Read 3638 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
What do you think about the Monsoon season?
« on: July 12, 2020, 06:38:34 pm »
From 2002 to 2017 I romanticed the constant warm weather downpour of the summer as an experience of "the Monsoon season"!

I laughed today when i looked out at the incessant downpour and realized I no longer romanticized it, was simply annoyed not appreciative.

:)

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
Re: What do you think about the Monsoon season?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:58:53 pm »
I have yet to see a downpour here in the Seoul area. All we had so far was light to moderate rain in this season. Mostly light.
Seems like this will be yet another weak monsoon up here. The forecast often shows several days of straight rain like a week or so ahead. But a few days later it changes to either no rain or just a little.
At least the temp. is pretty cool right now which is nice. I do not miss the 90%+ RH for days on end though...

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 11:09:03 pm »
My first year here I went running at an “inopportune” time along a river path and got caught in a torrential downpour. (It was actually quite fun.) the next summer I was home when a bumper monsoon completely flooded Gangnam. I don’t think there has been anything that has felt like an actual monsoon since, although typhoons sometimes slick things up.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 11:21:44 pm »
I think it rains a lot during the monsoon season.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 11:34:44 pm »
What Monsoon Season? Hasn't been one of them around here for a few years now.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 02:53:57 am »
It has been raining nonstop for the last 16 hours here in Gyeongsangnamdo. It is forecasted to stop raining 10 hours from now.

I am from Vancouver. I know rain. But a warm summer constant downpour i had never experienced until Korea. Today is exactly that.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 06:40:12 am »
This is the 'best' 'monsoon' since 2016.  It was kind of drizzling yesterday, but now properly chucking it down and will do for the rest of the day. 

So basically, since the end of June, we've had sporadic rain which is more like it used to be, just not as hard.  The last few years were just a couple of days and that was it and even then it was mid-July when it happened.  This year, it starting towards the end of June was like it was when I first came here.  Which left me thinking that with the decreased number of flights, car use etc this year because of Covid-19, that less pollution has meant that the seasons/seasonal things can revert back to when they should be.  It's a long shot, or it could just be coincidence.   :undecided:

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 07:15:56 am »
To me, what I imaged monsoon season would be like 2 months of none stop rain. Kind of like what you see in those American movies about the Vietnam War. But in reality, not sure if it's because of climate change, it'us usually rain for 10 hours stop for a day, then rain for like 10 hours. Since I've been here, some 10-ish year the rainy season never was that bad. Even when travelling through out SE Asia it's a similar thing, it rains, then stops, then rains, then stops...

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 07:24:56 am »
Lol, you mean everyday British weather?

I like rain, we need rain, but not when you gotta walk to school. Too close to drive, too far to run.

Yuck.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:46:07 am »
Pros

- The sound is extremely soothing
- Getting to school early, keeping all the lights in the class off and just listening to the rain in a dark room is a perfect way to start
  the day.
- I'm doing speed endurance training at the track later. With any luck, I'll be running 400s, in an empty track with the exhilaration
  of a downpour.

Cons
- Capetonians are not made for this humidity
- The rain amplifies Korea's terrible driving culture

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 07:52:53 am »
- I'm doing speed endurance training at the track later. With any luck, I'll be running 400s, in an empty track with the exhilaration
  of a downpour.

And no pollution, which is the biggy. Knowing you can train naturally and not be taking in lungfuls of crap is lovely.  If I were given the choice of wet weather with good air or dry weather with higher 보통/ low 나픔 air.  I'd go for the wet weather every time.  The pollution makes the air feel warmer and more sticky.  When I had all my windows open yesterday, it was so cool in my apartment.  Loved it.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 08:34:34 am »
- I'm doing speed endurance training at the track later. With any luck, I'll be running 400s, in an empty track with the
exhilaration
  of a downpour.

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 08:45:14 am »
Training in the rain
If it's good enough for Vegeta it's good enough for me ;D

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 08:50:25 am »
Lol, you mean everyday British weather?

I like rain, we need rain, but not when you gotta walk to school. Too close to drive, too far to run.

Yuck.
true but at least it's never usually windy here. the uk rain+wind combo is bloody annoying

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 09:01:34 am »
true but at least it's never usually windy here. the uk rain+wind combo is bloody annoying

The Mrs asked why Brits don't use umbrellas, (We just dash from door to door) I tried explaining that there aren't many umbrellas capable of protecting from horizontal rain/50 mph gusts so what's the point.

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 10:36:04 am »
If I am home, I enjoy heavy rain and get a lot of cleaning done......I love to turn on some music and get at it....hopefully the husband is at work so I can organize everything properly

I don't like it when I have to go out....just bought some cheap rain boots on gmarket

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 10:41:59 am »
The Mrs asked why Brits don't use umbrellas
I don't remember ever owning an umbrella in South Africa, despite the generous rainy seasons. Now I have about ten. How did I get by without them? I also don't remember ever getting rained on. Maybe we just drive everywhere and park under cover, I don't know

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 10:58:54 am »
I don't remember ever owning an umbrella in South Africa, despite the generous rainy seasons. Now I have about ten. How did I get by without them? I also don't remember ever getting rained on. Maybe we just drive everywhere and park under cover, I don't know

Yeah, Korea has turned me on to umbrellas. I wonder why they’re such a novelty in America. I feel like I get some “look at Gene Kelly over here!” glances from time to time.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 11:07:32 am »
Yeah, Korea has turned me on to umbrellas. I wonder why they’re such a novelty in America. I feel like I get some “look at Gene Kelly over here!” glances from time to time.

i feel like theyre only a novelty if you didn't live in a walkable area (read: a city). if you drive everywhere, then they aren't that useful, but anyone who gets around by walking or using public transportation probably uses an umbrella

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 11:16:59 am »
I didn't use umbrellas until I moved to college, and then I started using them for the sun, too (it got hot standing out in the street directing traffic for hours on end for my summer job).

One big thing that I thought was weird was rain boots. My regular shoes worked fine enough. Then the first rain happened at college, and I learned that all the stairs on campus turn into waterfalls. The local Barnes and Noble (usually bookstore, becomes more of a catch-all in college areas) did a brisk business selling rainboots after the first storm each year.