Read 2116 times

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Erasing the past is insane.
« on: June 16, 2020, 09:14:26 am »
All these people tearing down statues and banning books and flags have got it all wrong. Ironically, they tend to espouse free speech and self-identify as liberals, but they are absolutely neither. Keep all and educate.

Golda said it with wisdom.

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
Re: Erasing the past is insane.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 10:10:26 am »
True, instead of tearing them down they should be moved to museums.

Banning books doesn't really work in the internet era anyways, I'm sure I could find a pdf of whatever regardless of how the government feels about it.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 10:12:59 am »
Ever since they toppled the statue of that Genoan explorer with the wonky eyebrows, I just can't seem to remember his name. Crystal-Ferkolumbi? Christine-Colorado? Crusty-the-Clown? Crikey-there's-an-alligator?
And wiki's no help: it seems all of those articles related to him have mysteriously vanished...  :sad:

Deciding to stop venerating individuals with sordid pasts is not erasing them from history. We'll still know about them. After all, if we don't learn from the mistakes of the past, we might end up repeating them. Like Sticky says, put them in museums.

And them tearing the monument to Leopold the II last week  was looong overdue. That guy was an utter psychopath.
The only reason I'm thankful that Napolean split the Netherlands up is that we Dutchies won't take the rap for his brutality.

• McTinkle
  • Waygookin

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:48 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:22:05 am »
I've learnt more about Edward Colston in the last week than the 100+ years it stood on the plinth. The man was a monster.

All these people tearing down statues and banning books and flags have got it all wrong. Ironically, they tend to espouse free speech and self-identify as liberals, but they are absolutely neither. Keep all and educate.

No one is trying to erase the past, just understand it better and not hold up public displays of symbols of hatred. Times change.

Also if you need to invent a group of people to get mad at can I suggest a bit more imagination? Orcs for example, no one likes orcs.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 10:25:05 am »
True, instead of tearing them down they should be moved to museums.
Exactly.

Statues honor the past and flag waving keeps it alive. A museum is where all kinds of fossils belong.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 10:25:21 am »
Changing the narrative of the past is even worse. The statues that were put up were not put up as a reminder of the past atrocities but as a way to celebrate people that enslaved millions. If you want to remember the past why not actually teach the proper facts about slavery instead. People concerned about history should actually read history

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 10:29:30 am »
Also if you need... a group of people to get mad at can I suggest a bit more imagination? Orcs for example, no one likes orcs.

:sad:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:31:14 am by kyndo »

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 10:38:11 am »
When do we tear down the statues in the Middle East? You know cos slaves and stuff?

Why did we start in the least racist countries in the World?
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 10:41:04 am »
Lol! The wealth of countries like Belgium and the US (and the Netherlands, unfortunately) was literally built on a foundation of racism and slavery. That this is no longer true is entirely to their credit.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:43:19 am by kyndo »

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:03 am »
I mean, personally speaking I'm American, so I'm more concerned with stuff in America than stuff in the Middle East.

Because, like, I'm not Middle Eastern. I can't do shit about whatever is going on there. What do you want us to do, fly over there en masse and start tearing shit down? I'm sure that will go great

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:27 am »
I think this says it all.
Use code CAM7141 get 5% off at iHerb.com

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 10:47:10 am »
Lol! The wealth of countries like Belgium and the US (and the Netherlands, unfortunately) were literally built on a foundation of racism and slavery. That this is no longer true is entirely to their credit.

I mean historically speaking pretty much everything was built on a foundation of racism and slavery, even in more democratic societies like Athens that democracy only extended to actual citizens (i.e. not women and slaves)

Which is why one can make a reasonable argument for venerating people like George Washington (who did own slaves). Ultimately, while obviously his ownership of slaves was undeniably wrong, he also wasn't uniquely evil in that regard (unfortunately). What we can appreciate George Washington and the other founders for is creating a legal and ideological framework that eventually did allow for the abolition of slavery.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:59:52 am by 745sticky »

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 10:48:38 am »
So, because it is in another country it's not a problem. Under the rug innit. Just ignore it.

Y'all tearing down metal statues of people who were involved in the slave trade 100 years ago while there are still people in the World who own slaves TODAY.

Clown World.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:50:15 am by Colburnnn »

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 10:56:36 am »
So, because it is in another country it's not a problem. Under the rug innit. Just ignore it.

Y'all tearing down metal statues of people who were involved in the slave trade 100 years ago while there are still people in the World who own slaves TODAY.

Clown World.

Nobody is sweeping it under the rug.
And again, what would you propose we do about it? Start another proxy war in the Middle East? Because that's been working great so far.

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 10:57:15 am »
Not sure how Colburnnn arrived at the conclusion that someone who opposes historical slavery endorses modern slavery, just because they didn't board flights to the Middle East during a global pandemic and start ripping down statues (assuming, of course, that they would be able to locate statues of slave owners).

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 10:57:29 am »
I mean historically speaking pretty much everything was built on a foundation of racism and slavery, even in more democratic societies like Athens that democracy only extended to actual citizens (i.e. not women and slaves)

Which is why one of the arguments that you could make for venerating people like George Washington (who did own slaves). Ultimately, while obviously his ownership of slaves was undeniably wrong, he also wasn't uniquely evil in that regard (unfortunately). What we can appreciate George Washington and the other founders for is creating a legal and ideological framework that eventually did allow for the abolition of slavery.

That's true.
Washington could be seen as progressive (which is a relative term, I guess). Athens was, for its era, a haven of freedom and civility. The issue is venerating figures that perpetrated horrific atrocities (like Leopold, Columbo, Pot, or Mao), or those who weren't quite so unsavory but who were closely tied to regimes that were (like Lee, Rommel, or Yamamoto).

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 10:59:35 am »
Not sure how Colburnnn arrived at the conclusion that someone who opposes historical slavery endorses modern slavery, just because they didn't board flights to the Middle East during a global pandemic and start ripping down statues (assuming, of course, that they would be able to locate statues of slave owners).

What do you do in your day to day life to oppose modern day slavery? Nothing? Then you are complicit.

Just like if you don't do anything to tackle racism you are a racist. Right? That's how it works isn't it?

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 11:03:05 am »
What do you do in your day to day life to oppose modern day slavery? Nothing? Then you are complicit.

Just like if you don't do anything to tackle racism you are a racist. Right? That's how it works isn't it?

As an American some of my tax dollars go to the U.S. Military, which purports to fight for "freedom" in the Middle East.
Is that good enough for ya?

Also I don't get why you feel the need to set up this strawman in the first place, nobody on this thread is calling anybody here a racist. You don't have to go out and tear down statues or whatever if you don't want to.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 11:03:35 am »

Have you been taking strawman lessons from DeMartino?
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• 745sticky
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 11:04:27 am »
Have you been taking strawman lessons from DeMartino?

Delete this before it summons him