Read 647 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Grocery shopping
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:06:44 pm »
#1. Oblivious people cutting in, backing into you and generally failing to be aware of anything around them

#2. Serving staff following you around as if you're about to steal something

#3. Serving staff yelling at you to buy their products

# 4. Serving staff not allowing you to browse without pestering you

# 5. Oblivious people blocking the aisles and obstructing your way

20 minutes is about the maximum tolerance limit for the whole insane shopping trauma. Beyond that you risk your emotional wellbeing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:52:09 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Re: Delightful grocery shopping.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:37:26 pm »
Cyanea, even with glasses I can't make out what you are saying. Please make it bigger-I'm old and a little bit hard of seeing. Thank you.

Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:53:45 am »
Cyanea, even with glasses I can't make out what you are saying. Please make it bigger-I'm old and a little bit hard of seeing. Thank you.

I have vision problems myself. In fact, today I just couldn't see myself coming to work so I'm staying home and relaxing. Fortunately, I get 5 mental health days a year. They don't count as sick days or holidays and I don't need to give a reason. Some days a person has vision problems man and they just can't see themselves doing anything but curling up with a book or tunes and maybe a cold one.

• maclarent1337
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2019, 07:09:51 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 02:31:49 pm »
I never have any problems shopping. ,-.

Of course the service people want you to buy their shit, it's the same as if you go to a market. Just smile and keep walking... ^^

Do people really follow you around?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 02:42:12 pm »
I never have any problems shopping. ,-.

Of course the service people want you to buy their shit, it's the same as if you go to a market. Just smile and keep walking... ^^

Do people really follow you around?

Yes, the worst is the wine section in Euljiro Lotte dept store. They're relentless.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 02:42:23 pm »
Maclarent has a funny way of bumping cyanea’s posts once they’ve disappeared from the main page...  8)

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 02:49:05 pm »
Most problems are solved with headphones.

The rest are solved by practicing not having any anxiety in salesperson-intensive shopping situations. You don't have to buy anything and you can politely (or rudely if they persist) tell them to leave you alone. Heck, you can even, sample stuff and buy it or not, and actually ask questions.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 03:27:43 pm »

The rest are solved by practicing not having any anxiety in salesperson-intensive shopping situations. You don't have to buy anything and you can politely (or rudely if they persist) tell them to leave you alone. Heck, you can even, sample stuff and buy it or not, and actually ask questions.

Or someone could find it irritating and have that stand as their opinion.  Martino making a stand against free thought. 

Having to find a solution doesn't mean there was never a problem. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 03:29:37 pm »

don't know if i would say "solved" but they certainly make irritating situations in public more bearable. i literally never leave the house without them

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 10:54:50 pm »
Or someone could find it irritating and have that stand as their opinion.  Martino making a stand against free thought. 

Having to find a solution doesn't mean there was never a problem. 
Or, you know, you could do something that the average Thai or Arab girl at the age of 15 can do and that's handle salespeople without falling to pieces.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 06:07:12 am »
Or, you know, you could do something that the average Thai or Arab girl at the age of 15 can do and that's handle salespeople without falling to pieces.

Classic DM. Just saying something is annoying is 'falling to pieces' now ?  Here's a thought, maybe the Thai or Arab girl, like the English teacher,  is able to solve the problem of annoying sales people and finds it annoying and sometimes complains about it. All at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:22:28 am by stoat »

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 06:28:41 am »
Classic DM. Just saying something is annoying is 'falling to pieces' now ?  Here's a thought, maybe the Thai or Arab girl, like the English teacher,  is able to solve the problem of annoying sales people and finds it annoying and sometimes complains about it. All at the same time.

Come on.  You know he can't deal in anything other than absolutes.  It's only black and white with him, there are no grey areas.  He talks like my dad, everything or everybody are either great/fantastic/super or terrible/everything is fukced/awful.  My dad is 80, mind.  I can spot people like this a 'Scandinavian' mile off.  You just have to humour them and reassure them.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 06:29:10 am »
Tried the nice approach in previous threads. Dude didnt want to listen. Now he's back here making ridiculous comparisons yet again.

Has his approach worked? Has it made his life any better? Why keep doing the same thing over and over? Why not solve it? Why continue to impotently rage about it?

It's like whatshisface complaining for the umpteenth time about the heat. We get it, it's not Canada and you like it cold.

Stop talking and start doing.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 07:51:57 am »

What?  Oh man, that is discriminatory.  And coming from the guy who finds and gets offended by discrimination in every thread that comments on life in Korea.  And he's not Korean.  But, after visiting a market in Bangkok or seeing The Grand Bazaar on a travel show has no problem making the sweeping generalization that by 15 Thai and Arabs have no issues with being followed by sales staff. The ignorance is strong in this fellow.  My ex-Thai wife was up here numerous times and she had no problems with the crowds and bartering on price.  She enjoyed that aspect.  But she got easily annoyed and offended when we would be in a department store or shop where just by looking at a display or item the sales person would be on you like white on rice.  When we would go to the markets that aren't for tourists with her family the 15 year olds and other teens tagged along and had no part in the actual purchasing.  In your mind I guess you saw some 15 year old living alone in a hut with ailing grandparents having to ride the family bike down to the river market and haggle for dinner with the small amount they could afford?  Unbelievable. 

So, to sum up Martino's viewpoint. Ignorant and sweeping statements about other cultures is acceptable. Any comments about Korean life are overreacting and discriminatory.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 08:43:22 am »

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 08:54:00 am »

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 08:55:46 am »
excuse me?

She has transitioned to a Canadian now

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 09:01:32 am »
She has transitioned to a Canadian now

Yes, she identifies as Canadian now.  Glad you got it.