Read 16902 times

• jejusiii
  • Adventurer

• October 14, 2010, 12:30:48 pm
    • south korea
left gas stove on all day
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »
Random post, feel like a retard even posting this but I'm really curious.

Has anyone ever left their gas stove on all day?  How much did that run you?

Those sunny side up eggs this morning were probably the most expensive of my life.

Re: left gas stove on all day
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:57 pm »
Never left the stove on but have left the gas on a few times after having a shower leaving the floor heating to heat my room all day. My gas bill was 64, 000 won last month after doing this maybe 3-4 times. I have no idea if I can turn the floor heating part off when using the gas to heat the shower. Its kinda annoying.

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:18 pm »
You mean that nozzle where you can cut gas to the burner?  I never turn it off.  My gas is cheap.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

• jejusiii
  • Adventurer

• October 14, 2010, 12:30:48 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:16:49 pm »
Naw I always leave that on too... I mean like the fire on the stove was literally burning all day

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:26:08 pm »
count your chickens your place didn't burn down.  Think about how much that would have cost!  Cheer up.
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:29:50 pm »
I think I left the gas nozzle turned on for most of the day once at my old place, but I don't really remember it making my gas bill skyrocket. My gas bill mostly skyrockets during the wintertime when it's freezing and I always have my heat turned on, but that's about it.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:43:41 pm »
My gas is crazy expensive. If I left mine on all day, it would more than double. I turn my gas off totally during non-use and I save cut the bill in half.

• epm222
  • Waygookin

• May 18, 2011, 08:43:04 pm
    • koweeah
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:16:16 pm »
i fell asleep with my gas on medium about 6 weeks ago. as mentioned before i stopped worrying about the money and started being  grateful i wasnt a charred corpse. but seeing that you started a thread : P my gas just under doubled to 40,000. it cost me about 15 bucks basically.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:54 pm »
If that happened at my apartment, I know my place would burn and collapse on itself within the first 30 minutes.

• mishell
  • Explorer

• October 04, 2010, 11:41:52 am
    • pusan, south korea
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:15:53 pm »
consider yourself lucky..

• mdowie
  • Explorer

• March 28, 2011, 03:35:32 pm
    • Asan
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 10:17:36 pm »
Firstly you've probably had a lucky escape.

Secondly, dont worry about the money aspect cos I too have had a similar lucky escape previously and didn't notice any huge gaping financial hole:)

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »
Firstly you've probably had a lucky escape.

Secondly, dont worry about the money aspect cos I too have had a similar lucky escape previously and didn't notice any huge gaping financial hole:)

I'm wondering why? Is it suddenly going to ignite the air?  :)

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 08:09:18 am »

I'm wondering why? Is it suddenly going to ignite the air?  :)

Depending on the size of the apartment and available ventilation, asphyxiation is a factor.  You can die from being in an enclosed space with a high concentration of the gas -- for example, ol' Sylvia Plath with her head in the oven, people who leave their cars running in the garage, etc.   I don't know how long it would take in a typical EPIK apartment though...
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:05 am »
Well according to CSI Las Vegas, if the gas is left on (no flame), a simple trigger like the fridge's motor clicking on can spark the end of any one-room domicile...Grissom would be so proud of me!
You get what you give :)

• wotsit2004
  • Explorer

• March 10, 2011, 12:08:29 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 08:18:35 am »
When I first arrived in Korea my co-teacher incorrectly told me that my heating bill was at a fixed rate, so I left it on a lot. I paid about 75,000KRW per month. Anyway, it's not the end of the world. Live and learn!

• Plaswuff
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2011, 02:36:06 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21:35 am »
I got in one night after more than a few, stuck the gas stove on to boil some water, thought I'd just go lie down while the water boiled, woke up at six to find the water gone (no doubt boiled into nothingness). I felt like a retard.

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 08:28:41 am »
Naw I always leave that on too... I mean like the fire on the stove was literally burning all day

Hahaha !! Sorry, but that totally sounds like something I would do!!!  Ermmm well I don't think you'll be bankrupt... but it would've burned a bit of gas there...  What was your bill last month?  I agree with the others, just count yourself lucky...

• johnkim
  • Adventurer

• January 10, 2011, 12:22:39 am
    • Pohang Korea
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 08:53:47 am »
Hey waygook,
Just thought I can give you guys some facts on the gas bill system....

1)  If you leave the nozzle OPEN for the stove, it may be dangerous    :'(

- there have been a few incidents where people forgot to close the nozzle.
      Now most of the time, it's fine, but sometimes when the gas stove gets old, gas may leak from the stove slowly and eventually fill up your kitchen/house with gas.

- So becareful when you leave your nozzle open all day long.

2)  Water / Underfloor heating Issues

- There are usually three buttons on the thermometer of your house.

One button is for underfloor heating / water,  another is just for water,  and another one is for "timed" activation.

The one with heating / water is usually called  "온돌"
The one with just water is called  "온수"
The one with "timed" activation is  "예약"

Anyhow, i hope this helps reduce your gas bills.
it's a bitch sometimes... Even though it's surprisingly a lot cheaper than Canada I find... my family used to pay 300 at least per month...

• DevilMogun
  • Super Waygook

• October 17, 2010, 08:11:46 pm
    • Namhae, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 09:42:59 am »
I live in a house which has a gas bottle that lives outside.  There was a half bottle there when I moved in and I've bought one new one since - and I've just had my one year anniversary there and I do a lot of cooking.  The bottle cost around 30,000 delivered. 

On the other hand I have a fuel (kerosene I think) boiler for hot water and underfloor heating and I have inadvertently left that on all day when I went out.  Not dangerous, but my bank account certainly gets burnt to a crisp when I do that.
"She lacks the indefinable charm of weakness" Oscar Wilde

• pinkynj
  • Waygookin

• April 10, 2011, 10:07:34 pm
    • korea
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50:03 am »
OP, you are lucky you're here to tell the tale!  I have to agree with other posters that the cost of running the burner that evening really is the least of your worries.

I don't imagine you will suffer in terms of cost. Perhaps put a side 30,000 just in case your bill is considerably higher than usual.

Re leaving the gas nozzle switched on; I am as paranoid  as they come!! I always sleep with window ajar for fear of gas poisoning (no offence but I'm not used to the Korean way of gas meters, coils, etc being left exposed- a little barbaric).

OP, and others, please be very careful.