Read 2102 times

English Teacher Jobs at Risk - Get Ready
« on: June 04, 2020, 08:10:24 am »
As I have suspected from months ago....I have heard from inside source about what may be unravelling, especially regarding
English teachers, in the near future.

As the students have slowly rolled back into schools, you may have noticed the schedules and classes have all changed.  We still
have very strict and rigid guidelines which may vary from school to school (public system) such as:  nobody allowed to go to english rooms, science rooms, any classrooms where they share the facility with all grades in the school.   You have to go to the homerooms (I realize half of you already do that anyways so no biggie).

Some places will have plexi glass wall dividers at every desk, no more that 2 ppl allowed to go to bathrooms at a time, every one must walk along a certain path in hallways (they divided the floors up like road traffic....right side goes one way and left side goes the other...you CANNOT CROSS the zones into oncoming human traffic because you might get coronavirus if you do that!).

Other rules such as lunch times have all been divided up so that everyone is not eating at the same time.

Also, from grade 3 and up will only come out to school for 2 days at a time, meaning 3 days they will stay at home (remember I suggested this format about 2 months ago??? and they are rolling it out now).

Now here's the part that interests English teachers.  You'll notice that some of you have this thing called "online English" in your schedules.  It doesn't mean you are teaching that class.  That means it's a component where the students stay at home and continue online english study as they have been already....whether it is using EBS system or online stuff you the english teacher have already prepared for them.

Why is this important?  Think about it.  It makes sense.   Parents have been saying how they noticed how good some of the EBS english programs are and the kids enjoy it and even want to meet those instructors (they've become popularized like celebrities like PENGU or something like that....and I suggested this also months ago that you'd only need 12 really awesome content creators and get rid of the 4,000 english teachers who are useless right now and just keep on about 1,000).

Parents then also start asking, do we even need english teachers like before?  They are more and more open to the idea of changing how English is being taught and reducing the need for actual english teachers and moving over to a more online format with social events and activities to be scheduled in throughout the year.   This is also making people realize more and more that all this online educations IS NOT SO BAD after all.  It's actually quite good and even better.   This is what I said 2 months ago about schools being overrated (see my thread).

So if students are back in school now and yet we are still continuing this online component....why do you think that is?  Think about it.  Yes, now you see what is happening?  Unbeknownst to most of you out there, they are actually doing a BETA TEST run, an experiment if you will, to see if continuing the online program vs actual english teaching classes are more viable option.   They are going to test this for several more weeks and see how it goes.   What this means is, expect more cuts and reduction in english teachers starting next year.   Once they realize how schools really are overrated (parents and education board), they will be more open to the idea of transitioning a lot of the education into this online platform and format.

This means we'll have a reduction in our roles which would also mean less need to keep a full-time english teacher around just deskwarming for 95% of the time.

Also due to the economy and all the problems that are going to hit the world after covid19 slows down or goes away (which it won't...it will re-occur again as a major issue in the winter so this isn't going to end anytime soon), budget cuts, budget restraints, and lack of funding is going to mean they need to find ways to slash payroll and English will be the first to go because this online stuff is working really well.

There you go.  You heard it from me.  I know some of you think I was over the top about all this way back in February/March but as you can see, my predictions are bang on.  I haven't been wrong yet.   I made my prediction for the rest of the year and next year also.   Watch this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:14:28 am by fruitloops »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: English Teacher Jobs at Risk - Get Ready
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 08:13:18 am »
For your next trick how about some winning lottery numbers??

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:16:22 am »
For your next trick how about some winning lottery numbers??

I've tried it already :(

Unfortunately my powers do not go that far LOL.

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:30:25 am »
Right, but one of the reasons we are here is for the exposure to foreign nationals. It is a chance for the students to converse with us on a daily basis, slowly improving confidence regarding their english speaking skills.

Watching a video of PENGU speaking in tongues a couple of times a week is not going to achieve the same thing.

Though I do agree jobs will be cut and online classes increased.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:36:24 am »
Although you are probably right for the long term, I would not say you are 100% correct about the present ...... we are still continuing the online components because the students are still not at school 100% of the time, but they are still required to have a certain number of days "in school"  not because they want to test out online English specifically....... the students are doing online everything......and many of the native English teachers are creating materials for online class as well.......yes in the future when the system is better there may be less teachers here, at least in person, there still will be though...and there may be some who end up creating online materials.....but cutting all English teachers and moving to a format like EBS does not allow any room for flexibility, real interaction, role plays, games, pronunciation etc like in person does. It would mean each school has to have almost exactly the same curriculum......

