Read 2950 times

• thbsp
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2010, 09:20:17 am
    • asan, chungnam, korea
where to buy a computer?
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:12:49 pm »
can someone recommend a store or website to buy a tower that's windows-free for someone who knows what they're doing with a computer?  (i'm looking to spend about 600,000원, but i don't think that really affects the choice of store.)

- "PC", desktop - i don't need a monitor or keyboard or that stuff, just a tower.
- problem is that nearly all the ones i've seen come with windows included, and i'll be using linux.  i don't want to pay another ~50,000원 (or however much a windows license costs nowadays) for something i'll erase right away.

i have the technical knowledge to buy parts off gmarket and assemble it myself, but that requires a lot of research and hassle, and all my tools and spare parts are back in canada.  i'd rather have a list of pre-assembled machines to browse through with specifics of components.

i know a bunch of people will say to go to yongsan, but i have an inherent distrust of a small booth that can disappear overnight.  a recommendation of a specific place within yongsan would be great.

• tealstardust
  • Adventurer

• April 05, 2011, 01:13:09 pm
    • Hopyoung, Namyangju
Re: where to buy a computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:28:13 pm »
My husband just bought his laptop at technomart in Seoul about a week and a half ago.  They had lots of stations where you could either just buy the parts you need or could 100% customize what you want, and they will build it for you.  I have heard that if you want a cheap 100% customized desktop, that is one great way to do it.  I could be wrong, but it all looked pretty impressive to me.  Anyway, just an idea.  Good luck

• Sandman626
  • Adventurer

• August 27, 2010, 12:08:45 pm
    • East Coast, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:35:58 pm »
Er, just build the thing. I don't really see what's so complicated about getting a case, CPU, mobo, CD-ROM, HDD, and ram. What other tools would you need than a screw driver? If you're just running linux, I don't think you'd need anymore than that.

I'd say check some used computer shops and get some old parts.

Sorry that I didn't really answer your question. As for that, I've seen some low end spec computer, with windows installed of course, for about 65만원 on sale at Lotte Mart and Hi-Mart every now and again.

Hope you can find what you're looking for.

• pinklady
  • Explorer

• September 29, 2011, 03:36:41 pm
    • southkorea
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:02:42 am »
can someone recommend a store or website to buy a tower that's windsurfer for someone who knows what they're doing with a computer?  (I'm looking to spend about 600,000원, but i don't think that really affects the choice of store.)

- "PC", desktop - i don't need a monitor or keyboard or that stuff, just a tower.
- problem is that nearly all the ones I've seen come with windows included, and I'll be using Linux.  i don't want to pay another ~50,000원 (or however much a windows license costs nowadays) for something I'll erase right away.

i have the technical knowledge to buy parts off market and assemble it myself, but that requires a lot of research and hassle, and all my tools and spare parts are back in Canada.  I'd rather have a list of reassembled machines to browse through with specifics of components.

i know a bunch of people will say to go to Yong's, but i have an inherent distrust of a small booth that can disappear overnight.  a recommendation of a specific place within Yong's would be great.
I usually buy computer to Hart.
the shop have lots of model.
you can find anything

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:06:17 am »
I would recommend checking the computer building in the Yongsan area.  Anytime I have been there for my old laptop repairs, they had stations with just piles of parts that you can buy.  I am sure that you could find parts to build it out yourself, or find a completed computer with nothing installed onto it at all. 

Good luck

• skpak
  • Newgookin

• October 06, 2011, 04:54:29 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:16:41 am »
make sure you check the price online before you go to yongsan cause they are notorious for ripping off their customers

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:42:06 pm »
make sure you check the price online before you go to yongsan cause they are notorious for ripping off their customers

I'd also like to add READ the fine print of the warranty you're given.  I was told mine was intl warranty, but when I got home it said in bold red print: warranty only good in Korea

Still didn't matter since I live here and all, but still.  Some places will charge more for an "international warranty" when it isn't even that.

All in all, I hate Yongsan for a lot of reasons.  But I saved about 60000-80000 won by doing research and getting my camera there.  Just be prepared and don't settle for anything you don't want.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:16 pm »
The computer sales area of Yongsan inside the building near the station is good.  Lots of smaller independent stores with guys who know their stuff and are willing to save you cash by using good refurbished parts and downloading you eherm, Jack Sparrow variety software etc.