Read 2766 times

https://forms.gle/ov4JaMU9uS7yGp889

Hi Waygook.org members -

Are you an expat English teacher? Do you teach at a school, hagwon, or university? If so, would you be willing to share your feelings about working as an English teacher in Korea with us?

My friend and I are working on a research project that is seeking to better understand how and why people commit to the profession of ELT and to their workplaces. To do so, we have developed a 40-item survey about ELT commitment and wellbeing. Completing the survey should only take about 10 minutes or so, and your responses will be completely confidential and anonymous.

Even though we are using the web link below, your metadata (name, email address, ISP, etc.) will remain hidden to us. Further, we will never ask you for your name or your workplace. We want your unfiltered responses! More information about the project can be found after clicking the link:

ELT WELLBEING & COMMITMENT: https://forms.gle/ov4JaMU9uS7yGp889

(This study was approved by the Institutional Review Board of the University of Aberdeen.)

Thanks for your consideration!

About us:
Both of us started our careers as hagwon teachers and that early experience has shaped our interest in topics related to commitment, professionalism, motivation, and leadership in ELT. If you are curious, you can see our published work by clicking the Google Scholar links below.

Ian Moodie, PhD
Associate Professor (Tenure-track), Department of English Education, Mopko National University, South Korea
Google Scholar Profile https://scholar.google.co.kr/citations?user=AH1_ZuAAAAAJ&hl=en

Vincent Greenier, PhD
Lecturer, School of Language & Literature, University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Google Scholar Profile https://scholar.google.co.kr/citations?user=SiCLDbUAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:43:12 am by ian_moodie »

Re: [Survey] How do you feel about being an English teacher in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:12:15 am »
Thanks to everyone who responded so far. It's really helpful. If a few more of you are interested, here's a link to the study again:

(This study was approved by the Institutional Review Board of the University of Aberdeen.)

I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have about it, too.

Cheers,

Ian

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:25:44 pm »
The google scholar links are not below (not that I was gonna click them lol, just figured it might be worth pointing out)

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 08:44:42 am »
Ah, yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I guess the hyperlinks didn't paste properly in the original post. Here are the links to our profiles if anyone is interested:

Ian Moodie
Google Scholar Profile https://scholar.google.co.kr/citations?user=AH1_ZuAAAAAJ&hl=en

Vincent Greenier
Google Scholar Profile https://scholar.google.co.kr/citations?user=SiCLDbUAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:46:31 am by ian_moodie »

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 12:42:02 pm »
It was difficult answering a few of the questions as the situation this year is different from any previous years due to Covid-19.  Had I been answering them last year I would have answered some of them differently.  But I gave the answers as to my current situation at the moment.  I hope that was what you wanted.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 02:16:27 pm »
Hi JenniferNZ1 - First of all, thanks for doing the survey! Every response is helpful for us.

Yeah, for me, too, some of my responses were influenced by COVID-19 when I trialled the survey, especially the section on wellbeing and the one that is looking at self-efficacy. I'm not as confident a teacher with online classes! This is going to be a factor that influences our study, but we decided to go ahead with it anyway rather than hold of until things are back to 'normal', whenever that may be!

All the best to you!

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 12:11:56 pm »
If I were still paid 2,1 to 2.3 million won in 2020, I'd probably feel like a piece of shit.  Then, again, I probably wouldn't be here for that low pay.  I'd have enough pride and self respect to teach in another country.  But since I am making decent (at least for now), I'm feeling just fine. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 06:21:39 pm »
If I were still paid 2,1 to 2.3 million won in 2020, I'd probably feel like a piece of shit.  Then, again, I probably wouldn't be here for that low pay.  I'd have enough pride and self respect to teach in another country.  But since I am making decent (at least for now), I'm feeling just fine. 
Yeah.. Even in my first year here I made more than 2.1m

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 10:44:17 pm »
I am an after school hagwon (a typical town 4pm-8pm institute with a few one hour classes earlier and later classes). This academy was hit HARD by the most recent coronovirus (Not only SARS, ... MERS was also a CoV... but that is neither here nor there). We lost over 50% of our students in this town in the proximity of Daegu. I didn't work from Feb. 21st until some time in April. My contract ended by May and with SUCH REDUCED enrollment, I had two choices: a) bail for another hagwon in May (teachers here had a huge advantage at the height of the scare) ... or sign on for a 4th year at the same hagwon and help those students i have taught for years! (Not surprising the majority of the 50% of students who remained when we re-opened were the best ones (speech contest winners, TOEIC middle schoolers, elementary 'genius' class members who were expected to get h.w. every class.

The thing is...

My boss said my high salary (i am an 18-year veteran in this industry and he 'overpaid' to get me) was hard to continue. I immediately said i would take a 500,000 won pay cut and continue to teach my students for one more year (i had previously completed one of those 2-year hagwon contracts - but only wanted a one-year one this time). My boss and i agreed i will either return to my previous pay level a year later or else i will go elsewhere, out of town, i not believing in going to competition unless treated badly.

