Read 456 times

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• September 07, 2016, 08:35:35 pm
    • Seoul. South Korea
Piano Hagwons/practice options?
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:45:12 pm »
I'm just wondering whether anyone has ever asked to use a piano at a piano hagwon to practice on (daily, a few times a week, etc.) for a small fee, and had success. (?) I really miss playing piano and right now it's just not practical to get an electric keyboard or something. I've thought about asking at a piano hagwon in my neighborhood, but am kind of afraid it's would be seen as a ridiculous request. So I just thought I'd ask if anyone has ever done that. Or has anyone maybe had success at a church?

Re: Piano Hagwons/practice options?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 02:52:12 pm »
A church might be a good option, especially if you attend church services, a hagwon would definitely want some money or something in return. There may be other places that have pianos available.  Places like multicultural centers and such

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 03:00:05 pm »
Your city (or one nearby) should have practice rooms you can rent by the hour. Chances are they'll also have instruments you can use. I've had band practices at five different places like that in my area.

I think they're fairly common in Korea, since so many Koreans live in apartments and need places to practice. Try asking coworkers, or checking areas around music stores and/or music hagwons.

You could also always just get a USB MIDI keyboard and some software, and practice at home.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 03:11:09 pm »
I was able to practice at a church without going to any services. You might offer to pay but my church wouldn't accept anything. This was also before corona so things might have changed now. My church hasn't let me in since the Itaewon outbreak and I probably won't go back  :sad:

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 03:16:55 pm »
Your city (or one nearby) should have practice rooms you can rent by the hour.

Yes! I used to work in the Mokdong area, and there's a place like this near Mokdong station.  That place was called AD Music. I think it's a chain, so you might be able to find other locations (though I don't know if they branch out of Seoul).  Anyway, I payed a certain amount each month for however many hours I wanted. I just had to message the night before to reserve a space for the specific time I planned on going.

Also, I went to another chain called Withpiano once. That time, I was able to walk in, pay 10,000 won, and get a free americano as I played. That was like four years ago though, so I'm not sure if they still do that.

I found both places on Naver by searching "피아노 연습실" and my area.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:19:56 pm by dylancrossen »

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 03:23:49 pm »
I was able to practice at a church without going to any services. You might offer to pay but my church wouldn't accept anything. This was also before corona so things might have changed now. My church hasn't let me in since the Itaewon outbreak and I probably won't go back  :sad:

I did attend services, but stopped after Itaewon, too. They called to interrogate me after the Itaewon ordeal, but of course only me and because other church members were concerned and the teachers in the congregation wanted to spread the rumors further.......they know I am married and generally stay local and would never be caught in a club, let alone in Itaewon because I personally don't like the area.......sadly, it's the only church with translation services in my area.....way to help me feel welcome in Korea, let alone in church which is the one place above all others that I would think would be a little more ....umm.....welcomi ng

If I do go back, I am going to at least get off my chest how I feel with someone....in as nice of a way as I can

They did have quite a few pianos though and offered to teach me violin while I attended....sadly it never worked out but they had violins, flutes, clarinets, drums and pianos....and then everyone in the church orchestra had their own personal instruments as well.

I agree with other posters....and you can possibly ask around in instrument shops as well if coteachers, friends etc don't have the answer

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:47:06 pm »
For those practice rooms, do you just book a time slot and pay when you enter? And do they have all instruments available (obviously not if it's a special piano facility or whatever). I used to fantasize about finding a place back home that would have a drumkit set up that I could bash around on since I didn't have space (or sufficiently friendly neighbors) to have one of my own.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 06:53:23 pm »
If you're at a public school then it's pretty much a certainty they'd at least have a digital piano or keyboard somewhere. Ask if you can use it, shouldn't be a problem. I practice piano at 2 of my schools, guitar at one school while the HR teachers practice on their violins and cello.

Other than that, I'd honestly just buy a 2nd hand midi keyboard, download Reaper, get some free piano plugins and there you go; you won't have the action of an acoustic, but it'll keep you going. The money you'd spend would be nothing compared to the hassle of finding 'free' practice areas and bumming for some regular play time. You'd also be able to sell the keyboard when you leave, plenty of folks in your predicament looking for something to practice on.

• tamahari
  • Waygookin

• September 07, 2016, 08:35:35 pm
    • Seoul. South Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 07:32:59 pm »
I did attend services, but stopped after Itaewon, too. They called to interrogate me after the Itaewon ordeal, but of course only me and because other church members were concerned and the teachers in the congregation wanted to spread the rumors further.......they know I am married and generally stay local and would never be caught in a club, let alone in Itaewon because I personally don't like the area.......sadly, it's the only church with translation services in my area.....way to help me feel welcome in Korea, let alone in church which is the one place above all others that I would think would be a little more ....umm.....welcomi ng

If I do go back, I am going to at least get off my chest how I feel with someone....in as nice of a way as I can

They did have quite a few pianos though and offered to teach me violin while I attended....sadly it never worked out but they had violins, flutes, clarinets, drums and pianos....and then everyone in the church orchestra had their own personal instruments as well.

I agree with other posters....and you can possibly ask around in instrument shops as well if coteachers, friends etc don't have the answer

Wow, I'm so sorry the church singled you out like that. I hope you can eventually tell them how you feel and find a point of reconciliation. Thanks for the tips. 

BTW--I am not a teacher, so none of the "school" stuff is a possibility.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:29:59 pm by tamahari »

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 11:02:03 pm »
I've thought about asking at a piano hagwon in my neighborhood, but am kind of afraid it's would be seen as a ridiculous request.

Doesn’t sound like you have much to lose in asking. And as Grey Poupon commercials of yesteryear have taught me, sometimes asking a potentially silly question can be exhilarating — even liberating. I hope they laugh in your face, and you laugh right back.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 07:57:44 am »
Hi,

I play music a lot around Seoul and in my experience, university areas are more packed full of practice spaces. You'll need some Korean skills to book a space so if you aren't too savvy I suggest asking a friend to help. I use 2 websites to find rooms, and there are usually different ways to book, either by the hour, or in the past I've also booked monthly. About 100,000 won for 1 month, and I had an evening slot everyday. However, I know that's actually pretty expensive now that I have more experience. For hourly, I usually pay 5,000/hour.

You should search on Naver 음악 연습실 (music practice room) or better yet, use these 2 sites and enter your location:

https://www.mule.co.kr
https://www.spacecloud.kr

Good luck! There's all kinds of rooms - dance, instrumental, recording studios, etc. etc. Sometimes I pay a little more for a really bougie room if I'm spending a lot of time or recording. Good luck!

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 08:07:02 am »
For those practice rooms, do you just book a time slot and pay when you enter? And do they have all instruments available (obviously not if it's a special piano facility or whatever). I used to fantasize about finding a place back home that would have a drumkit set up that I could bash around on since I didn't have space (or sufficiently friendly neighbors) to have one of my own.

Oh, many spaces have other instruments like drums, guitar, bass, but you really need to look closely. Try searching for the specific instrument 드럼 연습실 or whatever. And in my experience, every place I've used you send the message or call, request the time and date, send a bank transfer for your reservation, and the owner will send you a building or room code. Usually there's a lobby area with water, etc, bathrooms, and since many rooms are 24/7, they are secure and have CCTV so you really can play all night^^ I've also rented a couple studio spaces with a kitchen so if you're there for a long time, that's nice because you can order or bring food. Many smaller rooms don't allow food.