Read 938 times

• Howard Moon
  • Adventurer

• September 16, 2019, 09:31:46 pm
    • Busan, Korea
Is marking homework at elementary school normal?
« on: June 22, 2020, 08:13:32 am »
I have a new co-teacher this year. She has started asking me to help with marking homework (me marking most of it). Looking at my vague contract, this falls within the duties that I may have to perform. The problem I have with this is that my other two co-teachers as well as the 4 other co-teachers that I have worked with before never asked me to help with marking homework. I know I can't do anything about this but it does make me wonder what this co-teacher does with her time in the afternoon given that I prepare all of the class materials.
Is marking homework quite normal?

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Is marking homework at elementary school normal?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:24:21 am »
It wasn't when I was at an elementary. In fact, I've never had to mark homework. Period. :p
I've had a few instances where students have told me about some English test, on the day of, at the start of the class, that I knew nothing about - so didn't do it that lesson. But never have been asked  to mark homework here. :o

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:34:35 am »
I mark the homework I assign, and I've been asked to help mark midterms and finals for middle school and secondary school classes, but never in primary.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 10:34:23 am »
I mark the homework I assign, and I've been asked to help mark midterms and finals for middle school and secondary school classes, but never in primary.
You assign homework? I honestly didn't know we're allowed to do that.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 10:46:27 am »

My thoughts exactly haha.
I've been told, my role is basically speaking practice - while you could try assign homework that involves them speaking, they likely wouldn't even do it anyway haha.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 10:54:14 am »

It's up to the school. Most of them won't allow it, or at least they won't let any homework assigned by the NET affect any of the students' grades, so students aren't really motivated to complete any of it anyway.

My schools don't want me to assign any real homework, but I can permit or require students to take home projects that they may be behind on so that they'll have more time to complete them before our next class.

Part of me wishes my schools would let me assign real homework that would count against students' grades, but part of me is also glad that I don't have to worry about grading, lol. It's such a time sink.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:54:19 am »
I teach at the same rural primary school on Thursdays and Fridays.
I only teach grade 5 and 6, so I end up teaching the same class 3 times a week, which turns out is their allotted English lesson time. As their homeroom teachers don't usually stick around when I get there, I'm effectively their only English teacher this year. So homework it is! Yay!
   But I try to make it the fun kind, usually.

Also, teaching grade 5 is hard enough, but teaching them for 2 hours in a row without a working computer or co-teacher, having to wear a masks that cover up facial expressions and muffle voices *and* teaching during a period of time where students leaving their desks, pair-work, group-work, or any kind of interaction at all is strictly verbotten is realllllllly hard.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 10:56:13 am »
I teach at the same rural primary school on Thursdays and Fridays.
I only teach grade 5 and 6, so I end up teaching the same class 3 times a week, which turns out is their allotted English lesson time. As their homeroom teachers don't usually stick around when I get there, I'm effectively their only English teacher this year. So homework it is! Yay!
   But I try to make it the fun kind, usually.

Also, teaching grade 5 is hard enough, but teaching them for 2 hours in a row without a working computer or co-teacher, having to wear a masks that cover up facial expressions and muffle voices *and* teaching during a period of time where students leaving their desks, pair-work, group-work, or any kind of interaction at all is strictly verbotten is realllllllly hard.

Since when is there "fun homework"? :p

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 11:08:36 am »
When it's homework that I myself don't have to do!
Every time they complain, I haul my Korean study books out of my bag and slam them on my desktop and show them the insane amount of writing I have to do. Then I cry a little bit, the students get bored and wander off, and we're all left feeling slightly ashamed for having raised the topic. Win-win.

Actually, assigning homework sucks when you have to mark it yourself. During online lessons, I had all the students make 30 second flip-grid videos answering some questions I posed them in my lesson video. I thought it was all interactive, tech-savvy, and hip until I realised that I had just obligated myself towards watching 200 very awkward 30 second videos of students answering "Who is important to you and why?", recording a grade, and making a response video that didn't include me rolling my eyes or snickering unkindly. Pure torture. Of course, I did it again the next week.  Live and don't learn!  :smiley:

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 01:51:24 pm »
Schools can ask but most don't thankfully. 

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 03:23:19 pm »
My students never had english homework when I was teaching elementary.....mayb e the only assignment they ever had was one to write a hello note to me after I got there......i had one student beg me for homework...so I gave her journals and such and did not mind grading that because it made me smile.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 11:42:26 am »
I worked with one co-teacher at an elementary that was a contract teacher that had come straight out of a hakwan where she was one of the "teachers" that gave the kids lunch and packed their bags.  She was eager to impress as this job was a huge step up so she assigned her grade 6 students writing assignments.    She asked me to help her and correct the writing.  Only short assignments but five classes of around thirty kids is a lot of tedious work.  This was not something we did during our class time but solely something she was doing in her class time.  I did it a few times but I started to realise she wasn't bothering to convey to the students the common mistakes I was finding because they never fixed them.  She was just assigning the work and then handing back these corrected notebooks to make her look good.  I was doing the hard work.  I helped her a couple more times making sure to write my name at the end of the page so if anyone looked it would seem as if they were coming from me.  But one day when she just dropped a stack of books on my desk with just a smile I understood it was now a given to her that the books were marked by me.  It wasn't me helping her out as she was busy that week.  So, I just told her I didn't have time anymore to keep doing it, if she needed help sometime I would see if I could try, but this was her lesson and she was responsible for it.  It had nothing to do with me.  It was one of the classic Korean do me a favour once, I'll keep asking again and again.  Unless, it comes down from on high, your co-teachers can't just assign you duties on a whim.  That power comes from the P and V-P.  This contract teacher had less sway than me in the English department.  Kids were bored silly in her classes. 

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 02:22:42 pm »
I assign homework at my middle school. Last year, my co-teacher even got me access to the school's points system, where they give and take away points to the students and classes, so if they don't do the work I can actually take behavior points away for it. I don't really use the system, but it is nice to know that I have it and it does give the students more of a reason to actually do my assignments (I also award the best classes a pizza party at the end of the semester, which is really why they do the work. We all know it.). This year, with the virus and everything, I started using Flipgrid to get the students practicing their speaking for homework, and it's worked really well. The students have, surprisingly, been practicing their speaking on the site and have found workarounds so their faces aren't shown, which makes them more comfortable.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 01:06:53 am »
I had homework back in elementary school on Canada in the 1970's.

English, math, science, social studies, heck even music (I had to write FIVE pages in my notebook on a classical composer - I chose Liszt - It was a month-long task).

Maybe I should thank my school for making my B.A. and M.A. program seem like a piece of cake.