Read 2201 times

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Just informed that my principal would like to have a two week summer camp during our shortened two week vacation.  I had been operating under the assumption that we would just forgo camp altogether considering the circumstances.  How's your public school dealing with camps?  I'd be really surprised if this is the norm. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Holding a 2 week camp over the 2 week summer vacation. What?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 01:39:30 pm »
In my region, cancelled summer camps seem to be the norm, based on talking to people here. I've only heard of 1 school in the province that was going to do it but, the foreign teacher came forth publicly on the facebook page for our region asking about peoples summer camps, and after an overwhelming amount said they are basically cancelled, I think their school ended up cancelling summer camp themselves.
Forgot to add, there are only 11 vacation days this summer, at least for my school, I have 11 vacation days remaining and am on an august contract. So remember, vacation time comes first if you are in a similar situation; or you can use vacation during the semester now, so the schools will have to give up something; vacation time is typically better.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:41:20 pm by Kayos »

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 01:44:41 pm »
3 Weeks of school vacation. 1 week of camp, 2 weeks of my vacation. I have 12 days left until August 25th.

Don't you want your vacation time? Or you worried about rocking the boat?
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 01:56:23 pm »
I'll get my vacation time in bits and pieces starting next week and into July with some three day and five day weekends based around the schedule, but I was looking forward to having a nice two week run of not even thinking about school or dealing with the morning commute.  Just surprised that looking at a two week vacation someone would be ok with scheduling a two week camp.  Just wanted to get a feel for what other schools were doing. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 02:09:50 pm »
Just informed that my principal would like to have a two week summer camp during our shortened two week vacation.  I had been operating under the assumption that we would just forgo camp altogether considering the circumstances.  How's your public school dealing with camps?  I'd be really surprised if this is the norm. 

Provincial education office says we must be allowed to take our vacations in summer and winter though we can shift days from one to the other.  So, if I want to take 5 days or 10 days, it is my right to do so.  Take 5 days and shift rest to winter for this year.  Tell them you'll do one week.  It's in the contract that you can take some time off in summer. 

I will have a 3 day camp with 2 days deskwarming and the next week vacation.  Then another 3 days deskwarming and back to school.  First 2 and a half weeks of August are school vacay for me. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:12:07 pm by hangook77 »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 02:22:08 pm »
Provincial education office says we must be allowed to take our vacations in summer and winter though we can shift days from one to the other.  So, if I want to take 5 days or 10 days, it is my right to do so.  Take 5 days and shift rest to winter for this year.  Tell them you'll do one week.  It's in the contract that you can take some time off in summer. 

I will have a 3 day camp with 2 days deskwarming and the next week vacation.  Then another 3 days deskwarming and back to school.  First 2 and a half weeks of August are school vacay for me.

Yeah, vacation days can be used at either vacation now. But, if you are on an august contract, you need to use all your days before the end date: because they won't roll over to the next contract, and they won't get paid out too.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 02:25:29 pm »
My school (Seoul) has 3 weeks of vacation, but I will be spending 2 weeks doing telephone camp as the budget (and all other camps) were cut, so this way it doesn't cost much. Also preparing an online phonics lesson.
I have 9 days remaining for my vacation, but only 5 days can be used for vacay. My extra week for renewal is the only time that won't expire, so I'll be taking half days during those 2 camp weeks. Pretty lousy.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 02:30:28 pm »
My school (Seoul) has 3 weeks of vacation, but I will be spending 2 weeks doing telephone camp as the budget (and all other camps) were cut, so this way it doesn't cost much. Also preparing an online phonics lesson.
I have 9 days remaining for my vacation, but only 5 days can be used for vacay. My extra week for renewal is the only time that won't expire, so I'll be taking half days during those 2 camp weeks. Pretty lousy.

I thought the renewal vacation days got slashed at the start of the year, all around Korea. :O
What is telephone camp? :o

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 02:45:44 pm »
I thought the renewal vacation days got slashed at the start of the year, all around Korea. :O
What is telephone camp? :o
I'm not sure... this is just what I was told is that the 7 extra days (including weekend) must be used consecutively and can be used 6 months into the next contract. As for my 9 days, they will expire by 8/24, so I can only use 5 days for the 3rd week of vacation and the remaining 4 can be used for days where I have no in-class or I can leave for 8 half days.

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 02:50:12 pm »
Your principal sounds like a royal dick, tbh. Imagine the gall it takes to straight up cancel someone's vacation just because you can.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 05:20:40 pm »
i would usually suggest pulling the "oops, already booked my holiday, soz" card...but it's not like you can use this excuse now.

either way i'd drag my feet over this and cause a stink. i suppose you'd have to do social distancing during camp..so, uh, just say you'd have to do a worksheet camp or something. it's not like students should be working in groups or moving out of their seats.