Yes, parents may like online class but they will still send their kids to hagwon and they still do look favorably on schools with a net, appearance? maybe but still ....maybe parents and students don't think they benefit from nets .....ok.....so then why do they do so many study abroad programs to learn English?? The importance is there for them to learn from native speakers, but they also want to save money and add in some not so favorable attitudes towards foreigners taking koreans jobs....means reductions in nets....and then increases again down the road...Korea has always done this in cycles......depends on the president and the provincial officials.......esp ecially look at rural areas that even hire their own nets because they arent provided one through a program like epik or another recruiting body.....

so you are right to an extent but I don't think its game over right now.......maybe nets are used in a different way, and maybe not even on Korean soil......but they will be around because pronunciation and actual normal conversation is important........th e textbooks we use these days don't cut it for normal english

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:58 am »
Why does Fruit Loops preface everything as if he predicted things that everyone has acknowledged or mentioned previously?   From Joe Rogan, Elon Musk and everyone on this board.  Fruit Loops just repeats ad nauseum things already being talked about as if it were some kind of revelation. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 09:08:09 am »
As I have suspected from months ago....I have heard from inside source about what may be unravelling, especially regarding
English teachers, in the near future.

As the students have slowly rolled back into schools, you may have noticed the schedules and classes have all changed.  We still
have very strict and rigid guidelines which may vary from school to school (public system) such as:  nobody allowed to go to english rooms, science rooms, any classrooms where they share the facility with all grades in the school.   You have to go to the homerooms (I realize half of you already do that anyways so no biggie).

Some places will have plexi glass wall dividers at every desk, no more that 2 ppl allowed to go to bathrooms at a time, every one must walk along a certain path in hallways (they divided the floors up like road traffic....right side goes one way and left side goes the other...you CANNOT CROSS the zones into oncoming human traffic because you might get coronavirus if you do that!).

Other rules such as lunch times have all been divided up so that everyone is not eating at the same time.

Also, from grade 3 and up will only come out to school for 2 days at a time, meaning 3 days they will stay at home (remember I suggested this format about 2 months ago??? and they are rolling it out now).

Now here's the part that interests English teachers.  You'll notice that some of you have this thing called "online English" in your schedules.  It doesn't mean you are teaching that class.  That means it's a component where the students stay at home and continue online english study as they have been already....whether it is using EBS system or online stuff you the english teacher have already prepared for them.

Why is this important?  Think about it.  It makes sense.   Parents have been saying how they noticed how good some of the EBS english programs are and the kids enjoy it and even want to meet those instructors (they've become popularized like celebrities like PENGU or something like that....and I suggested this also months ago that you'd only need 12 really awesome content creators and get rid of the 4,000 english teachers who are useless right now and just keep on about 1,000).

Parents then also start asking, do we even need english teachers like before?  They are more and more open to the idea of changing how English is being taught and reducing the need for actual english teachers and moving over to a more online format with social events and activities to be scheduled in throughout the year.   This is also making people realize more and more that all this online educations IS NOT SO BAD after all.  It's actually quite good and even better.   This is what I said 2 months ago about schools being overrated (see my thread).

So if students are back in school now and yet we are still continuing this online component....why do you think that is?  Think about it.  Yes, now you see what is happening?  Unbeknownst to most of you out there, they are actually doing a BETA TEST run, an experiment if you will, to see if continuing the online program vs actual english teaching classes are more viable option.   They are going to test this for several more weeks and see how it goes.   What this means is, expect more cuts and reduction in english teachers starting next year.   Once they realize how schools really are overrated (parents and education board), they will be more open to the idea of transitioning a lot of the education into this online platform and format.

This means we'll have a reduction in our roles which would also mean less need to keep a full-time english teacher around just deskwarming for 95% of the time.

Also due to the economy and all the problems that are going to hit the world after covid19 slows down or goes away (which it won't...it will re-occur again as a major issue in the winter so this isn't going to end anytime soon), budget cuts, budget restraints, and lack of funding is going to mean they need to find ways to slash payroll and English will be the first to go because this online stuff is working really well.

There you go.  You heard it from me.  I know some of you think I was over the top about all this way back in February/March but as you can see, my predictions are bang on.  I haven't been wrong yet.   I made my prediction for the rest of the year and next year also.   Watch this.

