Read 3034 times

Re: Why do they sell boiled eggs?
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2020, 02:50:10 pm »
I mean, given the degree to which Abrahamic faiths have impacted the world, and the disproportional effect that people of Jewish descent have had on the course of human affairs, particularly in science, economics, the arts, law, etc., on the surface you might say there is something there. I mean, when you look at it, it is absolutely staggering how much people of Jewish descent have impacted everything throughout history. Not even the British or the Greeks punch that much above their weight.

God's Chosen People? I don't know, but well, they do kind of have the receipts.....

Depends on your perspective.

If you believe being pious reaps rewards in this life then you'd have a strong case, but each of the Abrahamic faiths emphasizes the belief in an afterlife and that the actions of this life will determine our existence in the afterlife.
From an Islamic perspective, material rewards can be a blessing, a test a curse or a combination of the three. The first thing many rich people abandon is their humility and faith. Muslims are taught that at times, God deprives you of certain material things to bring you closer. In some instances, you're blessed with material things for being a good person. There's really no way to understand what/why you'll be blessed with something and if/when it will be taken away.

To Muslims, this life is a test.

Stepping away from Theology. Christianity and Islam have a long history of being involved in conquest across nations, some violent and some not. To this day, I hear about many people embracing Islam or Christianity later in life. Judaism stands apart in these regards. I don't recall any occasion in history where Jews looked to spread their beliefs to other countries and people. I don't recall many people converting to Judaism either. Not sure if it's the same where I'm from, but in Cape Town, the Jewish community is quite insular and favour doing business with other Jewish people... hey, Muslims in CT do this too, nothing wrong with it, but this brings my to my next point.

So, where Islam and Christianity encompasses the richest sheiks, televangelists; the poorest villagers and everyone in-between across many nations, the Jewish community remains rather insular, where power and money then tends to be passed down through generations and remain within the community.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:52:09 pm by Aristocrat »

« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2020, 02:50:35 pm »

OK so 'I think eating these lemons will stop me getting cancer', ha ha what an idiot. 'I think eating these lemons will get me to heaven', Yeah, respect dude.  As long as someone wrote a book about it once.
The person in question wasn't making a claim as to the spiritual qualities of lemons. Nor is Aristocrat doubting that citrus/Vitamin C has health benefits. His sole claim was a medical/nutritional one- That eating of mass quantities of lemons while being physically out of shape and medically obese will probably not yield the predicted health benefits. Neither he, nor the person in question were claiming lemons get you into heaven or are sinful.

Any view Aristocrat may or may not have on pork are related to spiritual prohibitions on it for spiritual reasons, not to pork's efficacy as an anti-carcinogen as revealed to any religious figures and assumed as having been revealed by a Divine Entity to that religious figure and now believed by him.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:01:21 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2020, 03:06:50 pm »
Yes, I was summarizing the gist of what he said and cutting out all the overlong explanations and words. Kind of like what you were doing here.

"ARISTOCRAT HOW DARE YOU!!!! YOU PRACTICE IS-LAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aristocrat: "I think the Clippers will win 4 games to 2."
Stoat: "Did Allah tell you that????"

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:25:18 pm by stoat »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2020, 04:21:19 pm »
I saw that movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_(2020_film)
I knew you'd catch that one!
I was gonna reference Franklin's doomed polar expedition, but I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned opening a book. ;D

Also, that's the wrong wiki link.  :laugh:

Ethan Hawke looks different in the poster.
Hungrier.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:27:18 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2020, 04:50:00 pm »
I saw that movie.

Isnít all this talk about lemons and walruses and human flesh and starvation making you the least bit hungry, CO2?

« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2020, 04:59:08 pm »
I knew you'd catch that one!
I was gonna reference Franklin's doomed polar expedition, but I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned opening a book. ;D
No shoutout for my reference to that?  :sad: Okay Kyndo I see how it is.

I'll be sure to gift you a bunch of tinned food, prepared by the lowest bidder.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2020, 09:55:48 pm »
I mean, given the degree to which Abrahamic faiths have impacted the world, and the disproportional effect that people of Jewish descent have had on the course of human affairs, particularly in science, economics, the arts, law, etc., on the surface you might say there is something there. I mean, when you look at it, it is absolutely staggering how much people of Jewish descent have impacted everything throughout history. Not even the British or the Greeks punch that much above their weight.

God's Chosen People? I don't know, but well, they do kind of have the receipts.....

