Read 540 times

A/C alternatives
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:22:51 am »
What are your best options/ideas for dealing with Korean apartments that do not have a/c, other than buying multiple fans or an expensive a/c?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: A/C alternatives
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:39:08 am »
Open every window, and door, and hopefully you get a breeze. Was once in a traditional hanok where some teacher lived in, he said he barely turned on his A/C because it was like on the bottom of some hill and got a constant breeze going which kept the place cool.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:39:57 am »
I think you answered the question yourself. Fans.

Also, curtains or blinds if you have big windows that let a lot of sun in.

Dress as lightly as possible when you're in your apartment. Windows open.

That's about all you can do.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:44:50 am »
What are your best options/ideas for dealing with Korean apartments that do not have a/c, other than buying multiple fans or an expensive a/c?

Well, you could get a non expensive A/C. Either a used one or depending on how big your place is, you could buy a small (6pyeong) wall unit from a second tier maker like Winia or Winix. They are not that expensive and worth their price. Whatever other, not proper A/C you would use, might be cheaper but also that much worse.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 10:47:12 am »
The problem is that while I have fans, I am on the 4th floor (top) of an office building and even with windows open its still way too hot. With the windows open I cannot hear myself think because of the traffic outside.

• Stefaneekaye
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2018, 11:14:30 am
    • Dangjin, South Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 11:24:24 am »
take a shoebox size plastic container, fill with water, and freeze it. Place it in front of fan as it blows - poor man's AC or otherwise how my family survived Texas in August when our AC went out.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 02:48:43 pm »
What job do you do? Your employer should pay for an AC unit. What's it say in your contract? I rented my own apartment and the principal still bought an AC for me and had it installed.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 02:54:19 pm »
take a shoebox size plastic container, fill with water, and freeze it. Place it in front of fan as it blows - poor man's AC or otherwise how my family survived Texas in August when our AC went out.

Get 2 such containers so you have one ready to go when the other one is fully spent.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 03:14:22 pm »
Why don't you have an air con? If your employer is paying for your apartment, you'd think it would be a basic appliance, along with washing machine and fridge

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 03:27:23 pm »
Why don't you have an air con? If your employer is paying for your apartment, you'd think it would be a basic appliance, along with washing machine and fridge

You would think so, but no its not part of the contract.......

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 03:47:00 pm »
You would think so, but no its not part of the contract.......
are there other teachers at school that have housing? do they have air con?

either way i'd totally recommend getting one, even second hand. gonna be a really hot summer

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
One fan + one solid block of ice in a pan = cool air all day long!

It's what my dad did for us in the 1970's and it worked well.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 05:42:46 am »
if you don't want to invest in an aircon, OP, how about getting a dehumidifier? i leave mine on all the time and when i get back from work it keeps my place pretty cool

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 06:13:13 am »
if you don't want to invest in an aircon, OP, how about getting a dehumidifier? i leave mine on all the time and when i get back from work it keeps my place pretty cool

So right!  I finally bought one last summer, and it is a game-changer!
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 07:35:33 am »
So right!  I finally bought one last summer, and it is a game-changer!
it's great for laundry, too. makes it dry very quickly. it's amazing how much water it sucks up, too- no wonder mould is so common here.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 07:50:06 am »
At school, I always have my air-conditioner on 제습 which is the dehumidifier and that does the trick.  I never have it on 내방.  Take the moisture out and it's cool. 

• 303lmc
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 08:14:29 am »
I don't have air con either and no, it's not a part of my contract. a fan is part of the contract.
I am looking at either a cooling fan or a decent dehumidifier. I think i'll just do the ice on front of the fan I already have and maybe get a bigger dehumidifier.
I also bought cooling towels (the ones for exercising) and at night i get them wet and lay them on my body to sleep. I found them on coupang for like 2500 won.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 08:18:03 am »
A dehumidifier will not substitute an A/C. It's good to use in a room that you don't stay in and don't cool. But it won't really make your living space more comfortable as it makes the place 2-3 degrees Celsius warmer easily. So you end up with dryer, but warmer air. Overall, your (dis)comfort level will be roughly the same.
An A/C will remove just as much water, you just don't see it because it goes out the pipe. And at the same time it make the place cooler as well. Two birds with one stone...
A dehumidifier will be slightly cheaper to purchase and you can put it wherever you want. But, it won't be cheaper to run and it makes some noise as well. So an A/C is the real deal, no question.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 09:00:45 am »
It's a weird situation.  I found that sleeping at night in the summer with the air-conditioner on to not be very conducive to sleep because it feels unnatural.  There are a lot of thing online about the best conditions body heat wise, body moisture wise and the humidity in the bedroom for a good nights sleep.

First of all, if the environment is too humid, the moisture within your body will be harder to evaporate. This will make you hot, and stuffy, making it harder for us to sleep comfortably.
Then comes the problem of being too dry. When your skin and breathing system gets too dry, you might get itchy throats or catch a cold. When you feel itchy, sick and irritated, you won't be able to sleep well.

In Korea, I write off the summer for sleeping properly.  Sleeping with a fan constantly on you is also not particularly nice and even then if the humidity is high then the bit not exposed to the fan, the bed side, gets damp.  The amount of times I wake up with a wet neck and pillow.  I suppose you've got to decide what's best for you.  I will say I'm quite a fussy light sleeper, and the summers sleeping in Korea, with A/C or without are always hit and miss.  Last year, I did it without buying A/C as I live on the 19th floor, so can get a breeze, but the pollution makes it more difficult to leave windows open.