Read 3645 times

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
Re: Gender disparity on Waygook
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2020, 05:17:18 pm »
hm.. nice research LI, but.....bit weird

I think a restraining order is needed there.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2020, 06:40:33 am »
Likewise, you can guess with near certainty an English teacher who has been in Korea more than twenty years is unable to speak Korean beyond beginner basics.

No matter how many times you write this disparaging comment, doesn't make it true.  In your experience and with the few people you've met who've lived here twenty years, maybe.  But anecdotes like this are not true.  You seem to forget that some people 'have an ear for languages'.  I have students who are great at speaking English and speak naturally, but don't do well in their tests.   Likewise, you can have students here who'd do well in a reading/writing/listening test but not so well with speaking.  Anyone who's taught students for any length of time knows that the spectrum of competence in language goes way beyond just speaking.  That is the same for native teachers.  You also forget that there are a lot of native teachers here who are polyglots.  Canadians who can speak French, English and Korean.  South Africans who can speak English, Afrikaans and Korean.  For most of us, Korean isn't the second language to us.  You seem to look at things through your rather blinkered idea that native teachers, who you've met, confirm that blinkered view. 

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 07:22:01 am »
Pretending to be a woman online... Hahaha FFS thats even better than deliberately and maliciously misquoting someone and then attempting to sweep it under the rug!

Hi Tyler!
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 07:49:41 am »
I did think that Ronnie was a guy, but for some reason wants to be identified as female on here, so I just went along with his/her wish. 

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 10:18:36 am »
Alright I made an account just to add my female commentary to this post.

The reason, in my opinion, that there are rarely females posting on Waygook is it's incredibly toxic and taxing towards women to be on here.
I browse and read the forums when I have nothing left to do at work and my God the amount of misogynistic bull shirt on here is insane. There's no bouncing back from all of the men on here who attacked the poster for sharing the story about a man entering her house uninvited and masturbating. Instead of listening you all IMMEDIATELY questioned her and the validity of her story and even bullied her over the usage of the word assault.

First of all, it's none of your decisions as to how she felt in that situation, and also, how incredibly rude. Every time I read these forums I'm literally ashamed and disappointed that this kind of toxicity is so widely accepted and shared on here. Every single post turns into a shirt hole of derailment and generally unacceptable commentary towards women, LGBTQ+, weightism, etc. I can only be on here for a few minutes at a time before I realized I wasted my time coming here in the first place.

When I first came to Korea (and even before), Waygook had amazing resources and information about life here, and I think I keep coming back in hopes that there will be something worthwhile still. Ever since the paywall went up it's not the same. It's just the same male posters who get off on arguing all day online with the same other three people and OCCASIONALLY a female poster.

So, the reason for the lack of women is probably the very outward and unmoderated misogyny on here.

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 12:12:58 pm »
Similarly, I wonder how many posters on here are of Korean and East-Asian extraction? There are A LOT of adoptees and kyopos teaching English but their representation on here seems substantially lower. I guess I make up for it.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 12:20:29 pm »
Similarly, I wonder how many posters on here are of Korean and East-Asian extraction? There are A LOT of adoptees and kyopos teaching English but their representation on here seems substantially lower. I guess I make up for it.

Man, when it's all done and said you really lump people together by race.  There are plenty of adoptees and gyopos here.  I'm sure we all know them, but most of them don't think as a hive.  That's pretty presumptuous and arrogant of you to assume they all have the same deep rooted issues you have.  You think you can just tell someone's ethnicity from their posting style?

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2020, 12:34:28 pm »
Man, when it's all done and said you really lump people together by race.  There are plenty of adoptees and gyopos here.  I'm sure we all know them, but most of them don't think as a hive.  That's pretty presumptuous and arrogant of you to assume they all have the same deep rooted issues you have.  You think you can just tell someone's ethnicity from their posting style?
First, it was a joke.

But yeah, I'M the one who lumps Koreans together as a race and treats them as a hive.  :rolleyes:

I say this because very few posters here specifically mention being Korean/East Asian in any sort of context. I thought pkjh might have been, but I think a while back he said he was of European extraction.

Finally, just because I have opinions doesn't make them issues. Although perhaps you're right. We all have issues. I'm sure you have deep-seated issues with mediocrity and having to take orders from whatever asshole ajosshi you take orders from while his nephew has your uni slot and your job back home.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2020, 02:15:40 pm »

Finally, just because I have opinions doesn't make them issues. Although perhaps you're right. We all have issues. I'm sure you have deep-seated issues with mediocrity and having to take orders from whatever asshole ajosshi you take orders from while his nephew has your uni slot and your job back home.

Hunh?

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 07:47:18 am »

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 08:04:57 am »

The reason, in my opinion, that there are rarely females posting on Waygook is it's incredibly toxic and taxing towards women to be on here.

So? Women are stronger than men are, they can take it.

Or are they the same as men, and can therefore take the same amount of slagging as men?

Or are they weaker than men, and need special protections?

How much toxicity have you seen towards women? I'm a real boy, and I've been threatened with battery by resident Tough Guy Aristocrat. Is that because of toxicity towards males? I've seen Mt. Demartino do the same towards another user. Never seen female posters be taxed like that.
Does your wife submit to you?

