3.1, 5, 10 15 years later.

I'm not trying to upset you guys who think I have it better or whatever, I'm just stating a fact I want to move forward not be stuck at this point forever.

Private lessons and stuck at 3.1 for eternity does not excite me, but thanks for the suggestions.

T.C.

Carpe Diem!

don't tell that to the kids defending 2.1 million salaries.  they'll bite your head off claiming how wonderful it is. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2020, 09:08:49 am »
Thanks for sharing. This, right here, hits one of the problems with the profession of ELT: Committed teachers hitting a dead-end and moving on. When this happens, knowledge and experience are lost.

I hope you did our survey, though :P 8)

Korea has been spoiled by years of too many teachers trying to escape the Great Recession and the dismal recovery for several years after.  It was really only 2017 and 2018 that economies back home finally began to feel like recovery.  Covid has thrown a wrench in things.  But, 2021 or 2022, it should be fired up again. 

Employers here finally do have to realize they aren't going to be able to keep experienced teachers due to desperation anymore.  Recoveries back home (depending on how the election goes this fall) and other countries rising as teaching destinations means Korea is no longer the only gig in town.  Those kids who come over because they like Super Junior, BTS, whatever won't be enough to plug the holes if more experienced teachers leave. 

So, they can head off a shortage by raising salaries soon.  Or they can be arrogant and keep them low and see more leave.  But, by then, the damage is done and the teachers have already left.  Raising salaries will be too late then. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2020, 09:11:43 am »
I am 60+ and enjoying my retirement teaching here. I was an elementary teacher in the states and decided to come here and enjoy not having to deal with parents, testing, grading, administrative duties,  parents, ...... I have my retirement back home working for me until I decide to return and start using it. In the meantime, I continue to save and enjoy my modest life here. It's a nice life. FYI, I do teach in a public school in Seoul.

I thought we were made to retire at 62 or does that no longer apply to foreigners?  (The age limit is to foreigners and Koreans, I thought.)

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2020, 11:23:01 pm »
Korea has been spoiled by years of too many teachers trying to escape the Great Recession and the dismal recovery for several years after.  It was really only 2017 and 2018 that economies back home finally began to feel like recovery.  Covid has thrown a wrench in things.  But, 2021 or 2022, it should be fired up again.

Employers here finally do have to realize they aren't going to be able to keep experienced teachers due to desperation anymore.  Recoveries back home (depending on how the election goes this fall) and other countries rising as teaching destinations means Korea is no longer the only gig in town.  Those kids who come over because they like Super Junior, BTS, whatever won't be enough to plug the holes if more experienced teachers leave.

So, they can head off a shortage by raising salaries soon.  Or they can be arrogant and keep them low and see more leave.  But, by then, the damage is done and the teachers have already left.  Raising salaries will be too late then

Unfortunately, I  don'tn think schools in Korea will change.  As long as there is SOMEONE, to take that 1.8-2.0 million won a month job for working 10-6, this is now the  new norm.  In addition, CROOKED and COWARDLY RECRUITERS dominate the the hiring market. 

While there really is not hassle to normally go about the visa process, endure quarantine and just start when that is over...schools and CROOKED and COWARDLY  RECRUITERS (I know you are reading these posts, you pathetic piles of pig vomit) ,are simply using this nonsensical pandemic as an excuse to phuck everything pup...and this is combined with he already, poor and pathetic reputation Korea already has in this industry. 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:52:59 am by NorthStar »

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2020, 10:26:15 am »
I see no future in working here.

My job is on a pay raise freeze with no end in site.

Iím putting all my efforts these days into getting out of teaching and opening my own business here in Korea. Iím hoping to be completely done with teaching in 2021. Itís an underpaid under appreciated job. Good luck to all of you sticking it out.

I agree for the most part.  If you have higher expectations for your life, then english teaching in hagwons or public school is going to disappoint and you'll just be passing time by with nothing really building in your life.

If you are one of those people who don't mind a mediocre life, you like a simple, minimalist life with no expectations of greater things personally, then this job would be perfect for you.