I feel great. :) I taught four classes today, three of them long-time high level (zero classroom mngt issues: no gum, hats, korean chatting or slacking, all phones in the basket). Tomorrow i have three classes. Then the weekend off. Then three classes Monday.

I love my students. I see progress every day. I have a good day most of the time. I feel great!

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 01:21:29 pm »
Hi VanIslander -

It was interesting to read your story about the past few months -- It touched on a lot of the themes that we are investigating for this research project.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 01:42:35 pm »
TGIF all!

To be clear, all are welcome to join this study, whether you love your job or not! The more the merrier.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 12:22:49 pm »
I'd feel fine if they began raising pay in the next year or two.  (I understand 2020 being a write off due to COIVD.)

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 10:14:59 pm »
I see no future in working here.

My job is on a pay raise freeze with no end in site.

Iím putting all my efforts these days into getting out of teaching and opening my own business here in Korea. Iím hoping to be completely done with teaching in 2021. Itís an underpaid under appreciated job. Good luck to all of you sticking it out.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 07:28:26 am »

dunno, depends on your job i think

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 07:44:11 am »
Not sure many people went into teaching to get rich. Most of us either a) Don't mind the job/somewhat enjoy working with students b) Have worked harder jobs before so know it is cushy c) are doing the job in order to comply with visa regulations/ability to live in Korea.

We get paid enough to live comfortably, can save, and have holidays. (pre-Wuhan) Don't get me wrong, I'd be right behind you when asking for a pay bump!
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 08:40:46 am »
I'd feel fine if they began raising pay in the next year or two.  (I understand 2020 being a write off due to COIVD.)

Yeah, I hear that. There haven't been any significant increases in pay since the late 1990s, yet inflation keeps creeping upwards.

I got 2.0 mil in 2002 at a hagwon and 2.3 mil or so at a private school in 2004. The salary is still the same!

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 08:44:33 am »

Iím putting all my efforts these days into getting out of teaching and opening my own business here in Korea. Iím hoping to be completely done with teaching in 2021. Itís an underpaid under appreciated job. Good luck to all of you sticking it out.

That's interesting. You touch on some themes that we're looking at in this study.

There are few opportunities for advancement in ELT!

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 11:19:24 am »
I currently teach at a University for 3.1 million a month 12 hours a week.

MBA from Texas A&M
F2-99 Visa.

I feel like I am underpaid each and every time I look at job advertisements on Korean Job Portals.
When I talk to Korean friends they are amazed when they find out how lowly paid we are.

2.1 million to work 9 hours a day at a hagwon is a joke.
The majority of university educated native Koreans would not be willing to sell themselves so low.

There are better jobs out there but they are few and far between. I feel like the general direction of this industry is taking a nose dive.

It's time for me to move out of teaching the writing is on the wall for me.
Years ago I applied and landed an international school job in China for $5,000 USD a month, the only thing that kept me here was achieving my F2-99 visa.

Now immigration is playing with the rules and making it more and more difficult to get the visa and keep it.
I married 2 years ago so it's easy to just change my visa over to the marriage visa, but I honestly feel like we are not wanted here.

I recently got involved in Business consulting and landed a huge contract for my employer, they offered me a full-time position starting at 5 million a month.
After doing this work I realized it's a lot easier than I had ever expected though. Now I'm thinking why should I earn $100,000's of dollars for someone else
when I could easily make my own business.

I don't know my future, but I feel like teaching is not my future! I feel like I've reached a near dead end in teaching with only lateral movements ahead of me.

T.C.

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 11:27:04 am »
Damn, sweet deal

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 11:36:52 am »

MBA from Texas A&M
F2-99 Visa.

I feel like I am underpaid each and every time I look at job advertisements on Korean Job Portals.
When I talk to Korean friends they are amazed when they find out how lowly paid we are.

2.1 million to work 9 hours a day at a hagwon is a joke.
The majority of university educated native Koreans would not be willing to sell themselves so low.

There are better jobs out there but they are few and far between. I feel like the general direction of this industry is taking a nose dive.

It's time for me to move out of teaching the writing is on the wall for me.
Years ago I applied and landed an international school job in China for $5,000 USD a month, the only thing that kept me here was achieving my F2-99 visa.

Now immigration is playing with the rules and making it more and more difficult to get the visa and keep it.
I married 2 years ago so it's easy to just change my visa over to the marriage visa, but I honestly feel like we are not wanted here.

I recently got involved in Business consulting and landed a huge contract for my employer, they offered me a full-time position starting at 5 million a month.
After doing this work I realized it's a lot easier than I had ever expected though. Now I'm thinking why should I earn $100,000's of dollars for someone else
when I could easily make my own business.

I don't know my future, but I feel like teaching is not my future! I feel like I've reached a near dead end in teaching with only lateral movements ahead of me.

T.C.

Are your Korean friends amazed that you get 3.1 mil teaching 12 hours a week?  To me that sounds like a part time job which you could easily supplement. How many hours a week do they work? if you worked the same number of hours a week as them, how much would you be on?  On an F visa you could fairly easily get that up to 5 mil and still be working fewer hours than your Korean friends.