Read 9571 times

Re: Are Koreans rude and cold?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 05:35:13 am »
What's the point of speaking Afrikaans in the presence of NETs who can't understand it? That's exclusionary. Do they feel more comfortable and better able to articulate their thoughts in their mother tongue of Afrikaans than their non native language of English? Then they're not really NETs are they?
What's the point in insisting that people speak in a given language to make YOU comfortable? Are you the center of attention and the one to whom all preferences should be tailored?

You might have a different view if you had grown up bilingual instead of monolingual. A lot of the people who are uncomfortable with bilingualism are insecure about it, usually because of some negative trait like jealousy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:39:33 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 05:50:03 am »
if you're with a group of people who all speak the same language, but they decide to exclude you by having a conversation in another language they know you don't understand..how is that not rude again?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 06:32:42 am »
Jealous of not being able to speak Afrikaans? Languages are only useful insofar as the percentage of the world who can understand it but not understand English. Meaning outside of South Africa it's useless (and probably not even that needed to function inside South Africa). Its only utility in Korea is as a secret code system, meaning evading understanding in a public setting. Which is not polite or inclusive.

English is by far the most useful language in the world. Nothing else comes close. A very distant second, third, fourth, and fifth would be Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, and Japanese. Do I wish I could speak those? Yes. But the opportunity cost is too high. Most adults can't pick up languages as well as kids. I wish that wasn't true, but it is. Also, most people around the world have learned and been exposed to English from a young age through TV, school, and YouTube. Because they know English, the value of knowing a language that is not English lessens.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 06:48:38 am »
if you're with a group of people who all speak the same language, but they decide to exclude you by having a conversation in another language they know you don't understand..how is that not rude again?
You're presuming that their intent is to exclude you rather than to communicate with each other. Their lives do not revolve around you.

If you're in a group of Saffers and you're the only non-Saffer why does it make you so upset that they speak in Afrikaans for a few minutes. It's not like you're totally out of it. "OMG I'm not the center of attention 24-7 and these eight other people aren't forgoing their own enjoyment in order to service me. How dare they!!!"

Those of us with experience dealing with bilingual people and being in bilingual social settings know how to handle this without flying off the rails and getting all insecure about it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:53:23 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 06:51:58 am »
Jealous of not being able to speak Afrikaans? Languages are only useful insofar as the percentage of the world who can understand it but not understand English. Meaning outside of South Africa it's useless (and probably not even that needed to function inside South Africa). Its only utility in Korea is as a secret code system, meaning evading understanding in a public setting. Which is not polite or inclusive.

English is by far the most useful language in the world. Nothing else comes close. A very distant second, third, fourth, and fifth would be Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, and Japanese. Do I wish I could speak those? Yes. But the opportunity cost is too high. Most adults can't pick up languages as well as kids. I wish that wasn't true, but it is. Also, most people around the world have learned and been exposed to English from a young age through TV, school, and YouTube. Because they know English, the value of knowing a language that is not English lessens.
If Afrikaans is such a useless language, then why do you give a shit if they speak it and why wasn't your initial point about how it was useless?

• stoat
  • The Legend

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 07:02:01 am »
You're presuming that their intent is to exclude you rather than to communicate with each other. Their lives do not revolve around you.

If you're in a group of Saffers and you're the only non-Saffer why does it make you so upset that they speak in Afrikaans for a few minutes. It's not like you're totally out of it. "OMG I'm not the center of attention 24-7 and these eight other people aren't forgoing their own enjoyment in order to service me. How dare they!!!"

Those of us with experience dealing with bilingual people and being in bilingual social settings know how to handle this without flying off the rails and getting all insecure about it.

It all boils down to how long they speak it for. I assume you would think it rude if they spoke in Afrikaans all night?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 07:03:20 am »

Because making you sit there twiddling your thumbs, purposely excluding you from conversation is rude?

Why does this always happen? You're doing it again

Me: excluding others from conversation is rude

You: omg stop trying to be the focus point of conversation. You are not the centre of the universe

Like, I don't even get how you can twist what I say so completely away from my original point

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 07:05:24 am »
They wear masks, which scores of Americans refuse to do. That rates big on my politeness meter.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 07:17:07 am »
Why does this always happen? You're doing it again

For someone with so much pointless internet argument history behind them and 'street smarts', he doesn't half get triggered by another one of cyanide's crappy trolling threads. 

See another of cyanide's awful threads?

Let it slide off the first page without commenting. 

Get on with life....Leave cyanide is his pit of despair.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 09:31:57 am »
You know some people might interpret your "friendliness" as a borderline demand for them to entertain you with you presuming to sit in judgment of them should they fail to comply. In other words, the exact opposite of friendly and polite. Intrusive, overbearing, presumptuous and judgmental might be how some people view it.

hahahahaha....yeah. ..Right! Smiling and saying hello is a negative. You seem to have two major issues: argumentative simply for the sake of being contrary and obnoxious and extreme apologist leanings

You are wrong. Smiling and saying hello cannot in any way in any circumstance, barring the clearly obvious, be construed as anything but friendly.

• Swervy96
  • Adventurer

• February 08, 2019, 07:09:51 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2020, 09:48:16 am »
Jesus, every day people are crying on here about how horrible Koreans are lmao

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2020, 10:19:20 am »
This is the big meaniehead unhappyboi website. If you want sugar dust and rainbows, go to that other site

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2020, 10:21:24 am »
Jesus, every day people are crying on here about how horrible Koreans are lmao

Yeah man LOLOL should just 'f off back to their own countries' right bro ROFLOLMAOOOO
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• Swervy96
  • Adventurer

• Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:59 am »
This is the big meaniehead unhappyboi website. If you want sugar dust and rainbows, go to that other site

Too bad it's impossible to take anyone's insults here seriously. lmao

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2020, 10:46:58 am »
its like high school, you sorta get desensitized to it after a while

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2020, 10:48:26 am »
For someone with so much pointless internet argument history behind them and 'street smarts', he doesn't half get triggered by another one of cyanide's crappy trolling threads. 

See another of cyanide's awful threads?

Let it slide off the first page without commenting. 

Get on with life....Leave cyanide is his pit of despair.

Cyanea is literally the lowest-effort, lowest-quality troll account on this website. I don't get how people get so easily baited him him. Like, without fail his stupid, stupid topics always manage to generate at least two pages of people arguing with him. And his trolling isn't even funny. It's just boring.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2020, 11:13:18 am »
lmao

Seems like this dude still is at high school.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2020, 11:31:01 am »
Cyanea is literally the lowest-effort, lowest-quality troll account on this website. I don't get how people get so easily baited him him. Like, without fail his stupid, stupid topics always manage to generate at least two pages of people arguing with him. And his trolling isn't even funny. It's just boring.

Exactly.  Yesterday, this troll thread was sinking without comments, then someone replied.  Next week there will be a similarly stupid trolling effort. People who use the site often should know just to ignore his threads.

(yes, I'm replying to this thread now as it's near the top of the front page,  it will disappear soon)

• Swervy96
  • Adventurer

• Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2020, 11:33:50 am »
Seems like this dude still is at high school.

Totally dude

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2020, 12:17:52 pm »
Totally dude

Hey dude LOL quick question bro, HAHA! If someone LOL feels like they don't like LOOOOOOL the UK or the US, maybe racism or something like that LOOOOOL should they ROFL 'f off back home' LOL or should they HAHA call out whats LOL wrong? LOOOOL