• Samrey
  • Adventurer

• September 07, 2017, 11:31:36 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 08:09:08 am »
We have a 4 week vacation as far as I can tell. I have to do online camp. 2 camps in the same week. (3rd/4th)  So one week doing camps and about 3 weeks off. I was annoyed about online camp at first but it might work out better.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 09:49:08 am »
I have made it clear this is a sh*tty thing to do, and my co-teacher is going to again go to the principal and say I'm pissed about it.  Another teacher said to wait until Wednesday's meeting to see when the schedule is set, but telling me I can use random days in July to block together a couple of long weekends doesn't really cut it for me.  I want at least a full week off.  I expected two, but the effort to give me zero is really a dick move.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 09:55:57 am »
Agreed. It's not unreasonable to state this. One week off and some long weekends would be reasonable.

This is something to stand your ground on for sure.

Korean teachers will get a break, you need one too.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 10:44:28 am »
OnNut, are you the only teacher doing this, maybe with your co-teacher?  Or are other teachers doing 'camp' as well?

If it's only you, and if I were you, I'd be saying I'd do a week and that's it.  This doesn't come under the contractual 'smooth operation' of the school to completely dismiss your holiday.  Elementary schools are more notorious for pulling stuff like this, as you're more of a summer time babysitter.   

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 11:38:23 am »
No camps the last couple of years, luckily.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 11:42:58 am »
OnNut, are you the only teacher doing this, maybe with your co-teacher?  Or are other teachers doing 'camp' as well?

If it's only you, and if I were you, I'd be saying I'd do a week and that's it.  This doesn't come under the contractual 'smooth operation' of the school to completely dismiss your holiday.  Elementary schools are more notorious for pulling stuff like this, as you're more of a summer time babysitter.   

I heard mention of the new P trying to get some other teachers to do 2 week camps but I believe they may be splitting it up one week each and of course, have the ability to just go home after.  I would have to use vacation time for that. 

I guess what I'm wondering is if I choose not to take 10 random days in July can they actually not provide me with any opportunity to take vacation during the school break?  I may take a long weekend but I'm not going to break up vacation days just because I don't have a class on a particular day.  In my tenth year of public schools (elementary and middle) and I have never had an issue getting my vacation time.  Obviously this year is different but we still need a summer break. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 12:10:27 pm »
Yeah, vacation days can be used at either vacation now. But, if you are on an august contract, you need to use all your days before the end date: because they won't roll over to the next contract, and they won't get paid out too.

Yes, so the OP if he has an August contract, must be allowed to use his vacation days before August 25th.  It's the law.  He can call the provincial education office or the labor board.  The principal is breaking the law unless they will arrange to carry over the days to next winter and you are all in agreement with it.  Otherwise, he can't do it.  I would kindly remind him of that if it were me.  Either let me carry the days over or let me use them all up.  If they want to be dicks and non renew my contract, there are other countries to teach in with more saving potential than here nowadays (As EPIK hasn't raised the salaries in quite a while and SEOUL SMOE actually has thier teachers on poverty wages and no renewal allowance.  Pay me more to put up with your bullshit or I'll put my foot down and move on.   I'm an experienced English teacher, I can get  a contract in another country with better work conditions and pay.)

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 12:13:16 pm »
I have made it clear this is a sh*tty thing to do, and my co-teacher is going to again go to the principal and say I'm pissed about it.  Another teacher said to wait until Wednesday's meeting to see when the schedule is set, but telling me I can use random days in July to block together a couple of long weekends doesn't really cut it for me.  I want at least a full week off.  I expected two, but the effort to give me zero is really a dick move.

You can still carry one week over to next winter, then?  Use one week now?  Stick to your guns on a week, at least.  I would.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 12:19:40 pm »
...and I have never had an issue getting my vacation time.  Obviously this year is different but we still need a summer break. 

Same here for the first part.  There has never been an issue like this that hasn't been solved by sensible discussion, but I wouldn't buy the 'this is different' in these circumstances.  If other teachers can do a week and then have a week off, then why shouldn't you?  Summer camps are sign up anyway.  Say you can do a week.  Your co-teacher collects numbers for that time.  You get your week off.  Sometimes it takes a bit of showing your displeasure to a principal through your co-teacher to realise they had a crap idea and to backtrack a bit.  If he's making other teachers do it, he'll be mightily unpopular very quickly.  Maybe because he's new, he wants to show to the parents/teachers he's committed to the student's learning by providing free classes/baby sitting in the summer.