Read 389 times

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
EG Sim, anyone?
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:48:20 am »
So I've been using one of these ever since I arrived in 2016. It's basically a prepaid sim card intended for people travelling in Korea, I just never bothered upgrading to a real phone plan (don't like contracts).

Problem is, the f***ers removed the option to recharge your data balance online (i.e. on an actual computer, via their website). You can only do it with their super shit clunky app, which you obviously can't use without data. I could use wifi to get the app running and then recharge, but I don't have wifi at school. Do I really have to wait till I get home? It's 2020 goddammit.

Or am I missing something?

• maclarent1337
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2019, 07:09:51 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
Re: EG Sim, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 12:12:45 pm »
it'd be well well well well worth it to switch to 알뜰폰.... haha

I get 6gb data, 100call, 100txt for 11,000원/month

But no idea how to solve your problem in question :/ Sorry and good luck to you bud

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 12:22:09 pm »
it'd be well well well well worth it to switch to 알뜰폰
Sounds good. No idea what that is though, haha. Is it a contract? I might be leaving Korea in the next 6 months or so, so it wouldn't make sense to commit to a two-year contract at this point.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 12:30:29 pm »
I've posted about one 알뜰폰 company, KT M Mobile, many, many times on website waygook.org. For 32,000 per month I get (basically) unlimited data, unlimited calls and texts, and access to all KT wifi in Korea, for 32,000 won per month, no contract. If you don't need unlimited data, you can get, like waygook.org user maclarent1337 said, you can get something less for a lot cheaper. I haven't seen anything as low as 11,000 won per month, but it's not an unrealistic price.

It's absolutely worth switching to. The speed and coverage, at least for KT M, is just as good as when I was with KT proper before.

I've saved a probably close to a couple million won over the past few years after switching.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 12:40:29 pm »
I've posted about one 알뜰폰 company, KT M Mobile, many, many times on website waygook.org. For 32,000 per month I get (basically) unlimited data, unlimited calls and texts, and access to all KT wifi in Korea, for 32,000 won per month, no contract. If you don't need unlimited data, you can get, like waygook.org user maclarent1337 said, you can get something less for a lot cheaper. I haven't seen anything as low as 11,000 won per month, but it's not an unrealistic price.

It's absolutely worth switching to. The speed and coverage, at least for KT M, is just as good as when I was with KT proper before.

I've saved a probably close to a couple million won over the past few years after switching.
But is it a contract? Or pay as you go?

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 12:31:34 am »
I've been doing 아이즈모바일 for 3000/month for years now. You just deposit money in your account and it'll take from your account's balance if you use it. Phone calls are expensive but texts and data are reasonable at 22won/text and 22won/MB. 
It's not for everyone but I use data only for messaging on the go; that's something like 100+ messages per MB. Rest of the time I'm on WiFi so it works well for my lifestyle. If you don't use up the 3000won, the remaining balance rolls over to the next month so you could potentially have 20,000+ in your account after a few years. 

You can technically do more than 3000/month. It's very flexible since it just charges by how much you use, but 3000 is the minimum to keep the account alive. 

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 07:39:55 am »
But is it a contract? Or pay as you go?

It's post-paid, no contract. It's not pay-as-you-go, either.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:42:22 am by #basedcowboyshirt »

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 07:47:55 am »

It's post-paid, no contract. It's not pay-as-you-go, either.

How does it work when you want a new phone? Are you responsible for getting your own phone? Do you have to pay for a new phone in one lump sum?

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 01:25:48 pm »
How does it work when you want a new phone? Are you responsible for getting your own phone? Do you have to pay for a new phone in one lump sum?

Yeah, if you don't want a contract. I always buy my phones outright, though. It works out to be way cheaper than paying the ridiculously high rates the big three (KT, SK, and LG) charge on their contracts.