Read 225 times

• bergsa
  • Newgookin

• August 19, 2019, 09:42:32 pm
    • South Korea
Help, KTX Tips?
« on: June 14, 2020, 01:36:37 pm »
Hi all, I'm moving from Yeosu to Seoul next week and will be taking one very large, very heavy suitcase with me. I expect to struggle with it because I'm not that strong, and I don't think it will fit down the aisles of the train cars themselves. Does anyone have info on which cars/entrances have larger luggage storage areas so that I can strategize how I'll be able to get it on the train with relative efficiency? I feel like I've seen a diagram of a standard KTX train's layout, but I can't find it online.

Also, yes, I've made the Yeosu-Seoul trip several times but never with this much stuff so I haven't paid attention to where the luggage areas are, it's my bad.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: Help, KTX Tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 02:02:40 pm »
Just leave it at one of the ends of the cars, they have spots for large bags. Although it's extremely doubtful anyone is going to go rummaging through your luggage, just don't leave anything too valuable in it.

• bergsa
  • Newgookin

• August 19, 2019, 09:42:32 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 02:49:55 pm »
Just leave it at one of the ends of the cars, they have spots for large bags. Although it's extremely doubtful anyone is going to go rummaging through your luggage, just don't leave anything too valuable in it.

I don't think the spots for large bags are at every car, so I'm asking if anybody has a resource on which cars have these spots.
I could just look in through different entrances when the train arrives but I'm afraid I will be too slow.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 03:37:35 pm »
I don't think the spots for large bags are at every car, so I'm asking if anybody has a resource on which cars have these spots.
I could just look in through different entrances when the train arrives but I'm afraid I will be too slow.
Buy the ticket at the counter, and ask about bag storage. Or, worst case, just stay with your bag at the end of the car. They usually have folding seats right by the door.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:50:34 pm »
Most if not all cars have storage areas for large luggage, although it's only three slots. Each slot is big enough for one large piece of luggage or several small-medium ones. Your biggest issue is other people taking up the lower two shelves, forcing you to lift your own luggage up onto the upper third shelf OR to roll it to a different car where you're not going to be seated. That, or you can sit out in the luggage area with your luggage.

So I'd advice coming in early enough to get those slots before anyone else does.

Also, there's no ramp or lift to help you get the luggage up onto the car itself, so you'll have to be prepared to struggle it up a couple of steps or to give yourself enough time to request help from one of the attendants.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:06:30 pm by Chinguetti »