Read 235180 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Is it ironic? Compared to adults, kids learn languages better and are better at learning through immersion / osmosis he said. Also, all Koreans have studied English starting from a young age and thus have a significant foundation.

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Daejeon
Since, this program was brought up. Anyone planning on taking class within the next few months should know that the books have changed. You can check out the textbooks here: https://kiipgrammar.com/resources.html

Also,  the new books now have a workbook to go along with it. I think the changes were good. The books are more up to date with current times and the teachers all have accompanying ppts to go with the books. Almost all the vocabulary words have pictures for better understanding.

Below is a coupang link. The book and workbook are 10,000 won each, for each level.
https://www.coupang.com/np/search?component=&q=KIIP&channel=user

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Is it ironic?
Don't you think?
A little too ironic, I really do think.
It's like rain on your wedding day, or a a free ride when you've already paid.

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• Daejeon

I had another friend who tried to take a course now.  But maybe out here in the provinces down south, they don't do English?  He said he went for a year on and off taking some course.  But it was all in Korean.  Complete waste of time.  He had very little Korean knowledge going in.  So, he got nothing out of it and never understood anything they were saying.  Complete utter BS waste of time.  Not sure why they are only offering the course only in Korean even if you are a beginner.  I think must do it on purpose hoping to discourage newer folks from learning Korean. 

I think the problem is that they don't have enough teachers to cater to so many languages, so they chose to make the program completely immersive. Also, even if they did, getting a specific class taught in your language would be even harder. It's already hard to get a class that fits into your schedule. However, I think classes would be better if they made the textbook in various languages. Especially because they could go over nuances and give more detailed information for grammar.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
The irony of somebody complaining about learning Korean in Korean while teaching English in English is pretty amusing.

Adults don't learn through Osmosis.  Look it up and get some common sense.  I teach children who do and also have classes in their own language with the Korean teacher. 

I had to use English books with translations to study my Korean to a base level years ago.  I didn't use a Korean book only in Korean.  It wouldn't have worked for me.  Usually when you start to introduce a new language to someone, unless they are very young children, you use that person's native language to introduce it.  DUH!!!

Maybe I have to repeat myself since you're not getting it.  My friend who took one of these courses over the past year didn't learn anything from it because they instructor spoke only Korean the whole time.  Your Korean has to be at a base level before you can do that.  I prob could do that, but a rookie beginner adult can't.  It's just common sense. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
I think the problem is that they don't have enough teachers to cater to so many languages, so they chose to make the program completely immersive. Also, even if they did, getting a specific class taught in your language would be even harder. It's already hard to get a class that fits into your schedule. However, I think classes would be better if they made the textbook in various languages. Especially because they could go over nuances and give more detailed information for grammar.

Don't most foreigners here including from non native countries use English as a second language or a linga franca?  I know it wouldn't work for everyone, but the most common languages could be done.  They did do it years ago. 

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Adults don't learn through Osmosis.  Look it up and get some common sense.  I teach children who do and also have classes in their own language with the Korean teacher. 

I had to use English books with translations to study my Korean to a base level years ago.  I didn't use a Korean book only in Korean.  It wouldn't have worked for me.  Usually when you start to introduce a new language to someone, unless they are very young children, you use that person's native language to introduce it.  DUH!!!

Maybe I have to repeat myself since you're not getting it.  My friend who took one of these courses over the past year didn't learn anything from it because they instructor spoke only Korean the whole time.  Your Korean has to be at a base level before you can do that.  I prob could do that, but a rookie beginner adult can't.  It's just common sense. 
No, you're right. I don't disagree with you at all.
But the irony of it is still pretty tasty!

• buckybee
  • Veteran

• Daejeon
Don't most foreigners here including from non native countries use English as a second language or a linga franca?  I know it wouldn't work for everyone, but the most common languages could be done.  They did do it years ago. 

I mean they probably do but it doesn't mean they're particularity good at it. It may cause more confusion. Also, for an immigration program I think it best to be all inclusive instead of "most" inclusive. That being said, there could be changes. More access to information that is provided by the government in various languages rather then having it be sink or swim without a paddle.

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
No, you're right. I don't disagree with you at all.
But the irony of it is still pretty tasty!

Yeah, you're right about that.  Ha ha,