I'd be very wary of talking in these terms about 'non-oppressed' groups, since the current popular view is that the only reason predominantly white groups in history achieved any form of success was due to slavery and colonisation.   You might think the Jews get a pass but that is changing rapidly day by day. They have been omitted from lists of groups that require special status in the UK recently and Western populations are fast forgetting the holocaust, while  focusing on the Atlantic Slave trade more and more. The kind of talk above will soon, if not already, bar you from an academic post in the UK or US. Of course, you're allowed/encouraged to big up Muslims all you want.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/04/12/two-thirds-of-millennials-dont-know-what-auschwitz-is-according-to-study-of-fading-holocaust-knowledge/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:07:54 am by stoat »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2020, 10:26:45 pm »
I saw that movie.

I read the book as a teenager.
It was on my parents bookshelf.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2020, 07:21:15 am »
No shoutout for my reference to that?  :sad: Okay Kyndo I see how it is.

I'll be sure to gift you a bunch of tinned food, prepared by the lowest bidder.
omg, deepest apologies. I missed that, somehow!
By the way, Dan Simmons, author of the book the movie was loosely based on also wrote the absolutely awesome Hyperion and Endymion series. Would super recommend.

Also, make it pineapple. I need more for the next batch of pizzas!

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2020, 07:53:21 am »
I'd be very wary of talking in these terms about 'non-oppressed' groups, since the current popular view is that the only reason predominantly white groups in history achieved any form of success was due to slavery and colonisation.   You might think the Jews get a pass but that is changing rapidly day by day. They have been omitted from lists of groups that require special status in the UK recently and Western populations are fast forgetting the holocaust, while  focusing on the Atlantic Slave trade more and more. The kind of talk above will soon, if not already, bar you from an academic post in the UK or US. Of course, you're allowed/encouraged to big up Muslims all you want.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/04/12/two-thirds-of-millennials-dont-know-what-auschwitz-is-according-to-study-of-fading-holocaust-knowledge/

Rewrite history.  It is how the Commies took over their countries.  Take down statues and pit people against each other.  Divide people in order to conquer and rule them.  Oldest trick in the book and people are falling for it hook line and sinker. 

The holocaust was real and some far left idiots calling Trump supporters Nazis cheapens the word.  I have yet to see millions of people mass exterminated by the bulk majority of Trump supporters.  Complete BS and morons who don't know what fascism really is. 

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2020, 07:57:58 am »
omg, deepest apologies. I missed that, somehow!
By the way, Dan Simmons, author of the book the movie was loosely based on also wrote the absolutely awesome Hyperion and Endymion series. Would super recommend.

Also, make it pineapple. I need more for the next batch of pizzas!

Now, if we are talking about pizzas, I would love to find one of those Kraft box set make your own pizzas.  Those were awesome.  Made those as a kid and a kid in college with friends.  (Though a friends mom told us never to go into the pizza business ourselves.)  I wish they sold them here.  Coupang wants to charge 40K for one.  Sometimes coupang has great prices and deals.  Other times, they are off the deep end and crazy. 

https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/322611489?itemId=1033367207&vendorItemId=5483511825&q=kraft+pizza&itemsCount=36&searchId=31905a0bd5164d0490bb29f4c52959be&rank=27&isAddedCart=

If they'd knock the price way down, it would be awesome.  Make your own easily and put your own toppings on.  No sugar, no corn, etc.

• 745sticky
  • Expert Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2020, 08:09:08 am »
Now, if we are talking about pizzas, I would love to find one of those Kraft box set make your own pizzas.  Those were awesome.  Made those as a kid and a kid in college with friends.  (Though a friends mom told us never to go into the pizza business ourselves.)  I wish they sold them here.  Coupang wants to charge 40K for one.  Sometimes coupang has great prices and deals.  Other times, they are off the deep end and crazy. 

https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/322611489?itemId=1033367207&vendorItemId=5483511825&q=kraft+pizza&itemsCount=36&searchId=31905a0bd5164d0490bb29f4c52959be&rank=27&isAddedCart=

If they'd knock the price way down, it would be awesome.  Make your own easily and put your own toppings on.  No sugar, no corn, etc.

I'll stick with my Pepperoni pizza lunchables (not that I can find them here, although I haven't checked online)

Speaking of Kraft, the big E-mart near me stopped stocking (or ran out) of Kraft Mac and Cheese. Probably a net positive for my overall health but definitely a hit to my mental state

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2020, 08:11:25 am »
We just make them entirely from scratch. Make them bulk, and it turns out to be about 8000-1000 won per pizza, and we load them with some decent ingredients! Stick them in the freezer, and presto! Can just shove one in the oven when feeling lazy.  :smiley:
Takes about an hour to prep around ten full sized pizzas (most of it making the dough).