Read 486 times

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFNhFFSd1rw

This woman is an advisory to the UK police force speaking on a national news channel.

On the plus side, what's the betting she's really well up on certain details of the transatlantic slave trade?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:34:36 am by stoat »

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: I haven't met Churchill, so I can't say for sure if he's racist.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:36:53 am »
What an idiot.  Churchill was the ultimate NAZI fighter.  Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves.  Yet, all the dopes want to tear down their statues too.  It's not about racism; it's about anarchy using this as a cover.  They get orders from above and they want to change all of history.  Mao and Stalin changed History too.  It was easier to control people and to take over then.  Condition and brainwash people. 

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 10:00:17 am »
Churchill was a controversial figure even in his own time. There is a very good reason why he is one of the most 'biographied' people in history. Yes, he was a racist, but people celebrate him for leading the free world to victory over fascism, not for his views about race. It's important to know about his unpalatable views and policies, but we can also be grateful that thanks to him we are not living under the yoke of a 1,000-year Third Reich fascist regime. The very fact that minority groups can even protest their unfair treatment in society (which I don't deny is a thing, btw - we do need to acknowledge and address institutional racism) is in large part due to Churchill's stubborn resistance to making a deal with the Nazis (which large elements of the UK parliament were willing to do).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:06:17 am by Datasapien »
I never finish anyth

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 10:43:48 am »
Churchill was a controversial figure even in his own time. There is a very good reason why he is one of the most 'biographied' people in history. Yes, he was a racist, but people celebrate him for leading the free world to victory over fascism, not for his views about race. It's important to know about his unpalatable views and policies, but we can also be grateful that thanks to him we are not living under the yoke of a 1,000-year Third Reich fascist regime. The very fact that minority groups can even protest their unfair treatment in society (which I don't deny is a thing, btw - we do need to acknowledge and address institutional racism) is in large part due to Churchill's stubborn resistance to making a deal with the Nazis (which large elements of the UK parliament were willing to do).

If you're referring to the UK, what institutions do you think are racist and how can this problem be addressed?

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 11:02:36 am »
You know what, I'm actually going to retract that statement. I'm going to have to make a bunch of assumptions here, so please correct me on any if you think I've missed the mark.

I don't think the UK is racist as a state (like any country there are individual racists), but it is 'classist'. And it just so happens to be that a large proportion of minority groups (due to historically racist reasons, not necessarily current racist reasons) occupy the lower strata of society. Of course there are also many poor, working class white people struggling to make ends meet, but looking at proportions of population, if you are a member of a minority group you have a higher probability of coming from a disadvantaged background. So I think that class is being confused with race.

So it's not what can we do to address racism per se, but what can we do to increase equality in society in general. Some wishy-washy ideas off the top of my head include:

a) increase taxes on the wealthy
b) close tax loopholes for wealthy individuals / corporations (no more tax havens)
c) invest heavily in traditionally deprived areas of the country (better schools, housing, public services, transport, green spaces, health care)

Don't see any other way out to be honest. Need to tax the rich, invest in the poor.

Britain is a multi-cultural haven for people of all skin types and beliefs and to be painting it as a racist dystopia as some people seem to be doing is absolutely ridiculous (see the CCP for a true example). But we do have a pretty terrible history when it comes to racism that I don't think we, as a nation, have ever really acknowledged. I didn't really learn about the atrocities committed by the British Empire at school, only the good stuff, and I think it'd be beneficial to learn both sides of the story (not only the good, and not only the bad - history isn't black and white ... excuse the pun).
I never finish anyth

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 11:24:06 am »
You know what, I'm actually going to retract that statement. I'm going to have to make a bunch of assumptions here, so please correct me on any if you think I've missed the mark.

I don't think the UK is racist as a state (like any country there are individual racists), but it is 'classist'. And it just so happens to be that a large proportion of minority groups (due to historically racist reasons, not necessarily current racist reasons) occupy the lower strata of society. Of course there are also many poor, working class white people struggling to make ends meet, but looking at proportions of population, if you are a member of a minority group you have a higher probability of coming from a disadvantaged background. So I think that class is being confused with race

Brendan O'Neil of Spiked talks a lot about this - he makes the point that all the diversity drives at places like the BBC or Oxbridge just end up giving out places/jobs to Middle and upper middle class non whites, and this is backed up by looking at the bios of  people who write on race relations at the Guardian/Independent. 

Britain is a multi-cultural haven for people of all skin types and beliefs and to be painting it as a racist dystopia as some people seem to be doing is absolutely ridiculous (see the CCP for a true example). But we do have a pretty terrible history when it comes to racism that I don't think we, as a nation, have ever really acknowledged. I didn't really learn about the atrocities committed by the British Empire at school, only the good stuff, and I think it'd be beneficial to learn both sides of the story (not only the good, and not only the bad - history isn't black and white ... excuse the pun).

That's been going on since 2008.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7582004.stm#:~:text=Britain's%20involvement%20in%20the%20slave,pupils%20in%20England%20from%20September.&text=The%20Department%20for%20Children%2C%20Schools,to%20it%20and%20its%20abolition

Also I don't know when you went to school but I went ages ago and we didn't do anything about the British Empire good or bad. It was WW2, industrial revolution and Medieval social history.  Unless you're old enough to remember when classrooms had world maps with a quarter coloured in with red ink,  I'm pretty sure you missed any glorification of the Empire as well.

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 11:30:30 am »
Yeah the idea of filling diversity quotas is absolutely ridiculous - it's essentially preferential treatment based on skin colour ... isn't that what everyone is protesting about? We should be aiming for equal opportunity, not equal outcomes. I think the far left has seriously lost the plot (although I'm a lefty myself, in case you couldn't tell).

I left school in 2007 - basically studied the same things as you. Glad they've updated the history curriculum a little bit there.
I never finish anyth

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 01:23:46 am »
What an idiot.  Churchill was the ultimate NAZI fighter.  Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves.  Yet, all the dopes want to tear down their statues too.  It's not about racism; it's about anarchy using this as a cover.  They get orders from above and they want to change all of history.  Mao and Stalin changed History too.  It was easier to control people and to take over then.  Condition and brainwash people.
I'd call Audie Murphy the ultimate Nazi fighter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy#World_War_II_service

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 07:35:27 am »
I'd call Audie Murphy the ultimate Nazi fighter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy#World_War_II_service

That he truly was.  First I heard of him. 

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 08:53:35 am »
That he truly was.  First I heard of him. 
Never saw Red Badge of Courage or any other of his movies?