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 08:33:12 am »
toxic taxing misogynistic attacked bullied toxicity weightism misogyny

First of all, welcome to Waygook.org!  ;D may it pass those quiet moments for you at your desk like it does for many of the users here. I look forward to your posts!  :azn:

Just to clarify, are you a woman woman? Or are you just pretending to be one? (Not in the trans aspect - that's your business not mine, you do you.) It's just there has been a case recently here of someone pretending to be a woman when in fact they were a grown ass adult man. (I know, cringe  :laugh: etc etc) I feel it's important to outline this, as the language used by users towards you can be altered to avoid the leftist buzzword compilation you outlined above.

Happy Waygookin-g!
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 08:39:52 am »
   Rather than attacking other posters for pointing out that posters are often being badly treated, or beating long dead horses to death over and over again, let's focus on the topic at hand (gender disparity on Waygook). Thanks!

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 09:19:28 am »

I browse and read the forums when I have nothing left to do at work and my God the amount of misogynistic bull shirt on here is insane. There's no bouncing back from all of the men on here who attacked the poster for sharing the story about a man entering her house uninvited and masturbating. Instead of listening you all IMMEDIATELY questioned her and the validity of her story and even bullied her over the usage of the word assault.

First of all, it's none of your decisions as to how she felt in that situation, and also, how incredibly rude. Every time I read these forums I'm literally ashamed and disappointed that this kind of toxicity is so widely accepted and shared on here. Every single post turns into a shirt hole of derailment and generally unacceptable commentary towards women, LGBTQ+, weightism, etc. I can only be on here for a few minutes at a time before I realized I wasted my time coming here in the first place.

When I first came to Korea (and even before), Waygook had amazing resources and information about life here, and I think I keep coming back in hopes that there will be something worthwhile still. Ever since the paywall went up it's not the same. It's just the same male posters who get off on arguing all day online with the same other three people and OCCASIONALLY a female poster.
y
So, the reason for the lack of women is probably the very outward and unmoderated misogyny on here.

I wish there were more posters like you! But I completely understand why there arenít.

I too feel the mood here has definitely been more inhospitable and the posters more belligerent as of late (but I dare not say toxic!). No jam. :sad:

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2020, 01:42:59 pm »
I don't think I need to dredge through the forums to find evidence thesis style like some posters on here do, but off the top of my head I can recall some threads such as "all NETs are overweight", "Men, Women, and pets" or whatever just dressed as a disguise to bash female pet owners here, and my aforementioned assault reference. There have been many other instances of misogynistic behavior on here, as well-and before people come to attack me the overweight thread applies to men and women, not just women.

It's truly disappointing. We all know how challenging it is living and working abroad, it's even worse knowing that a large portion of the men in a community designed for all of us are so insistent on putting down women, for what? What are you gaining?

And I am biologically female and identify as female for those who are concerned.

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020, 01:45:39 pm »
shanebarry1986,

Your personal plight in online arguments that you instigated with other users is not the topic of this thread, nor was the subject of "who is the stronger gender".
Stick to the point and stop trying to bait.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2020, 07:20:54 pm »
I don't think I need to dredge through the forums to find evidence thesis style like some posters on here do, but off the top of my head I can recall some threads such as "all NETs are overweight"

The problem with recalling information off the top of one's head is it might be inaccurate The statement was over half of NETs are overweight, which is true. If you look at our home countries, well over half the population is overweight; it's about two thirds. Unless NETs as a whole are way healthier than average, it's correct.

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2020, 09:21:40 pm »
I don't think I need to dredge through the forums to find evidence thesis style like some posters on here do, but off the top of my head I can recall some threads such as "all NETs are overweight", "Men, Women, and pets" or whatever just dressed as a disguise to bash female pet owners here, and my aforementioned assault reference. There have been many other instances of misogynistic behavior on here, as well-and before people come to attack me the overweight thread applies to men and women, not just women.

It's truly disappointing. We all know how challenging it is living and working abroad, it's even worse knowing that a large portion of the men in a community designed for all of us are so insistent on putting down women, for what? What are you gaining?

And I am biologically female and identify as female for those who are concerned.

There's no shortage of threads, posts and topics discussing the shortcomings of expat men being: drunkards, slovenly, fat, egotistical, losers etc. I think most posters here are happy to go after anyone or anything.

I think the reason for the gender disparity is exactly what I said in a previous thread; the sexes are different. On average, men and women are going to spend their time differently.

Generally, men enjoy/don't mind talking sh*t, getting into arguments over the silliest of topics. It's typical, healthy, aggressive male behaviour that started in the playground.

Based on observation, I think women are far less eager to argue with one another, aren't nearly as aggressive and prefer a more harmonious, supportive environment where everyone agrees and encourages, or at least maintains the pretense. So, they're more likely to be part of Kakao groups of people they've actually met and know well. To women, getting into a heated online debate over the exact method that Epicurus wiped his ass would be completely ridiculous, and they're right, but to plenty of guys, that'd right up our alley (no pun intended).

No conspiracy, no sexism, just different preferences. 

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 07:12:45 am »
heated online debate over the exact method that Epicurus wiped his ass

it was obviously front to back. i'd wager he had some ancient greek wet tissue as well