At all my schools the students still come to the English room. Middle school if it matters.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 09:14:55 am »
The sky is falling.  The sky is falling.  There will be no new teachers this fall due to corona and travel restrictions.  (Current teachers will be renewed.)  I called some kids at home.  They have all told me they hate online school and want to get back to "real" school.  While some learning online is possible.  There is no substitute for a fun engaging person in person.  I believe Corona will die out soon anyways,  So, it will be a moot point.  Now, the liberal party in Korea has always looked for excuses to cut foreign teachers in Korea.  This could be another issue. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:11 am »
It's simple and has been mentioned before.  If you're at a public school you depend on the public budget for your position.  This year, governments across the board have had their expenditures unexpectedly go way up while tax revenues have drastically fallen.  If there are positions for English teachers at public schools next year I will be (pleasantly) surprised.  I was going to move to a new apartment but have decided to just let the landlord at my current place do some upgrades as I do not want to sign on for a two year lease in this climate.  For the first time I envy the newbies and any others still living in school housing. 

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 01:49:15 pm »
You really think parents want to be stuck with their kids at home watching them do their online work? And a good portion will just send their kids to hagwons, which the government absolute hates, and have been trying to find ways to drive out of business since like the 60s.

Yes, I do believe cuts are coming, but physical schools will always have their place for a long, long, time. And they'll keep NETs, question is how many NETs they want.

I do see in the future students given more options on how they want to learn, and online learning is a possible route. But the majority of students (like at least 70%) will probably opt for going to an actual school, since that's where friendships are forged, and you can get away from parents during those teen years when you think your parents are the dumbest people on earth.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 05:26:00 pm »
"inside source". oh come on

anyway, the kids' schedules also have.... online history, online social studies, online korean, online math, online science. it's not just english

at my school at least, 98% of parents wanted their children to return to school (from the school survey). in fact, we're even starting after school english- english being the only after school programme that the parents wanted to start immediately

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 01:04:10 am »
Online public school English?

All the better for us in hagwons. :)

A LOT of parents won't buy TV shows as a replacement.

If a more interactive model were to be developed, with feedback, weekly zoom seminars and text messaging with individual students,... then there could be some real teeth to it.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 04:14:07 am »

If a more interactive model were to be developed, with feedback, weekly zoom seminars and text messaging with individual students,... then there could be some real teeth to it.
There's a lot of research being done on that right now. We'll see what comes of it.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 01:09:34 pm »
Kids are happy to be back to school today.  :)

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 01:36:59 pm »
Kids are happy to be back to school today.  :)

good for you guys.....i'm sure it's different in every school.
At my school, it feels like prison.  No joke.   We are not allowed to talk.  Everyone has to wear masks.  Everyone has to walk 2 meters apart from each other.  We have arrows on the floor telling you which way you can walk and not allowed to walk on the other side.  We have plexi glass dividing some desks, we have no go zones, lunch rotations, and they only come 2 times a week to school while the other 3 they continue online program at home.  We have cancelled all after school programs.  It's horrible.   I even heard the principal say to one of the kids who was talking in the hallway to be quiet because of coronavirus.     Even when the kids were asked to remove their masks for just 2 seconds, they gasped like it was the death penalty.   One kid even thought we aren't allowed to take our masks off during lunch and the teacher said, it's ok, you can take it off when you eat because how else can you eat if you don't take off your mask?

All this and more....it's so over the top. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 02:08:30 pm »
good for you guys.....i'm sure it's different in every school.
At my school, it feels like prison.  No joke.   We are not allowed to talk.  Everyone has to wear masks.  Everyone has to walk 2 meters apart from each other.  We have arrows on the floor telling you which way you can walk and not allowed to walk on the other side.  We have plexi glass dividing some desks, we have no go zones, lunch rotations, and they only come 2 times a week to school while the other 3 they continue online program at home.  We have cancelled all after school programs.  It's horrible.   I even heard the principal say to one of the kids who was talking in the hallway to be quiet because of coronavirus.     Even when the kids were asked to remove their masks for just 2 seconds, they gasped like it was the death penalty.   One kid even thought we aren't allowed to take our masks off during lunch and the teacher said, it's ok, you can take it off when you eat because how else can you eat if you don't take off your mask?

All this and more....it's so over the top. 

Well, okay.  Some of that here today.  Ha ha.  Some distancing, wearing masks.  Though I'm still saying hi from a distance and the kids to me also.  But, I have taught at this school for a couple of years so they know me.  One of my other schools changed so it's a bit more awkward with the distancing I guess.  I take the mask off when in my room.  Just put it on for class though these thicker masks will be horrible in the summer.  (So, I ordered dental surgeon masks for the summer.  Less effective than KF masks but easier to breath.  Ordered some made in America.  No made in China for me.)  Still good to be back to routine. 

But, my situation is not as extreme as yours.  Ha ha. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:10:04 pm by hangook77 »